The Student Room Group

The Random Acts of Kindness Challenge!!!

Forget the Ice Bucket Challenge...
Welcome to the Random Acts of Kindness Challenge!!!!!!!!!!!

:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

Thursday 13th November marks annual Kindness day but we thought we could do better than just one day! This week is Random Act of Kindness Week which means you can share your kindness even longer!

To take part in our challenge all you need to do is post a random act of kindness that you have done recently OR seek out an opportunity to do an act of kindness and then post about it here and then quote in 3 other users so they are nominated to take part in the Kindness Challenge!!!!!!!!!

You don't have to be nominated to take part though... every kindness counts!
:grouphugs::grouphugs::grouphugs:

To kick off: my random act of kindness was letting a mum with kids who was late for her train take my place in the queue for train tickets so she didn't miss it.

I nominate...

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen Cersei
x

Awesome idea!
Trying to think what I've done haha. Erm, was on the bus and someone dropped their coffee everywhere... luckily I had just bought a load of kitchen roll for our flat, so gave him a roll of that and helped him clean it up. Hope that's good enough :colondollar:

I nominate...

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Queen Cersei
x

Thank you :jumphug:

Yesterday I was at Oxford St tube and I saw a very senior veteran between the bakerloo and victoria line platforms looking very confused. He'd also obviously travelled in to London for the remembrance services. I wandered over to him to see if he needed any help and he was trying to find the entrance to the Central line, so I directed him to the platform and was very grateful. Made me feel very humbled and actually a little bit emotional. :heart:

I actually just helped someone else.... heard someone behind me in the street ask for directions to International House, I stopped and turned around and told them I knew where it was - it's where TSR are based. And said I'd walk them to the office - turned out they were coming to visit us :smile:

As I have two, can I be cheeky Queenie nominate 6!?:

First act of kindness nominees

Spoiler

Second act of kindness nominees

Spoiler

:woo::woo::woo:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Not really feeling up to nominating people,

But yesterday on my way home on the train, I was sitting in a 4 seat bay in the middle of the train (Merseyrail trains), a group of 4 people came on, a husband and wife, and most likely daughter and boyfriend. The parents sat in the two seats around me but the young couple who obviously wanted to stay nearby and stick together sat on seats on opposite aisles. I had a feeling they would have wanted to all sit together so I moved to another seat for them.

It was only small but they were very thankful :smile:
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Not really feeling up to nominating people,

But yesterday on my way home on the train, I was sitting in a 4 seat bay in the middle of the train (Merseyrail trains), a group of 4 people came on, a husband and wife, and most likely daughter and boyfriend. The parents sat in the two seats around me but the young couple who obviously wanted to stay nearby and stick together sat on seats on opposite aisles. I had a feeling they would have wanted to all sit together so I moved to another seat for them.

It was only small but they were very thankful :smile:

That was nice of you :smile:
Original post by She-Ra
Thank you :jumphug:

Yesterday I was at Oxford St tube and I saw a very senior veteran between the bakerloo and victoria line platforms looking very confused. He'd also obviously travelled in to London for the remembrance services. I wandered over to him to see if he needed any help and he was trying to find the entrance to the Central line, so I directed him to the platform and was very grateful. Made me feel very humbled and actually a little bit emotional. :heart:

I actually just helped someone else.... heard someone behind me in the street ask for directions to International House, I stopped and turned around and told them I knew where it was - it's where TSR are based. And said I'd walk them to the office - turned out they were coming to visit us :smile:

As I have two, can I be cheeky Queenie nominate 6!?:

First act of kindness nominees

Spoiler

Second act of kindness nominees

Spoiler

:woo::woo::woo:

Nominate as many as you like!
Reply 6
That was nice of you :smile:

I try my best to make people comfortable regardless whether I know them or not :smile:
Reply 7
being kind was never interesting

thats why this thread has so few posts

and war so many
Original post by coalridge
being kind was never interesting

thats why this thread has so few posts

and war so many

Maybe if people were more interested in being kind there might be less war?
Reply 9
Maybe if people were more interested in being kind there might be less war?

yes

but being kind isnt interesting thats the problem, not to most people anyway, who goes on the news to find out about how people have been helping others?
yes

but being kind isnt interesting thats the problem, not to most people anyway, who goes on the news to find out about how people have been helping others?

But that is the point of this thread, to change that! People moan all the time but never mention when they have done something nice which is absurd!
Reply 11
I'm not trying to big myself up here but i'm the kind of person who will go out of his way to be kind and help those in need so I do these "acts of kindness" quite often . Of the most memorable events :

Earlier this month I was making my way home through Clapham Junction , it was rush hour and everyone was rushing through the platform to make their evening train , myself being one of them . I was running through the tunnel to catch my train when I heard this lady shouting "excuse me , excuse me " and I turned to see a blind couple both with dogs trying to make their way through the masses , everyone was passing them without a glance .

So I went up to them , told them I could help them , guided themhand in hand through the station right up to a seat on their platform and asked the guard to ensure they got on the right train .

Suprisingly they told me they were waiting a while for someone to help them but I would have hoped most would help in the situation
I gave 2p to a begger, while giving journalists the happiest face I could muster.

I then stepped down.
Original post by Atreus
I'm not trying to big myself up here but i'm the kind of person who will go out of his way to be kind and help those in need so I do these "acts of kindness" quite often . Of the most memorable events :

Earlier this month I was making my way home through Clapham Junction , it was rush hour and everyone was rushing through the platform to make their evening train , myself being one of them . I was running through the tunnel to catch my train when I heard this lady shouting "excuse me , excuse me " and I turned to see a blind couple both with dogs trying to make their way through the masses , everyone was passing them without a glance .

So I went up to them , told them I could help them , guided themhand in hand through the station right up to a seat on their platform and asked the guard to ensure they got on the right train .

Suprisingly they told me they were waiting a while for someone to help them but I would have hoped most would help in the situation

I think you have every right to big yourself up here, this is so touching! And also incredibly worrying that no-one had stopped before to help them :s-smilie:
yes

Random acts of altruism are a great way to gain deep happiness, by comparison to the soul-destroying pursuit of personal material wealth. Maybe if young people were educated about this tenet of true happiness from a young age, we might have fewer *******s in the world.
Thanks She-Ra for the nomination :tongue:

I have two moments. It was exam period during second year and my friend and I were getting food from Tesco (fleet street on a Sunday means reduced everything)

There was a homeless guy outside and long story short, I gave the idea to my friend to buy ALL of the sandwiches from Tesco and give him enough food for a few days and his friends. Whilst we kept some of the sandwiches, you could tell that he was seriously grateful.

Helping everyone out there I guess :smile: Now for my nomination:

usycool1
x

potally_tissed
x

greeneyedgirl
x
x

aww! :hugs: thank you for nominating! :biggrin: :hugs:

hmm, a random act of kindness...

there was a lost little year 7 and I showed her where she needed to go! its been over half a term already but she was soo small and looked worried so i felt id show her around! :biggrin: soo cute!

not that big but it felt good to see her calm down! :smile:

hmm, i nominate:

Spoiler

Original post by cupcakes87
aww! :hugs: thank you for nominating! :biggrin: :hugs:

hmm, a random act of kindness...

there was a lost little year 7 and I showed her where she needed to go! its been over half a term already but she was soo small and looked worried so i felt id show her around! :biggrin: soo cute!

not that big but it felt good to see her calm down! :smile:

hmm, i nominate:

Spoiler

Ahhh this is so sweet :smile:
Being kind to people is a sign of weakness.
Original post by Welsh Bluebird
Being kind to people is a sign of weakness.

well then im happy to be weak :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest