The Student Room Group

Will not doing FM be a disadvantage?

Hello, I am in Year 12 studying Maths, History, Biology and Psychology. I have recently been regretting my sixth form choice as I was lead to believe when I applied that they offered Further Maths, but by the time it was too late I was told they do not offer it.

I really want to do a Mathematics undergrad course at a good university but I am scared they will not accept me as my AS subjects are so broad and I do not have Further Maths. I doubt my sixth form will incorporate Further Maths next year so I won't have a chance to just do the AS.

I was wondering whether taking a Gap year after year 13 would be a good idea so I could do a full A-Level in FM?

Any advice would be good thank you.
Original post by Ben4
Hello, I am in Year 12 studying Maths, History, Biology and Psychology. I have recently been regretting my sixth form choice as I was lead to believe when I applied that they offered Further Maths, but by the time it was too late I was told they do not offer it.

I really want to do a Mathematics undergrad course at a good university but I am scared they will not accept me as my AS subjects are so broad and I do not have Further Maths. I doubt my sixth form will incorporate Further Maths next year so I won't have a chance to just do the AS.

I was wondering whether taking a Gap year after year 13 would be a good idea so I could do a full A-Level in FM?

Any advice would be good thank you.

Sure your gap year idea sounds good. You might also want to think about getting a personal tutor and study further maths alongside your a levels. You should definitely try to apply to uni after year 13 even if you dont have further maths to see if u can get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lyuz
Sure your gap year idea sounds good. You might also want to think about getting a personal tutor and study further maths alongside your a levels. You should definitely try to apply to uni after year 13 even if you dont have further maths to see if u can get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking about asking my sixth form if I could sit the FM exams there and self-teach myself at A2, but do you think I will survive doing Maths A2, History A2 and Further Maths AS+A2?
I think if you have a good career mode on fifa it can make up for no FM
Original post by Ben4
I was thinking about asking my sixth form if I could sit the FM exams there and self-teach myself at A2, but do you think I will survive doing Maths A2, History A2 and Further Maths AS+A2?

Hate to bring bad news, but you will not survive doing that. I'm in Year 13 and took Maths, History, Economics & Politics at AS-Level, and that was a big enough work load. I dropped Politics and considered taking on FM but it's much better to just concentrate on your Maths and get your A*. History is THE most demanding A2 course going, in terms of the knowledge you have to recall in the exam. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ben4

It's definitley doable!! As long as you plan well!!
You could ask your school about studying Further Maths through FMSP http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/

Anyone can access FM online and you may be able to get face-to-face support if you are near a school participating in this.
Reply 7
Original post by liamc1997
Hate to bring bad news, but you will not survive doing that. I'm in Year 13 and took Maths, History, Economics & Politics at AS-Level, and that was a big enough work load. I dropped Politics and considered taking on FM but it's much better to just concentrate on your Maths and get your A*. History is THE most demanding A2 course going, in terms of the knowledge you have to recall in the exam. Hope this helps :smile:

What exam board did you do for History? And thank you for the info! I am looking at Universities and most of the top ones want FM, but some to atleast AS!

Original post by ryanb97
It's definitley doable!! As long as you plan well!!

Thank you!
Have a look at some of the universities that you want to go to and their entry requirements. They may require at least an AS in Further Maths and a certain grade in STEP. I would say it's not too late to teach yourself the AS this year but that would depend on how you're finding the workload already. I think my teachers made sure to include in my reference that I was self-teaching FM as my school did not offer it, which probably helped with my application for Maths.

Whether it's doable is up to you, I s'pose. I took up AS and A2 in Year 13 along with A2 Maths, Physics and Chemistry and I'm studying at Bath. Good luck!
Original post by Ben4
What exam board did you do for History? And thank you for the info! I am looking at Universities and most of the top ones want FM, but some to atleast AS!

Thank you!

Edexcel is my Hisory Exam board. Doing FM to AS will definitely be doable, and you can inform your Uni's that you weren't able to do it to A2 for specific reasons.
Original post by SeanFM
Have a look at some of the universities that you want to go to and their entry requirements. They may require at least an AS in Further Maths and a certain grade in STEP. I would say it's not too late to teach yourself the AS this year but that would depend on how you're finding the workload already. I think my teachers made sure to include in my reference that I was self-teaching FM as my school did not offer it, which probably helped with my application for Maths.

Whether it's doable is up to you, I s'pose. I took up AS and A2 in Year 13 along with A2 Maths, Physics and Chemistry and I'm studying at Bath. Good luck!

Oh! what grades did you come out with after year 13? So you did A2 Maths, A2 Physics, A2 Chemistry and AS+A2 FM? That seems like a lot more than what I was going to do!
Original post by liamc1997
Edexcel is my Hisory Exam board. Doing FM to AS will definitely be doable, and you can inform your Uni's that you weren't able to do it to A2 for specific reasons.

Edexcel is my history exam board too! Yes I was thinking about just doing AS FM in Year 13, I will further consider what I should do.
Have you spoken to your sixth form about taking part in the Further Maths Support Programme?
My school don't offer A2 FM, and timetable clashes meant that I couldn't do AS FM in Year 13, so they put me and one A2 FM student into said programme so we could do them.
Original post by loperdoper
Have you spoken to your sixth form about taking part in the Further Maths Support Programme?
My school don't offer A2 FM, and timetable clashes meant that I couldn't do AS FM in Year 13, so they put me and one A2 FM student into said programme so we could do them.

I have never heard about that Programme before, I am finding it hard to understand what it does could you explain please? :smile:
Original post by Ben4
I have never heard about that Programme before, I am finding it hard to understand what it does could you explain please? :smile:

It's basically what it says on the tin, it's there to help you with 'revision' for FM, but you can also sign up through school to have online/face to face lessons outside of school
Original post by Ben4
Oh! what grades did you come out with after year 13? So you did A2 Maths, A2 Physics, A2 Chemistry and AS+A2 FM? That seems like a lot more than what I was going to do!

Yeah, I did all of those. It helped that Maths and Further Maths felt similar in terms of what was expected of me, as did Physics and Chemistry. Not sure how balancing History instead of Physics and Chemistry at A2 would've worked or whether the two combined requires more work than History..

I ended up with A*AAB with the A* in Maths and the B in Chemistry. It took alot of work juggling 5 things at once. My school advised me that I was spreading myself out too thinly. Yeah, I could've done better but even with that workload I think by exam time I was like.. nope, I've done all I need to, I can't say that I didn't work hard enough, etc.

I originally planned to do BOTH AEA and STEP (before I knew what they actually were) but ended up not doing either. Phew. Again, whether you need to take those exams should affect your decision.

So yeah.. I'd recommend doing at least the AS. It shouldn't be too stretching if you're doing A2 maths and you pick the right modules for it. It's also never too early to start looking at unis, courses and entry requirements.
Original post by SeanFM
Yeah, I did all of those. It helped that Maths and Further Maths felt similar in terms of what was expected of me, as did Physics and Chemistry. Not sure how balancing History instead of Physics and Chemistry at A2 would've worked or whether the two combined requires more work than History..

I ended up with A*AAB with the A* in Maths and the B in Chemistry. It took alot of work juggling 5 things at once. My school advised me that I was spreading myself out too thinly. Yeah, I could've done better but even with that workload I think by exam time I was like.. nope, I've done all I need to, I can't say that I didn't work hard enough, etc.

I originally planned to do BOTH AEA and STEP (before I knew what they actually were) but ended up not doing either. Phew. Again, whether you need to take those exams should affect your decision.

So yeah.. I'd recommend doing at least the AS. It shouldn't be too stretching if you're doing A2 maths and you pick the right modules for it. It's also never too early to start looking at unis, courses and entry requirements.

Wow! Congratulations on your amazing grades! I don't think History would be more work than Chemistry and Physics together, I will definitely try to do atleast AS in FM, I have heard about AEA and STEP but I don't really know what they are or what they test as my school or no one has informed me yet :biggrin:
Original post by Ben4

You choose the modules you want to do for FM, and then you have online lessons with a tutor once/twice a week who teaches you the content. You also have access to a site called integral, which has tests and revision notes for your modules.
Original post by Ben4
Wow! Congratulations on your amazing grades! I don't think History would be more work than Chemistry and Physics together, I will definitely try to do atleast AS in FM, I have heard about AEA and STEP but I don't really know what they are or what they test as my school or no one has informed me yet :biggrin:

Cheers. Don't be too worried about them for now, it just gives you a clearer idea of what's going on for you next year if you know whether you have to take them or not, depending on whether the universities you want to go to require you to take them.

I'm not sure whether your school'll tell you about STEP and AEA - if you're going to a better 6th form than mine was then they might. I'm sure that if you ask whoever's involved with applying to universities at your school they'll either know about the tests already or they can do some research and get back to you. It's best to look them up to see what's expected of you, see how other students found it and what kind of questions are asked. Better to be proactive I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest