The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There seems to be a number of people spouting the whole "do what you love" line. It's nice to be idealistic but idealism doesn't pay your bills.

I don't think it's healthy to keep suggesting to people that they should forsake a career in a field with stability, just because they like biomedical science. In my previous post I mentioned that I was sitting my final exams, I passed and as I suspected there are no jobs for graduates. A cursory glance at the NHS jobs website will show you mountains of positions searching for people who are already IBMS and HCPC certified with lab experience, but nothing for graduates. I've even spoken to recruiters who told me the only way you'll get your foot in the door is taking one of the rare Medical Lab Assistant positions and hoping a trainee BMS position opens up. So congrats, you just graduated your £8-9k per year degree and you're expected to take a job that pays less than a call centre worker for an indefinite period of time.

Don't do it, if you like biomedical science as a subject read the papers, buy the text books, and indulge yourself in the field, but do not waste your only chance at a student loan on a career that isn't going to pay, because when it comes time for you to settle down, raise a family and support more that just yourself, all but a tiny minority of people who take that degree will end up regretting it. I graduated with a class of about 130 students, I know of 7 people who are employed in the field, all of them got on the Healthcare Science route with the exception of 1 who had a family member who got them into a private job.
I am starting to think Biomedical Science is a Useless degree. I have no idea what I am doing anymore. I did my degree 2010-2013. At that time, they didn't have the 4 year course that enables you to do a porfolio and work for a year. I got a 2:1
Then for a year i worked in a restaurant. Then, for 5 months I worked as an MLA with the NHS, but I only got this job as someone else left. I was initially rejected. but due to medical health I had to leave and work as an adminstration assistant which I didn't mind. The manager and staff was lovely and it was good for my health too. After I did my MSc in Biomedical Science..... hopping this would help with career, but i was wrong.
I have applied for more MLA jobs, nothing. either due to experience.
I applied for Admin, again rejected as another person had more experience and stronger application

I do have limitations due to my health. so it has been hard. I have learning disabilities so my memory is awful, I can't retain anything i learn, and my maths is extrememly awful, I can't even to the basics... ( during my education I avoided the maths and missed those questions, or got a friend to do it to for me lol). and have bad comprehension impairment so when it comes to numeracy and literacy tests / assesments, I always fail.

But yeah.... I even applied for PhD studentship in cardiovascular medicine as I did my MSc Project on that and also CVD is interesting and would like to further purse that, but even those I have been rejected :frown:
So I don't know.
i applied for 999 call handler and 111 handler job too. Waiting on those.

Anyone else struggling?? and regretting their decision?
Original post by fskhan2808
I am starting to think Biomedical Science is a Useless degree. I have no idea what I am doing anymore. I did my degree 2010-2013. At that time, they didn't have the 4 year course that enables you to do a porfolio and work for a year. I got a 2:1
Then for a year i worked in a restaurant. Then, for 5 months I worked as an MLA with the NHS, but I only got this job as someone else left. I was initially rejected. but due to medical health I had to leave and work as an adminstration assistant which I didn't mind. The manager and staff was lovely and it was good for my health too. After I did my MSc in Biomedical Science..... hopping this would help with career, but i was wrong.
I have applied for more MLA jobs, nothing. either due to experience.
I applied for Admin, again rejected as another person had more experience and stronger application

I do have limitations due to my health. so it has been hard. I have learning disabilities so my memory is awful, I can't retain anything i learn, and my maths is extrememly awful, I can't even to the basics... ( during my education I avoided the maths and missed those questions, or got a friend to do it to for me lol). and have bad comprehension impairment so when it comes to numeracy and literacy tests / assesments, I always fail.

But yeah.... I even applied for PhD studentship in cardiovascular medicine as I did my MSc Project on that and also CVD is interesting and would like to further purse that, but even those I have been rejected :frown:
So I don't know.
i applied for 999 call handler and 111 handler job too. Waiting on those.

Yeah, I guess. Was unhappy with the decision to take biomed in 2nd year. Finished the 4 year course, got work as MLA for short time, now find myself back at uni doing a masters in molecular medicine. No passion for it either, but no real other choices as to what to do right now
Original post by mine turtle
Yeah, I guess. Was unhappy with the decision to take biomed in 2nd year. Finished the 4 year course, got work as MLA for short time, now find myself back at uni doing a masters in molecular medicine. No passion for it either, but no real other choices as to what to do right now

So you decided you were unhappy with what you had done and thought 'you know what, I'll do something relatively similar as a masters'

Have you tried general grad schemes etc (and others like accounting)

or try teaching yourself how to program and develop a portfolio and get a job in software development?
Original post by madmadmax321
So you decided you were unhappy with what you had done and thought 'you know what, I'll do something relatively similar as a masters'

Have you tried general grad schemes etc (and others like accounting)

or try teaching yourself how to program and develop a portfolio and get a job in software development?

I've started and should get back on it
Original post by fskhan2808

Yes

I offered to volunteer and they said no due to "governance issues".
I applied for well over 50 positions.
I managed to get one interview for an MLA position - "Oh well you answered the questions perfectly but you didn't mention all of the 6 C's of Care."
The interviewer mentioned that they had an opening for a band 5 post and they'll accept trainees so I applied for that when I got home.
Did all my research on the 6 C's etc.
1 month later, I got an interview for the BMS post, same hospital and interviewer - "You answered the questions perfectly but you lack lab experience and we had state registered applicants apply, maybe try for an MLA post to get experience."
It took every ounce of restraint I have to not blurt out "***** you've got to be ****ing kidding me".

I'm ****ing done, the degree is utterly worthless, a total waste of time, money and effort. I took the degree because I wanted to get away from being forced to practically scam people in endless retail jobs, I wanted to do some good with my life, maybe help people. But all this system does it take any ounce of goodwill you have and **** you with it, nobody wants to train anyone, all they want are perfect applicants to turn up on their doorstep on a silver platter, and one day university applicants are going to wise up and choose alternative degrees, and I hope the entire system burns through lack of staff once the old guard dies or retires.
My ex did BMS and graduated in 2013... shes never managed to get above a Band 3/4 post in 5 years and she cant progress unless she does a portfolio... which her hospital have no interest in offering.
Original post by Ramiren
Yes

I offered to volunteer and they said no due to "governance issues".
I applied for well over 50 positions.
I managed to get one interview for an MLA position - "Oh well you answered the questions perfectly but you didn't mention all of the 6 C's of Care."
The interviewer mentioned that they had an opening for a band 5 post and they'll accept trainees so I applied for that when I got home.
Did all my research on the 6 C's etc.
1 month later, I got an interview for the BMS post, same hospital and interviewer - "You answered the questions perfectly but you lack lab experience and we had state registered applicants apply, maybe try for an MLA post to get experience."
It took every ounce of restraint I have to not blurt out "***** you've got to be ****ing kidding me".

I'm ****ing done, the degree is utterly worthless, a total waste of time, money and effort. I took the degree because I wanted to get away from being forced to practically scam people in endless retail jobs, I wanted to do some good with my life, maybe help people. But all this system does it take any ounce of goodwill you have and **** you with it, nobody wants to train anyone, all they want are perfect applicants to turn up on their doorstep on a silver platter, and one day university applicants are going to wise up and choose alternative degrees, and I hope the entire system burns through lack of staff once the old guard dies or retires.

Took the words straight out my mouth.
Original post by SophieSmall
Took the words straight out my mouth.

It gets better, I've had another two interviews since then for band 2 and 3 MLA positions, and another two "Your answers were perfect but other applicants had more experience". That's hundreds of applications, 4 interviews, 3 of which were entry level jobs, all of which were taken by someone with more experience.

I'm done, there are no more jobs in my region to apply for, I've literally applied for every pathology related post I can get to, this field is a joke and any university claiming there are prospects in this degree wants suing.
(edited 5 years ago)
NHS Scotland have BMS vacancies!
This is mental, I’m coming to the end of my placement year in a Haematology and blood transfusion lab and I still have to go do final year yet and I’ve been offered a job already (conditional on passing final year and obtaining registration)!
Original post by Daveboi115
This is mental, I’m coming to the end of my placement year in a Haematology and blood transfusion lab and I still have to go do final year yet and I’ve been offered a job already (conditional on passing final year and obtaining registration)!

Congrats, but it's important to remember that for every person like you, there are hundreds of other students struggling in an oversaturated industry, who didn't get the benefit of being able to give the NHS a year of free work in exchange for a chance at a job.
Surely someone could've foreseen whether or not their degree would be accredited or not. Even my ex-poly uni has accredited IBMS courses, with most students ending up in teaching hospitals. I know someone else at a higher ranking uni, which is also accredited coming off a year in the NHS, its not really the degree that's got a problem. Probably just lack of research from those complaining.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Surely someone could've foreseen whether or not their degree would be accredited or not. Even my ex-poly uni has accredited IBMS courses, with most students ending up in teaching hospitals. I know someone else at a higher ranking uni, which is also accredited coming off a year in the NHS, its not really the degree that's got a problem. Probably just lack of research from those complaining.

You make it sound like universities sell their degrees fairly. As a student applying for a Biomedical Science degree, I knew I wanted to do Healthcare Science but only one university remotely close to me offered it. I was told at that university you had to apply for Biomedical Science then transfer into Healthcare Science which is what I did. What they neglected to mention is that there were only 7 Healthcare Science places available amongst 140+ students, we only found this out halfway through the first year. Of all the universities I visited before taking my degree, the ones who were IBMS accredited played up the value of accreditation and those who were not accredited downplayed it's value. Students can't make informed and researched decisions when universities act like they're trying to flog you something, rather than behaving like an educational institution.
Original post by ramiren
you make it sound like universities sell their degrees fairly. As a student applying for a biomedical science degree, i knew i wanted to do healthcare science but only one university remotely close to me offered it. I was told at that university you had to apply for biomedical science then transfer into healthcare science which is what i did. What they neglected to mention is that there were only 7 healthcare science places available amongst 140+ students, we only found this out halfway through the first year. Of all the universities i visited before taking my degree, the ones who were ibms accredited played up the value of accreditation and those who were not accredited downplayed it's value. Students can't make informed and researched decisions when universities act like they're trying to flog you something, rather than behaving like an educational institution.

excellent observation.... !!
What hospitals still have oncall system?

As its all shifting towards the shift system that pays less than oncall system especially for the sub disciplines of pathology where night working is required..

Any thoughts...
Original post by Ramiren
You make it sound like universities sell their degrees fairly. As a student applying for a Biomedical Science degree, I knew I wanted to do Healthcare Science but only one university remotely close to me offered it. I was told at that university you had to apply for Biomedical Science then transfer into Healthcare Science which is what I did. What they neglected to mention is that there were only 7 Healthcare Science places available amongst 140+ students, we only found this out halfway through the first year. Of all the universities I visited before taking my degree, the ones who were IBMS accredited played up the value of accreditation and those who were not accredited downplayed it's value. Students can't make informed and researched decisions when universities act like they're trying to flog you something, rather than behaving like an educational institution.

1. Did you not think to ask/look into what the competition is like? Its a bit silly not too

2. of course unis will up play that they are ibms accredited as it is part of what is needed to become a bio med scientist on the nhs, its up to the student to look at the rest of the requirements and how hard they are to meet (unis want a students money so arent going to say all the bad points, this goes for all non-vocational courses). Or Unis downplay importance of ibms if they dont have it as they know how few students go into roles that require it therefore for most people it doesnt matter and they will say this to try and attract the students to come to them so they get their money

3. Its not that difficult to make informed decisions, people just need to go to more unbiased sources. You wouldn't ask a tobacco company the health risks + benefits of smoking as obviously you will get biased, only partially true answers. unis are a money driven, educational institutions, thats why they wont tell you the bad points and also why they arent too bothered about the employment side, its up to the uni to provide the means to get the degree (ie the thing you pay for), its up to the student to make informed decisions on what that degree can give them career wise + how to make them employable + what the competition is like. At the end of the day, for non-vocational courses, you are paying the uni for the means to get a degree and thats what you get, nothing more nothing less
Name me an "unbiased source".

The universities are biased towards selling you something.
The NHS and IBMS are biased towards making the career look healthy and accessible.
Websites like this are full of people like you downplaying the fact educational institutions act like salesmen rather than educators.

Where exactly are these unbiased sources?
Original post by Ramiren
Name me an "unbiased source".

The universities are biased towards selling you something.
The NHS and IBMS are biased towards making the career look healthy and accessible.
Websites like this are full of people like you downplaying the fact educational institutions act like salesmen rather than educators.

Where exactly are these unbiased sources?

It doesn’t take long to google search what becoming a biomedical scientist entails, surely if you’re smart enough to get into uni you can do that too. My friend coming out of a year in a hospital lab for placement, didn’t need to ‘afford’ to give the NHS a year of her time, it was covered by her student loan and she was able to get a full loan for living costs and didn’t even pay tuition fees because it was for the NHS.
Original post by Dinasaurus
It doesn’t take long to google search what becoming a biomedical scientist entails, surely if you’re smart enough to get into uni you can do that too. My friend coming out of a year in a hospital lab for placement, didn’t need to ‘afford’ to give the NHS a year of her time, it was covered by her student loan and she was able to get a full loan for living costs and didn’t even pay tuition fees because it was for the NHS.

The problem isn't knowing how to become a Biomedical Scientist, the problem is universities misselling the means to get there, whether that's grossly overstating the value of the degree, lying about placements and healthcare science availability, or just outright lying about how healthy the field is in terms of job prospects. We had lecturers telling us from year 1 to year 3 that we could join the NHS in a band 5 position, an outright lie. We were shocked in year 3 when we had a member of the NHS Northern Genetics Service attend during one of our last lectures, and outright told us there were no jobs, the only person in 3 years to tell us the truth.

As for affording to give the NHS her time. The student loan is a loan, it's not free and assuming her degree actually pays off, she'll be paying that back. All she's done is offset the cost of giving the NHS a year of her time free of charge. The fact of the matter is the NHS is a government institution, and it has a monopoly on the experience required to work in their labs, they're leveraging that monopoly in order to get free work out of students rather than hiring and then training people after graduation.

Latest

Trending

Trending