dontmindme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How does the 3D structure of proteins enable enzymes to perform their functions as biological catalysts?

I'm so confused!

I think it has something to do with their bonds but I'm not entirely sure. Does it involve the lock and key theory?
Phoebe♥
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Enzymes are proteins which have a tertiary (i think?) structure and this means that they have a complex shape, enabling substrates to be very specific to the enzyme (they have to have the shape which fits in)
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The lock and key theory involves the enzymes having a specific active site that is complementary to the substrate. The 3D structure will form the active site, allowing them to form the enzyme-substrate complex seen in the lock and key theory.

(Bonds within enzymes help form the tertiary structure, which is the 3D structure of the enzyme - so it does sort of have something to do with bonds, in a way)
Dan12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dontmindme)
How does the 3D structure of proteins enable enzymes to perform their functions as biological catalysts?

I'm so confused!

I think it has something to do with their bonds but I'm not entirely sure. Does it involve the lock and key theory?
Yes you're on the right track. The bonds in the tertiary structure determine an enzymes efficiency.

e.g. if the active site is positively charged (ionic bonds), +vely charged substrates would repel, where -vely charged substrates would be attracted.

similar approach with the other bonds associated with tertiary structure.
dontmindme
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dan12)
Yes you're on the right track. The bonds in the tertiary structure determine an enzymes efficiency.

e.g. if the active site is positively charged (ionic bonds), +vely charged substrates would repel, where -vely charged substrates would be attracted.

similar approach with the other bonds associated with tertiary structure.
Thanks soo much! Sorry its late haha
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dontmindme)

I'm so confused!

3D structure? do you mean the tertiary one of the proteins?

As you surely know, the different proteins emerge by different combinations of amino acids. These ones are bonding by the amino group of the one amino acid and the carboxyl group of the other one, when these amino acids are get into the charge state. After that a peptide bond hold these amino acids together. Another peptide bonds cause that more amino acids are bonding to a sequence, so a primary structure emerges.

These primary structures are bonding by ionic and hydrogen bonds to the secondary bonds, and the secondary bonds are bonding by disulfide bonds, at the end the tertiary structure was created.

According to what combinations of amino acids have existed in the primary stuctures before, the tertiary structure gets a certain function as biological catalyst.

I know there was an answer before, but I would explain you the background.
dontmindme
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
3D structure? do you mean the tertiary one of the proteins?

As you surely know, the different proteins emerge by different combinations of amino acids. These ones are bonding by the amino group of the one amino acid and the carboxyl group of the other one, when these amino acids are get into the charge state. After that a peptide bond hold these amino acids together. Another peptide bonds cause that more amino acids are bonding to a sequence, so a primary structure emerges.

These primary structures are bonding by ionic and hydrogen bonds to the secondary bonds, and the secondary bonds are bonding by disulfide bonds, at the end the tertiary structure was created.

According to what combinations of amino acids have existed in the primary stuctures before, the tertiary structure gets a certain function as biological catalyst.

I know there was an answer before, but I would explain you the background.
Thanks, that more than explains the answer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (63)
4.52%
Uncertainty around my education (216)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (153)
10.98%
Lack of purpose or motivation (198)
14.21%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (60)
4.31%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (81)
5.81%
Loneliness (124)
8.9%
Financial worries (48)
3.45%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (64)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (66)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (72)
5.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (120)
8.61%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (128)
9.19%

Watched Threads