Turn on thread page Beta

Is there an unseen issue with Islamophobia on this site? watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been a member for long but was curious to see the responses. I would 100% agree that their is a collective anti-religion vibe on here.

I myself have recieved various angry responses for mentioning Christianity or Jesus. There are not so many nice comments about Islam. Many may have come from myself in regards to ISIS or issues around the world facing Christians.

ReputationRep:
    Islamophobia makes the ridiculous assumption that fear and hatred of Islam is somehow irrational !!

ReputationRep:
    LOL, only takes an hour here to realise the extent of the Islamophobia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Native Briton-)
    Islamophobia makes the ridiculous assumption that fear and hatred of Islam is somehow irrational !!
    Exactly, because it isn't irrational. Those, for the lack of a better word, FREAKS are sadists. IDK what they teach them in that religion that's so terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It's definitely not an unseen issue...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Arieisit)
    Exactly, because it isn't irrational. Those, for the lack of a better word, FREAKS are sadists. IDK what they teach them in that religion that's so terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Proving the stereotype right there.

OP there are a lot of self-righteous internet "warriors" on this site, exhibit A^, but I hope the issue is being dealt with.. discussion has been stifled for a long time and many can't seem to hold up good etiquette without having to jump into a flagrant tirade of something akin to "I'm right and you're wrong".

I've said it many times that the discussion side of the Religion forum is a cesspit, mostly caused by trolls and poor moderation

Here's a test: look to the right side, where the tabs are, look under 'Latest Discussions' ..I bet you'll find at least one listed thread related to Islam at all times, usually by the same trolls - 'hur dur muslamics are doing it again, it's islam at it again':pierre:

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely a lot of islamophobia here. There are also even more legitimate criticisms too.
    Lots are troll accounts/troll posts because Muslims always provide a reaction. The famous Tamil troll guy started a lot of the Islamophobia here and he himself has told me he doesn't have a problem with Islam or Muslims lol.

Overall I think there is islamophobia but there'd be less if Muslims didn't react to it, every time at least.

The anti religion vibe is real too, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, for all of you who don't believe in religion, do you think that you are on this planet just because of an accident? (big bang) If so then you believe that there is no purpose to life - that you simply live to die, and once you die there is just emptiness. No memories, no soul, nothing. Personally, I would not be able to get myself out of bed if I was in your position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasin97)
    Just out of interest, for all of you who don't believe in religion, do you think that you are on this planet just because of an accident? (big bang) If so then you believe that there is no purpose to life - that you simply live to die, and once you die there is just emptiness. No memories, no soul, nothing. Personally, I would not be able to get myself out of bed if I was in your position.
    A persons purpose in life is whatever they make it to be. And do you believe that a magic man in the sky waved his wand and people popped out of thin air ?

The fact that you could not get out of bed is bizzare ??? why would you not be able to get out of bed if you were an atheist ?

Personally i think your allah is evil who advocates rape, genocide, murder, enslavement etc

Your religion makes this planet a worse place to live in !

ReputationRep:
    That's what I believe. I get out of bed because I enjoy living life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getfunky!)
    Proving the stereotype right there.

OP there are a lot of self-righteous internet "warriors" on this site, exhibit A^, but I hope the issue is being dealt with.. discussion has been stifled for a long time and many can't seem to hold up good etiquette without having to jump into a flagrant tirade of something akin to "I'm right and you're wrong".

I've said it many times that the discussion side of the Religion forum is a cesspit, mostly caused by trolls and poor moderation

Here's a test: look to the right side, where the tabs are, look under 'Latest Discussions' ..I bet you'll find at least one listed thread related to Islam at all times, usually by the same trolls - 'hur dur muslamics are doing it again, it's islam at it again':pierre:
    Yes, all Muslims are not like that, but let me you something buddy, all stereotypes have truth in their origins!

ReputationRep:
    This would be predicated on the basis that it is irrational. Which it is. Therefore the assumption would be entirely correct.

ReputationRep:
    Belief in a deity does not necessarily confer a purpose in life.

Personally my purpose in life is self-improvement, success and to care for those around me who mean a great deal to me.

None of those things require me to believe in God and I would argue that all of them can be considered valid. That is just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    There is definitely a lot of islamophobia here. There are also even more legitimate criticisms too.
    Lots are troll accounts/troll posts because Muslims always provide a reaction. The famous Tamil troll guy started a lot of the Islamophobia here and he himself has told me he doesn't have a problem with Islam or Muslims lol.

Overall I think there is islamophobia but there'd be less if Muslims didn't react to it, every time at least.

The anti religion vibe is real too, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Isn't this like saying "it's her fault for wearing a short skirt"?

ReputationRep:
    Islam an feminist are the most hated things on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catholic_)
    I haven't been a member for long but was curious to see the responses. I would 100% agree that their is a collective anti-religion vibe on here.

I myself have recieved various angry responses for mentioning Christianity or Jesus. There are not so many nice comments about Islam. Many may have come from myself in regards to ISIS or issues around the world facing Christians.
    Nope. All you're seeing is what's typical of certain supporters of right wing groups who are basically encouraged to "spread their message" online on various forums etc i.e. trolling. TSR just so happens to be a very popular forum and so is an ideal target for these trolls.

I would like to assume it's in no way reflective of the average student or the average Brit (as TSR is predominantly used by British students as a British website).

ReputationRep:
    I would not call the big bang "an accident". But I would not say that there was an agent behind it.

Nope, life forms are simply organisms (carbon-based machines driven by chemical reactions) that are programmed to reproduce. There is no evidence that souls exist and memories are literally fabrications of your brain to fit reality. What you consider "yourself" is a merely a constantly changing group of particles whose only constant is the particles in your brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catholic_)

It appears the vast majority of TSR users cannot grasp the idea of a belief, and think they can argue somebody out of their faith.

The same people are guilty of some pretty serious racism and generalisation (you know because all muslims or whatever..... One of three things will happen - you will get sick enough of it to leave, you will manage to ignore threads where it is prevalent, or end up tolerating it.

ReputationRep:
    Genuine criticism of the religion - rational.

Blaming the entire religion and all of its members for a minority of violent extremists - irrational.

And on top of that you get the whole "muslims are taking over" narrative. Which is definitely irrational as well as simply incorrect.

There is a fine line between Islamophobia and genuine criticism of Islam. Too many people cross that line.

A bit like how there's a difference between legitimate concerns about immigration, and the racist concerns about it.

ReputationRep:
    I went through a brief spell of crippling nihilism when I was a young teen and found that I didn't care about anything because it was all meaningless anyway.

I still believe that but I choose to get on with it. I still only have one life whether I do something with it or not. So I choose to have a good one, free from the worry of judgement of my life choices upon my death.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.