LSBF Asks: Why should entrepreneurs consider going to university?

Watch
London School of Business and Finance (LSBF)
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Aspiring entrepreneurs should consider joining business societies while they are at university, says Canadian entrepreneur Emerson Csorba.

For a lot of students, the beginning of the year comes with plans to join all manner of societies. From choirs to sci-fi clubs, film societies and sports teams, there’s really no limits to the variety of extracurricular activities open to them. But for undergraduate and postgraduates alike with an interest in business, entrepreneurial societies should be at the top of the list.

That’s the view of Emerson Csorba, the Canadian entrepreneur behind multi-generational employee engagement consultancy Gen Y Inc. In an article written for the Telegraph, he says that entrepreneurship societies are a growing and valuable part of university life outside the classroom.

Sir Richard Branson recently said that entrepreneurs should start young and approach business with a “just do it” attitude if they want to succeed. The younger, the better, he reasoned. Yet in an interview with LSBF last year, he also said that he actually considered going to university when he reached 40 and already had lots of experience.

What are your thoughts on the subject? Should entrepreneurs give up university to work on their own businesses?
LaughingKitsune
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
University teaches a lot about business management and finances that just doing it without qualifications won't. For example, I'm having to learn about understanding and calculating financial statements, which is very useful (and necessary) for running a business.

I'm aspiring to run my own business when I leave university, and I plan to do so with a Business degree under my belt, and the possibility of going onto a Masters in the future.

The best idea is to try to set up a business while at university - maybe a carpooling system for commuters? Or something to benefit the university or the community.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (18)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (33)
10.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (36)
11.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (45)
14.56%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.5%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.53%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (30)
9.71%
Financial worries (21)
6.8%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (13)
4.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
6.15%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.94%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
11%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (23)
7.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed