The Student Room Group

Do Asians and brown / black people often get labelled as 'islamic or muslim'?

i has in london quite recently nearby the American embassy and overheard some asian dude getting stopped by the police there for a 'chat' and take down details They said it was because of current problems and heightened security - he reacted angrily saying it was because he wasnt white and they think he looked 'a bit muslim' , even though he wasnt one.

even though i think policing is pretty dumbed down these days, especially anything to do with the americans and embassy, do you accept this sort of steerotyping or does it bother you?

Scroll to see replies

Never been stopped by police or searched or anything like that, but I do get confused of being Muslim by people just because I'm brown.

Spoiler

I've never seen anybody Black labelled 'Islamic'.
Reply 3
Original post by Catholic_
I've never seen anybody Black labelled 'Islamic'.

some uni friends of mine told me they got stopped week after 7/7 , joked with the officer it was a change for being stopped for maybe being muslim bomber instead of being suspected as a black gang member
Reply 4
Original post by Stickman
Never been stopped by police or searched or anything like that, but I do get confused of being Muslim by people just because I'm brown.

Spoiler

sikhs get it the worst i heard, because some wear turbans like the taliban have, and they grow their beards way down i heard in places like america and australia their temples got graffitt'd
Reply 5
its a big problem for indians who are sikh or hindu these days. ive been stopped by the police once
Reply 6
**** yes, as an Indian i hate this.

I never used to experience much, if any racial discrimination until 9/11.

Nothing I hate more than being confused for a Muslim or Pakistani.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll never accept this stereotyping and I'll never give my details to the police if they have no valid reason (no I don't accept heightened security and me being asian as valid)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty sure everyone brown at the airports...
being islamic has negative conatations, so i can see why they may got annoyed. its part and parcel of modern life unfortunatly, islam is very much in the media currently, and people are ignorant as to who are muslims and who arnt
Reply 10
based on the comments above... you can tell about a man's religion from his face and skin color?

Interesting.
Reply 11
Original post by WiFi
based on the comments above... you can tell about a man's religion from his face and skin color?

Interesting.

Asians can, for the most part. Take me through a town and I'll show you a Muslim, Hindu or Sikh based on their face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by WiFi

Interesting.

yeh, agree with the above, you can to an extent, given that paksitanis have a certian facial type, nose size, eyebrows etc, and indian who are generally not muslim, look different again and probably have more variation becuase its a far larger country with differnt ethnic groups. banglasdehsis have a 'look' too as do afgans and arabs. but youd only get to learn this out of experience and meeting a lot of differnt asian people. most police seem a bit think on this area
See this is the only thing to do with Islam that is actually racist.
Yes. This old man in Central London called me a racist term for Pakistani... I'm not even Pakistani...
Original post by NishaaaR
Yes. This old man in Central London called me a racist term for Pakistani... I'm not even Pakistani...

The word 'Paki' when used in a racist way by Whites generally doesn't specifically just refer to Pakistanis, it's all South Asians. They don't care if you're Pakistani, Indian or Sri Lankan, you're still 'Paki' to them.
(edited 9 years ago)
This Hindu guy I know got called Muhammad because of his skin tone. Many Sikh girls are mistaken as Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ravenous
The word 'Paki' when used in a racist way by Whites generally doesn't specifically just refer to Pakistanis, it's all South Asians. They don't care if you're Pakistani, Indian or Sri Lankan, you're still 'Paki' to them.

Aye! It sucks, huh?
Yes...I'm Sri Lankan Hindu and this happens

No offence taken usually
Hindu Indian Punjabi.. Mistaken for a paki quite often (since tbf, my ancestory is from what is now Pakistan)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending