The Student Room Group

FP3 Differential Equations Help

A curve passing through the point (1,1) has the property that, at each point P of the curve, the gradient of the curve is 1 less than the gradient of OP. Find the equation of the curve.

Would really appreciate some help on this guys, thanks xx
Reply 1
Original post by tbhlouise
A curve passing through the point (1,1) has the property that, at each point P of the curve, the gradient of the curve is 1 less than the gradient of OP. Find the equation of the curve.

You'd have got a faster response in the Maths Forum.
As for your question, it will help to let: PP be the variable point (x,y)(x,y)
Then, define the gradient of OPOP in terms of xx and yy.
More advice:

Spoiler

If you have any trouble just quote me :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Moved to Maths forum :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by joostan
You'd have got a faster response in the Maths Forum.
As for your question, it will help to let: PP be the variable point (x,y)(x,y)
Then, define the gradient of OPOP in terms of xx and yy.
More advice:

Spoiler

If you have any trouble just quote me :smile:

Thanks for the guidance! :smile: Got the right answer of y=x(1-lnx)
Reply 4
Thanks for the guidance! :smile: Got the right answer of y=x(1-lnx)

Excellent, no worries :smile:
Reply 5
Bit stuck on this one as well :s-smilie:

Got up to x.qu^q-1 du/dx + 2u^q= x^2.u^3q but don't know what to do next :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Bit stuck on this one as well :s-smilie:

Got up to x.qu^q-1 du/dx + 2u^q= x^2.u^3q but don't know what to do next :/

I haven't checked your algebra, but I'd suggest dividing both sides of the equation by uq1u^{q-1} and then work out what value of q makes the RHS a lot simpler :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by davros
I haven't checked your algebra, but I'd suggest dividing both sides of the equation by uq1u^{q-1} and then work out what value of q makes the RHS a lot simpler :smile:

Thanks davros! I kind of had to use trial and error to find out q :biggrin:. After a few guesses, I managed to get q=-1/2 which is correct :smile:. I'm pretty worried about FP3 cos this is only the first chapter! :eek:
Reply 8
Thanks davros! I kind of had to use trial and error to find out q :biggrin:. After a few guesses, I managed to get q=-1/2 which is correct :smile:. I'm pretty worried about FP3 cos this is only the first chapter! :eek:

Well done! Remember that you're trying to make the DE as simple as possible so you choose q to get rid of the u term on the RHS then you can divide by qx and get a standard-looking DE that you should have seen before :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by davros
Well done! Remember that you're trying to make the DE as simple as possible so you choose q to get rid of the u term on the RHS then you can divide by qx and get a standard-looking DE that you should have seen before :smile:

forgive me for buzzing in but I think q=-2

(I could be wrong ....)
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
forgive me for buzzing in but I think q=-2

(I could be wrong ....)

I haven't worked through the question myself but if the OP's earlier post was correct, you basically need to divide u3qu^{3q} by uq1u^{q-1} which would mean you want make 2q + 1 = 0 giving q = -1/2.

Do you disagree with the OP's earlier algebra where she posted the transformed equation in u and x?
Reply 11
Original post by davros
I haven't worked through the question myself but if the OP's earlier post was correct, you basically need to divide u3qu^{3q} by uq1u^{q-1} which would mean you want make 2q + 1 = 0 giving q = -1/2.

Do you disagree with the OP's earlier algebra where she posted the transformed equation in u and x?

As I said I could be wrong (very tired at the moment) but this type of ODE is known in the trade as a Bernoulli equation.

This is an ODE of the form

y'+yf(x) = yng(x)

If I am not mistaken the standard transformation is u=1/yn-1.

I could be wrong

EDIT: IGNORE MY COMMENT/ SEE POST 16
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
As I said I could be wrong (very tired at the moment) but this type of ODE is known in the trade as a Bernoulli equation.

This is an ODE of the form

y'+yf(x) = yng(x)

If I am not mistaken the standard transformation is y=1/un-1.

I could be wrong

The standard transformation is actually:
u=y1nu=y^{1-n} so y=uny=u^n like the textbook suggested.
so you were pretty close.
Reply 13
Original post by joostan
The standard transformation is actually:
u=y1nu=y^{1-n} so y=uny=u^n like the textbook suggested.
so you were pretty close.

that is what I meant (long day)

in this case y3 so y=1/u2=u-2

so I cannot see how -1/2 could be right.
Original post by TeeEm
that is what I meant (long day)

in this case y3 so y=1/u2=u-2

so I cannot see how -1/2 could be right.

Spoiler

EDIT: The initial comment is slightly unnecessary, I was gonna type out more, but didn't fancy all that Tex.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by joostan

Spoiler

EDIT: The initial comment is slightly unnecessary, I was gonna type out more, but didn't fancy all that Tex.

I think you are correct (as far as the question asked it)and I am not.

the substitution is u = y-2 and the question was asking it as y=f(u) which the same substitution as y=u-1/2 on rearrangement.

I just did not read the question carefully as it was sideways, I saw Bernoulli and I was quoting what you saw.

Apologies.:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
I think you are correct (as far as the question asked it)and I am not.

the substitution is u = y-2 and the question was asking it as y=f(u) which the same substitution as y=u-1/2 on rearrangement.

I just did not read the question carefully as it was sideways, I saw Bernoulli and I was quoting what you so.

Apologies.:smile:

Yeah, easily done - rotating head gives neck pain, which is not what anyone wants :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by joostan
Yeah, easily done - rotating head gives neck pain, which is not what anyone wants :smile:

Sorry about the question layout, couldn't turn it on my phone :ashamed2:

Quick Reply

Latest