Questions on renting out a house

Watch
AstroNandos
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
These questions are referring to renting out a 2/3 bedroom house in the UK

1) If I don't plan on using central heating at all, will the gas bill be cheap?
2) Any ideas on the cost of electricity for someone who goes on PC a lot?
3) Around how much would food cost if you went by a schedule on what you eat and when?
4) Around how much is home insurance, and any other insurances?
5) How much does water usually cost for 3 people?

I'm trying to see the exact cost of living with friends for when I can (hopefully) eventually afford it thanks in advance
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't have gas, but unless you're not planning on any heating at all then central heating would be cheaper. You can adjust radiators so some are off or lower. Any electric alternative will be a lot more expensive.
You will have a standing charge, which is the cost of supplying the property even if you use no gas. For electricity, my standing charge is around 30p per day - you can get tariffs with lower standing charges but then the price per unit is higher.

People on tsr seem to pay around £40 per month for electricity. It will vary depending on how much you use - a laptop won't use much, but lighting and heating would be more.

Insurance varies so much on location and how much stuff you have to insure. Do a test run comparing meerkats because nobody can tell you a helpful value.

Food costs depend what you eat and how much you can cook. You can cope with around £15 a week if you have to. Markets and cheap shops like pound shops or B and M and Aldi will help to keep costs down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. depends if you have an electric cooker
2. Our house electric cost is about £25 a month for 2 people with a lot of PC use
3. £30 per person per week is a good estimate
4. £100 a year for home contents insurance
5. £25 a month
illegaltobepoor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1) If I don't plan on using central heating at all, will the gas bill be cheap?

The Gas bill will be cheap if: a tariff is selected with no standing charge.

Majority of student houses use prepay meters. You can get the tariff changed but this would require consent with other members of the house and the landlord.

Go to money saving expert to find the cheapest tariff.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity

2) Any ideas on the cost of electricity for someone who goes on PC a lot?

If you use a desktop with a big graphics card in you can expect to use £40 a month.
If you use a laptop then you can expect to use £20 a month.

3) Around how much would food cost if you went by a schedule on what you eat and when?

Food is a whole topic in its self.

I personally recommend that you go Vegetarian & consume about 10% meat & 90% fruits and vegetables.
You will get more filling meals at far cheaper prices.

Meat tends to be expensive. If you do want to eat meat buy it bulk and put it in a chest freezer. You can get chicken at £20 for 10kg at some wholesalers.

4) Around how much is home insurance, and any other insurances?

Contents insurance can be as cheap as £5. Go to: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

5) How much does water usually cost for 3 people?

Costs me £10 a month and I use a lot.
If any of your friends have a disability you may be able to get watersure which fixes your payments at £35 a month.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (121)
14.4%
I'm not sure (36)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (255)
30.36%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (407)
48.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise