Need some advice on applying to universities in the UK

Watch
fman96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hello all, first time posting on this website so yea hello once again. Anyway i was looking for some advice on my predicted grades. my as level grades were mathematics at 'a' economics at 'a' literature at 'c' and accounting at 'c'. I have a predicted grade of a in maths and economics though im missing the A* by a slight margin. for english literature its a 'b' and for accounts its 'c'. im looking to apply for economics and philosophy at ucl (A*AA) edinburgh (AAA-BBB) york (AAA) bristol (AAA) and cardiff (ABB). i was wondering if these choices are achievable and whether its possible to make my predicted grades in math and economics into A*s because the margin is really very small and i can definitely achieve them.
im also resitting english literature in the hopes of improving the 'c' (got an A* in o levels). any insight would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance. Just about any advice would also help a lot, tend to over think a lot.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
why are you continuing with 4 alevels hen you only need 3. give yourself more time over 3 subjects.
fman96
Rep:
?
My parents are forcing me to do it. Would it make a difference if I continued with it and don't end up with a good grade?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I took my son to an open day for maths at durham 3 years ago. the lecturer there said I don't care if you got 6 a levels or not. the only thing that interests me is the quality of 3 a levels. they wanted a*aa. they are one of the leading unis so theres your answer. by doing 4 alevels you are putting yourself at risk of not getting the grades the unis want. speak to admissions tutors for further advice and feel free to show this response to your parents
Guills on wheels
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fman96)
My parents are forcing me to do it. Would it make a difference if I continued with it and don't end up with a good grade?
Yes.

If you do three A levels, Universities won't give you any less preference than those who do 4.

The only difference is that you may receive offers for four a levels, which will put pressure on you doing lit with three mathsy subjects.

If your parents cared at all about your future they'd make you do three.
fman96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guills on wheels)
Yes.

If you do three A levels, Universities won't give you any less preference than those who do 4.

The only difference is that you may receive offers for four a levels, which will put pressure on you doing lit with three mathsy subjects.

If your parents cared at all about your future they'd make you do three.
Oh man. In that case I've got some thinking to do. Thanks everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads