Cartilage Piercing HELP needed extreme pain etc.

Watch
Neonfun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I just got my cartilage piercing at Claire's today, and it hurts like [fill with appropriate obscenity] :mad:
I was wondering if I took it out would it hurt less? Or there are suggestions to change from the ear solution to something else due to the solution actually drying out your ear or go to a professional piercing studio, and asking them to exchange the piercing as studs with butterfly backs aren't apparently appropriate for cartilage piercings?
Any tips to how to ease the pain would be appreciated. :borat:
SUPER CONFUSED :confused:
Musie Suzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh boy, you should not have got your cartilage pierced at Claire's. The pain is probably due to the piercing site having swollen up to a size the jewellery you have in it cannot comfortably accommodate, so it's being squeezed as it swells. A professional piercer would have done it with a needle rather than a gun and given you a barbell to wear, which would have been a bit too long and thus allowed room for swelling.

Honestly, looking after this piercing is going to be more hassle than it's worth. The gun will have caused more trauma to the area than a needle would have and I'd be surprised if you didn't experience complications in the healing process as a result.

I think it's best to remove the jewellery and let it heal over before going to a professional to get it done properly. Even if you went to a professional now for a barbell your piercing most likely won't be the right size to take an appropriate one, as barbells come in specific gauges, while you have a thin bar in it meant for lobe piercings and thus a tiny hole.

Hope this has been helpful - let me know if you have any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Neonfun
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Musie Suzie)
Oh boy, you should not have got your cartilage pierced at Claire's. The pain is probably due to the piercing site having swollen up to a size the jewellery you have in it cannot comfortably accommodate, so it's being squeezed as it swells. A professional piercer would have done it with a needle rather than a gun and given you a barbell to wear, which would have been a bit too long and thus allowed room for swelling.

Honestly, looking after this piercing is going to be more hassle than it's worth. The gun will have caused more trauma to the area than a needle would have and I'd be surprised if you didn't experience complications in the healing process as a result.

I think it's best to remove the jewellery and let it heal over before going to a professional to get it done properly. Even if you went to a professional now for a barbell your piercing most likely won't be the right size to take an appropriate one, as barbells come in specific gauges, while you have a thin bar in it meant for lobe piercings and thus a tiny hole.

Hope this has been helpful - let me know if you have any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, the pain and slight swelling has gone down, and it doesn't hurt much.
But I got home did some research and found out I picked one of the worst places to go to, so your advice is useful for future reference and will be helpful in my next cartilage piercing-do you know if piercing with a needle means it hurts for longer afterwards?
Musie Suzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Neonfun)
Thanks for the advice, the pain and slight swelling has gone down, and it doesn't hurt much.
But I got home did some research and found out I picked one of the worst places to go to, so your advice is useful for future reference and will be helpful in my next cartilage piercing-do you know if piercing with a needle means it hurts for longer afterwards?
It hurts for less time, because - as said above - it causes less trauma to the area than piercing with a gun. Glad to hear it's improved a bit - hope it continues to do so and you don't have further problems!
glueless12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It does hurt a lot. I need mine by myself.... i know im insane.
use surgical spirit 3 times a day with a cotton bud. It will sting but you have to cope.
also dont touch the piercing. it will only make it worse and try to avoid putting tension on that area. maybe sleeping a different way or something.
username1284913
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if you're not interested in buying surgical spirit - which, will do the job, but hurts a bunch, buy sea rock salt - i'm pretty sure you can pick it up at Tesco for ~£2ish.

boil the kettle, put water in a clean glass, add a pinch of salt and find a cotton bud. dip the cotton bud in, rub it on both sides of the piercing. do this twice a day for several months.

do not spin the piercing as they advise
. it can cause microcuts in your ear that cause severe infection!!!!!

also remember, if you choose to take it out, it can infect straight back up and you'll have to have fluid pierced away by a doctor and then go on a course of antibiotics (which happened to me, pfft).

if you ever get another piercing, remember to get it done with a needle! i had my nose pierced recently and it didn't flare up at all c:

good luck with your piercing, and i hope you enjoy it!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads