The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on asexuals/ asexuality?

I'm just interested to see what people think and if they even know about it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by plaguepitlasagna

It doesn't make a difference to me. It's just like being straight, gay, polysexual, lesbian, pansexual, or queer, or any other orientation. Another wonderful aspect of the diversity of life :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by plaguepitlasagna

I'm asexual... I think we're great. :thumbsup:
Original post by Mazzini
It doesn't make a difference to me. It's just like being straight, gay, polysexual, lesbian, pansexual, or queer, or any other orientation. Another wonderful aspect of the diversity of life :smile:

As an asexual, reading this made me smile! I never tell anyone about how I feel because they either think I've been abused, am religious, in denial about being gay or in a 'phase'. Even my closest friend says the way I am is abnormal and unnatural which is incredibly hurtful.
Reply 4
Original post by EleanorFrost
As an asexual, reading this made me smile! I never tell anyone about how I feel because they either think I've been abused, am religious, in denial about being gay or in a 'phase'. Even my closest friend says the way I am is abnormal and unnatural which is incredibly hurtful.

I try! :h:

I'm sorry you've encountered those views. If only people would take other people seriously like this :erm:
If someone is asexual, then I've no problem with it. Their sexuality is theirs alone and I'm in no position to pass judgement on that. I've no problem with it whatsoever in the same way I have no problem with those who are gay, lesbian, bi etc
Original post by jacksd
I don't really think anything of it, in the sense that I couldn't care less if someone was gay, bi, lesbian, pansexual and so on... It makes to difference to me.

With asexuality, is it just that neither sex turns you on, or does sex with both sexes kind of like disgust you?

The definition of asexual is not experiencing sexual attraction to anyone, regardless of gender. Some asexual people are also sex-repulsed (i.e. disgusted by sex), but others aren't, and some even enjoy sex.
I just feel kinda sorry for them. What a shame to miss out on something so wonderful.
Original post by cole-slaw
I just feel kinda sorry for them. What a shame to miss out on something so wonderful.

It's not necessarily wonderful in their eyes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know asexuality is contradicted by evolutinary theory for sexually reproducing beings, right? So you're really just an "asexual" in name.
Reply 10
I would be sceptical if someone said they're asexual, I'm not really sure I believe it's real

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uh they're like people? With no sexual desire? I don't really see what's to talk about :P
It is what it is; that's how someone feels. I don't really think the label is necessary.

Homosexual, Bi-sexual, Heterosexual, Asexual, Pansexual, Transgender, and all the rest of it... YOU'RE THE SAME PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT TASTES, end of story really.
Original post by Wade-
I would be sceptical if someone said they're asexual, I'm not really sure I believe it's real

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not? I'm not the kind of person to get worked up about sexuality, but I have never had a crush or found anyone attractive in my life, so I think I am asexual . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it's like everything in life.

Sometimes people don't enjoy the same things.

I can say, yeah asexuals are missing out, just like people say I'm missing out on drinking, or certain foods, or skiing or whatever else some others enjoy.

Don't really have an 'opinion' on them, it certainly wouldn't be the basis of an opinion anyway.
The vast majority I am sure are just attention seekers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am just glad that I am not one.
Original post by Jebedee
The vast majority I am sure are just attention seekers.

What's your basis for that?
They've probably either been abused in some form (sexually), have a medical condition or some kind (hormonal), or have some odd mental issues (psychosomatic)
Personally it irritates me when people try and suggest possible "reasons" for non-heterosexuality. Maybe it is because of medical, psychological or biological differences, it doesn't make it any less valid. Asexuality could be the result of hormonal issues or psychological issues, "confusion" or even attention issues for all I know, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, isnt real and valid for asexual people or shouldn't be respected.
It makes no odds to me, the only people for whom sexuality is a concern for me are people I would consider potential sexual partners. Otherwise, it doesn't change any aspect of my relationship with that person and so is quite irrelevant.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest