Turn on thread page Beta

What do u reckons gonna come up in Physics Synoptic? watch

ReputationRep:
    What do u reckons gonna come up in Physics Synoptic?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t8353/1.html

Can't be bothered to type it out again!

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel please!

ReputationRep:
    Lifted from the Edexcel Specification

Unit 6: Synthesis

An understanding of the principles in this unit and in the general requirements is expected in familiar and unfamiliar situations. In examination questions where the context is beyond the content of the specification it will be fully described. The content of this unit draws together different areas of physics. The assessment will be synoptic, requiring students to show understanding and application of the principles involved rather than recall.
    The first section of this unit compares springs and capacitors; electric and gravitational fields; capacitor discharge and radioactive decay. The second part, Accelerators, is intended to show how an area of modern physics unites different areas of physics, such as electric fields, circular motion and momentum. It should be regarded as illustrating applications of these areas. Both of these sections will be assessed synoptically, requiring candidates to show understanding and application of the principles involved rather than recall.

Analogies in Physics

6.1 Comparison of Springs and Capacitors

F = kx and V = Q/C as mathematical models for springs and capacitors. Energy stored.

6.2 Comparison of Electric and Gravitational Fields

Inverse square law for radial fields.
    E = kQ/r^2 and g = Gm/r^2
    (Concept of inverse potential notrequired.)
    Similarities and differences between the fields.

6.3 Comparison of Capacitor Discharge and Radioactive Decay

Exponential decay: form of discharge graph.
    Q = Qo x e^(-t/RC) and N = No e^- ët
    Current, I = Q/RC and activity A = ëN
    Time Constant

Accelerators

6.4 Conservation of Mass-Energy

∆E = c^2 ∆m applies in all situations.
    Simple calculations relating mass difference to energy change.
    Unified atomic mass unit, u.
    Fission and fusion.

6.5 Principles of Linear accelerators.

(Drawing together ideas from unit 1, Dynamics, Mechanical
    energy, Radioactive decay and the nuclear atom; unit 4, The expanding Universe; unit 5, Electric fields.)

Production of MeV particles using a Van de Graaff generator.
    Principle of a linac to reach GeV.
    Understanding that particles never reach the speed of light. (Knowledge of m = ãmo is not required.)
    Fixed target experiments

6.6 Principles of Ring accelerators
    energy, Radioactive decay and the nuclear atom; unit 4, The expanding Universe; unit 5, Electric fields.)

Force on charged particle moving perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field, F = BQ õ
    Principle of the cyclotron: derivation of supply frequency for non-relativistic particles.
    Colliding beam experiments.

6.7 Principles of Detecting particles
    energy, Radioactive decay and the nuclear atom; unit 2, Kinetic
    model of matter; unit 4, Circular motion and oscillations; unit 5,
    Electric fields, Magnetic fields.)

Principles of cloud/bubble chambers and spark/drift chambers.
    Interpretation of photographs showing particle tracks: charge and momentum.

hard stuff

ReputationRep:
    I think they will ask about Background radiation, what it is and what it means etc.
    They will give calculations on refraction e.g. critical angle and Snell's Law.

ReputationRep:
    Snell's Law, are you sure thats in Edexcel? I dont remember it at all. you could be right...

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Jac
    Snell's Law, are you sure thats in Edexcel? I dont remember it at all. you could be right...
    Sorry, I'm talking about OCR.

ReputationRep:
    phew

Does anybody do the Salters' Syllabus? It's an Edexcel qualification, but with different contents, no one else seems to be talking about it.....our synoptic exam is tomorrow as well

ReputationRep:
    i do the salters one. its confusing how tahts also edexcel isnt it? question 1 will be comprehension with most of the answers drawn from the text. question 2 will be graphs like logs and stuff. question 3 is normally a random area of physics with question 4 being a long question where you have to use equations to work out something random. that sound about right? out of curiousity how did ur teachers go about teaching you this module?

Hmm "teaching" us the module. Well it sort of went - day of receiving exam entry sheets "Mr.Physics Teacher, what is this extra exam, its a mistake isn't it?" - "I'll get back to you on that one lads" - Next lesson "Well?", "It's a synoptic paper, you have to know everything. I'll order you some AS text books".

So we only found out about it a few weeks ago, not much teaching of the synoptic has gone on

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    Hmm "teaching" us the module. Well it sort of went - day of receiving exam entry sheets "Mr.Physics Teacher, what is this extra exam, its a mistake isn't it?" - "I'll get back to you on that one lads" - Next lesson "Well?", "It's a synoptic paper, you have to know everything. I'll order you some AS text books".

So we only found out about it a few weeks ago, not much teaching of the synoptic has gone on
    lol, sounds like my Physics teacher.

All physics teachers must be the same. Thats how mine is a well. DOESN'T GIVE A ****!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i think the synoptic covers all the stuff from units one to four.

ReputationRep:
    check the aqa website for the sylabus

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.