The Student Room Group

AQA Business Research Theme- UK Manufacturing- June 2015 (BUSS4)

Scroll to see replies

heyy this is not relevant to section A manufacturing but more of section b (cant seem a find a thread for this) anywayy, i would just like to know if anyone knows WHY nokia's retrenchment strategy failed? I know that there were extensive cost cuttings, but how did this retrenchment strategy make them unsuccessful?
thankssss i'd appreciate it if someone reply to this as i've been looking through articles and videos and still cant get my head around it :/
Reply 181
Original post by perkyerky
heyy this is not relevant to section A manufacturing but more of section b (cant seem a find a thread for this) anywayy, i would just like to know if anyone knows WHY nokia's retrenchment strategy failed? I know that there were extensive cost cuttings, but how did this retrenchment strategy make them unsuccessful?
thankssss i'd appreciate it if someone reply to this as i've been looking through articles and videos and still cant get my head around it :/

The whole point of a strategy is to bring a business back to life, Nokia's mistake back then wasn't the fact that they had a large workforce . They weren't as innovative as they should have been when Apple & Samsung came in to compete, they had been to complacent as market leaders . Therefore the retrenchment failed to restore the business because Stephen elop did not redoing with the right strategy. It should have been product development strategic innovation to develop new products to remain competitive . Instead of cutting back by letting go of 40,000 people . It just indicated to stakeholders & analyst that the business was failing & share price dropped significantly after his silly move
i just want to know how are people working through section b?????????

is there any bullet points or headings that we can base section b research on???

Help!:frown::frown:
Reply 183
Original post by mr.cool09
i just want to know how are people working through section b?????????

is there any bullet points or headings that we can base section b research on???

Help!:frown::frown:

Same here, really struggling with section B.If anyone has any case studies they could share that would be great.
Original post by afctom
Same here, really struggling with section B.If anyone has any case studies they could share that would be great.

This may be able to help http://beta.tutor2u.net/business/blog/examples-of-compare-and-contrast-for-buss4-section-b-topics
Reply 185
Original post by afctom

For section B its basically everything u have covered in Unit 4 in your textbook. Look at the contents page of your textbook and look at the topics you have covered in Unit 4 theory and make sure you have business examples to compare and contrast with each topic.
Original post by JTBullen
Very good example of tech change is BAE Systems, obviously as they spend heavily on innovation. However I think the facts that you have aren't irrelevant but they are kind of wasted, there are basically BETTER facts you can have to back up points.
Try to find out:

Products offered, their profit, their revenue, location
Biggest customer (Think UK government buys 1/6th of products)
Possible ethical issues might be good too
Also make sure you get the info on 3D printing as this is an OPPORTUNITY for UK manufacturing for bullet point 5. - How much have they saved on manufacturing prototypes through use of 3D printers?

Thanks, so should I not include the stuff about changing technology in the Glascoed factory and stick to just 3D printing or is that stuff still relevant to an extent?
Original post by ajiri
Hi Katy can you also aswell send me the case studies, I emailed you too btw :smile:

Hi Katy, I emailed you too, would be so grateful if you could send me an email with the info.
Thanks so much xxxx
hi has anyone got any worked answers for section a??? really struggling to get to grips with what i need to write and how much etc..
Reply 189
Original post by ardmoreeducation
hi has anyone got any worked answers for section a??? really struggling to get to grips with what i need to write and how much etc..

Hi PM me your email address and I can send you some over I have from the ZigZag toolkit.
Original post by joe1597
Thanks, so should I not include the stuff about changing technology in the Glascoed factory and stick to just 3D printing or is that stuff still relevant to an extent?

Hi,

That is still relevant but make sure it relates to a point! Such as location and where you can actually use the example :smile:
Could talk about vince cables corperate subsidies for firms if they bring back production to the uk. Corporate tax cut to 21% by the conservatives. regeneration. Eu regulation on small business.
Hi afctom

Can you send me those zigzag toolkit samples as well? I will be really appreciate.
Thank you
Original post by afctom
Hi PM me your email address and I can send you some over I have from the ZigZag toolkit.

Can you send it over to me as well? Thanks a lot.
Reply 194
What case study can I use for contingency planning? Can someone please answer me?
Original post by Soccc
What case study can I use for contingency planning? Can someone please answer me?

Hi, I think this is a good example of a poor contingency plan
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jun/09/bp-oil-spill-contingency-plan

And for a good contingency plan we can talk about Cadburys and the salmonella incident in 2006, it cost them £20m but the contingency plan helped greatly as they were able to react quickly and recall the bars.

Hope I helped :smile:
Original post by yelyahko
Someone please help!!!!!!
I'm having so much trouble deciding on what companies to research.
I've been doing some on GlaxoSmithKline but i'm starting to feel as if it's the worst one to be doing or it doesn't qualify. I've been trying to dig information from their website and other sources but I just don't seem to be getting anywhere!

I'm going to look into Jaguar-Land rover. Is anyone looking at a company that provides a lot of information and hits the criteria?
My teacher recommended getting to know 2 companies in detail but what are you guys doing?

Thanks a lot.

JLR is great for things like: Mergers/Takeovers, Globalisation etc.

Tutor2U also have loads on each bullet point!
Can you use the same business in section A as in section B? What businesses have you chosen to compare for each individual bullet point in section A?
Original post by joe1597
Hi, I got grade B in Buss 1 last year and grade A in Buss 2, hoping for a B altogether but would take a C, really struggling with this Buss 4 and the research. Does anyone know if this would be okay for an example of technological change:
BAE Systems:
-BAE are a global defence, aerospace and security company
- Their factory in Glascoed was still using equipment that dated back to WWII, this caused them to be behind their competitors for a long period of time and they also suffered form low capacity. It can be said that this played a part in six of their nine markets showing a decline.
- However, a £2bn partnering agreement from MASS has enabled them to invest £50m in the Glascoed operations
- This investment will allow them to catch up to their competitors through the implementation of new technology
- The new technology included building new laboratories, automated assembly machines, the expansion of the pyrotechnic facility and bringing in bulk magazine storage facilities
- This new technology will allow them to increase their capacity and become more efficient, therefore reducing costs and allowing them to become more competitive.
Theres stuff about 3D printing too but I've not made that into notes yet

can you please tell me how you got an A in buss2 how did you structure your paragraphs and what was your trick? Thanks.
Original post by Forever4
can you please tell me how you got an A in buss2 how did you structure your paragraphs and what was your trick? Thanks.

Hi, I think to get an A I just made sure to always refer back to the question and fully analyse the case study and apply, so I highlighted stuff for or against the question to help me with my answer. Also expanding is really important so if they're considering using a budget or something don't just write it helps with planning, write it will help them with future planning and could possibly help them to secure a loan or investment. (if this is relevant to the case study)
I cant fully remember what i did because it was a year ago now but as long as you revise well and ensure to refer back to question and expand you should get a good mark. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending