The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UK- An White and Black Country?

Scroll to see replies

lol@ Arts and Crafts.

Maybe something like sports or acting....but Arts and Crafts?
Were judged and stereotyped cuz we're Muslim? Indians are brown so 'look' Muslim. But once they mention their name and you know theyre hindu and Sikh its okay for them. As muslims we have to prove ourselves more cuz were not medias best mate atm.
Original post by Yawn!

Still, I get your point in general. Personally, I think British Indians (Asians) should be exempt from the license fee, since OUR money goes towards funding things like Downton Abbey and Doctor Who too, which represents White/Black Brits well, pander to Americans who pay nothing in, but the best British Indians (Asians) will get is a small 5-min cameo from Sanjeev Bhaskar.

Well...if you don't watch TV....then you don't have to pay the TV licence. I am not really sure why there needs to be an ethnic opt out.

Just to point out, British Asians are under-represented because they choose not go into acting and etc. They generally choose other fields that are socially acceptable. It has nothing to do with pandering to Americans.

Tbh, the entire paragraph is bit bizarre.
Original post by DorianGrayism
lol@ Arts and Crafts.

Maybe something like sports or acting....but Arts and Crafts?

There was a documentary on iplayer a couple of years ago about why there were so less asians in football And it was admitted that people were specifically told not to recruit asians. They werent allowed on the teams or something cuz they were purposly never ever chosen. Which is blatant racism and in the 21st century is ridiculous
Original post by Yawn!
Still, I get your point in general. Personally, I think British Indians (Asians) should be exempt from the license fee, since OUR money goes towards funding things like Downton Abbey and Doctor Who too, which represents White/Black Brits well, pander to Americans who pay nothing in, but the best British Indians (Asians) will get is a small 5-min cameo from Sanjeev Bhaskar.

The license fee doesn't just fund Doctor Who. What about the BBC Asian Network? & Downton Abbey is on itv so nothing to do with the license fee.
Original post by Ribbit1234
There was a documentary on iplayer a couple of years ago about why there were so less asians in football And it was admitted that people were specifically told not to recruit asians. They werent allowed on the teams or something cuz they were purposly never ever chosen. Which is blatant racism and in the 21st century is ridiculous

Well, Asians are seen as smaller and weaker. Therefore, **** The perception is **** they cannot compete at the highest levels of the game.

Just to point out, this is really the problem at the heart of the English game. Speed and strength are promoted over technical skill and etc.

I should also add, the other issue is that the older generation associate football with hooliganism and etc. Therefore, playing football is generally not encouraged, unlike Cricket.

Football ( and even acting) are really things that you need to be doing from a young age to be good at. So I am not surprised that there are not many Asians in either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Well...if you don't watch TV....then you don't have to pay the TV licence. I am not really sure why there needs to be an ethnic opt out.

Just to point out, British Asians are under-represented because they choose not go into acting and etc. They generally choose other fields that are socially acceptable. It has nothing to do with pandering to Americans.

Tbh, the entire paragraph is bit bizarre.

How would you know Asians don't go into acting? I have quite a few friends who tried their luck and got next to nothing.

If we pay the license fee, we should get our money's worth. Just like Whites and Blacks do. We're literally paying customers. But like I said, we're not THAT bothered.

And the paragraph wasn't aimed at you. I don't expect it to make sense to someone like you.
Reply 27
Original post by TroyAndAbed
The license fee doesn't just fund Doctor Who. What about the BBC Asian Network? & Downton Abbey is on itv so nothing to do with the license fee.

Ah, true about Downton. I've never watched it, so I just assumed it was one of the many period dramas the BBC does. Fair point.

Give me a figure for how much BBC Asian Network costs. Then a figure of the license fee collections for all British Asians. Something tells me that for the money we're paying, BBC Asian Network is not enough.

Other people pay the license fee, would they be happy paying £145 just for Radio 1?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, Asians are seen as smaller and weaker. Therefore, they cannot compete at the highest levels of the game.

Just to point out, this is really the problem at the heart of the English game. Speed and strength are promoted over technical skill and etc.

I should also add, the other issue is that the older generation associate football with hooliganism and etc. Therefore, playing football is generally not encouraged, unlike Cricket.

Football ( and even acting) are really things that you need to be doing from a young age to be good at. So I am not surprised that there are not many Asians in either.

Im not surprised asians arent getting inwith the narrow minded stereotypical people like u out there. Like wthh, most arabs especially iraqis are known for being hench. They are MUCHH bigger than your average white boy so stfu and sit back down with asians are weak. You get weak and strong in every race. And since youre stereotyping here its generally your average 'white guys who cant jump' and is 'pussy' . So much for you technical and strength skills.

Theres a second and third generation of asians now and most of them are into football and dont think of it as hooligan thing to do at all. Its a favourite sport and hobby for most:s
Reply 29
Well, Asians are seen as smaller and weaker. Therefore, they cannot compete at the highest levels of the game.

Just because white/black people see them as weaker and smaller, they are? :confused:. I understand overall trends and I accept Asians are NORMALLY shorter, but it doesn't discount the many who are tall, strong and athletic.

Football scouts are well known for racism against Asians. As they say 'paki kids are weak'.

Just because I think you have cancer, doesn't mean you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yawn!
How would you know Asians don't go into acting? I have quite a few friends who tried their luck and got next to nothing.

Well, because there are no Asian people in the media.

The reality is that Eastenders and Emmerdale pick Non-Asians to pretend to be South Asians/Pakistanis and etc because they do not have enough to pick from.

I know lots of Asians. None of them even bothered to think about acting.

Original post by Yawn!
If we pay the license fee, we should get our money's worth. Just like Whites and Blacks do. We're literally paying customers. But like I said, we're not THAT bothered.

Then like I said before.......you don't need to watch....and then you don't need to pay.

Original post by Yawn!
IAnd the paragraph wasn't aimed at you. I don't expect it to make sense to someone like you.

It made sense. It was just stupid.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ggmu!
Just because white/black people see them as weaker and smaller, they are? :confused:. I understand overall trends and I accept Asians are NORMALLY shorter, but it doesn't discount the many who are tall, strong and athletic.

Football scouts are well known for racism against Asians. As they say 'paki kids are weak'.

Just because I think you have cancer, doesn't mean you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry. I meant that is the perception. I wasn't actually stating that is the case.
Original post by Ribbit1234
Im not surprised asians arent getting inwith the narrow minded stereotypical people like u out there. Like wthh, most arabs especially iraqis are known for being hench. They are MUCHH bigger than your average white boy so stfu and sit back down with asians are weak. You get weak and strong in every race. And since youre stereotyping here its generally your average 'white guys who cant jump' and is 'pussy' . So much for you technical and strength skills.

Theres a second and third generation of asians now and most of them are into football and dont think of it as hooligan thing to do at all. Its a favourite sport and hobby for most:s

Ok. I didn't actually say that they were weaker or stronger. I said that was the perception.
Reply 33
Well, because there are no Asian people in the media.

The reality is that Eastenders and Emmerdale pick Non-Asians to pretend to be South Asians/Pakistanis and etc because they do not have enough to pick from.

I know lots of Asians. None of them even bothered to think about acting.

Then like I said before.......you don't need to watch....and then you don't need to pay.

It made sense. It was just stupid.

The paragraph made sense but it was just incredibly stupid.

You don't know the community as well as me. Don't even try and speak as an authority on this issue.

We have no choice but to pay the license fee, because we watch other channels like Indian channels. It's the law that if you watch ANY channels you have to pay. But our license fee money doesn't fund the Indian channels we watch. It goes into funding the BBC, thus we have literally PAID for our representation there, and we are not getting it. What part of this simple fact do you not understand?

The paragraph might seem stupid to someone like you, because you haven't got a clue about the issue you're talking about and don't understand what's being discussed.

That or you're just trolling.
Reply 34
There's no real need for representations of Asians in media to be honest. If a person is good at acting or whatever the job entails, they should get it regardless of their race. If a certain race is needed to play a role then yes fair enough.
Reply 35
Original post by Yawn!
We have no choice but to pay the license fee, because we watch other channels like Indian channels. It's the law that if you watch ANY channels you have to pay. But our license fee money doesn't fund the Indian channels we watch. It goes into funding the BBC, thus we have literally PAID for our representation there, and we are not getting it. What part of this simple fact do you not understand?

I think it's pretty odd that you don't want to watch channels such as the BBC as it doesn't have enough Asians for you. The BBC provides more services other than drama you know. You could just watch the Indian programmes online
Original post by Yawn!
You don't know the community as well as me. Don't even try and speak as an authority on this issue.

Why would you think that? Why would you even think you even have the authority to speak for all the different South Asian communities?

Original post by Yawn!

You do have a choice then. You can either watch Television on a Set that can receive the BBC or you can choose not to watch Television.

You haven't paid for representation. You have paid for television.

You do not understand that you have a choice, not to watch television.

Original post by Yawn!
The paragraph might seem stupid to someone like you, because you haven't got a clue about the issue you're talking about and don't understand what's being discussed.

That or you're just trolling.

Well, you keep on saying I don't have a clue. Yet, I am not the one, claiming to represent millions of people.
Original post by Ahmed21
After being born and raised in London I started to realise as an young South Asian male that there is no room for us in this society.

South Asian people get negatively represented and we are never to be seen in the arts and craft industry?

More and more Black people have greater opportunities succeeding in the mainstreams of society...

What are you're thoughts?

Since you're British then why are you mentioning this sub group called 'Asian'? Seperate identity now.
Original post by Yawn!
Ah, true about Downton. I've never watched it, so I just assumed it was one of the many period dramas the BBC does. Fair point.

Give me a figure for how much BBC Asian Network costs. Then a figure of the license fee collections for all British Asians. Something tells me that for the money we're paying, BBC Asian Network is not enough.

Other people pay the license fee, would they be happy paying £145 just for Radio 1?

British Asians can listen to Radio 1, 2, whatever as well though. Just like other races can listen to Asian Network. Radio 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 aren't aimed at me but I'm free to listen to them. CBBC & Cbeebies aren't aimed at me but I'm free to watch them. Breaking the license fee up so you only have to pay for what is made for your demographic would cause big problems for the BBC as it would mean British Asians were only legally allowed to listen to Asian Network, young people only allowed to listen to Radio 1/1Xtra, etc. Plus the BBC would most likely be accused of racism/ageism as they're making assumptions about what sort of things people like. I knew British Asians at my college who watched Doctor Who and under your proposed system, they wouldn't be allowed to watch Doctor Who just because they're Asian. & then there would also be problems with there being nobody to fund CBBC & Cbeebies as kids and babies don't pay the license fee. It would just be a logistical nightmare.
Reply 39
Why would you think that? Why would you even think you even have the authority to speak for all the different South Asian communities?

You do have a choice then. You can either watch Television on a Set that can receive the BBC or you can choose not to watch Television.

You haven't paid for representation. You have paid for television.

You do not understand that you have a choice, not to watch television.

Well, you keep on saying I don't have a clue. Yet, I am not the one, claiming to represent millions of people.

I didn't say I speak for the whole South Asian community. And in most posts I specifically mention 'Indian', I don't try to speak for 'Asians' it's just a term others use. I also meant you don't know my community or the Indian community in general as well as I do, so don't talk down to me and speak like an authority on this issue, because you are not. I find your attempt laughable. Typical attitude of a......

Are you being deliberately stupid? We have the right to watch television the same as everyone else! Why should we do without? We pay the license fee for the right to watch television, just like White and Black people do. THAT'S not the issue.

The issue is that money funds the BBC and you'd have to be a complete fool not to see that the BBC does not provide representation equal to the money being paid in by Indians/Asians. I could provide example after example of how other communities are receiving fair representation and we're not. But I can't be bothered to waste that much effort on you.

Truth is, if you look at my original post, I also stated that most of us don't care. Many of us are happy being represented racially and culturally in things like Bollywood or Indian TV channels/Music. We're really not that bothered about UK TV. Most of my friends think Doctor Who and Downton Abbey are piles of crap, it's not like we're desperate to be there.

The only issue is if we're forced by law to pay to watch TV, that's fine. But when our money goes to funding channels and shows that gives us next to nothing in return, we have the right to criticize. Simple.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending