The Student Room Group

Cambridge Special Access Form & Application

Hello and Thank you for reading!

I am a year "14" student who suffers from comorbid anxiety and depression which since last September has been effectively treated with pills, I have had undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome which was also diagnosed last September which my College is now aware of. In year 12 I was predicted above average but certainly not Oxbridge standard grades, also just before I started secondary school my father committed suicide, so my GCSE's are nothing spectacular. In year 13 I was able to finally focus on my work and managed to get A*AB in Maths, F.Maths and Physics respectively. My teachers told me that with my new found work ethic I should attempt to apply to Cambridge through their special access scheme (I'm doing Maths). After writing a brilliant application which is "one of the best they have ever seen" and my predicted grades for the end of this current year being A*A*A*A in Maths, F.Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively and sending of my Special Access form with the help of my teachers, last Saturday I receive the killing blow that I have not been invited to interview. While I know Oxbridge does as Oxbridge wants, I want to know is this reasonable on their part? What more do they want from me? P.S. I am also doing the Extended Project Qualification in Maths. Thank you for your time.
Original post by Bufferly

I am a year "14" student who suffers from comorbid anxiety and depression which since last September has been effectively treated with pills, I have had undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome which was also diagnosed last September which my College is now aware of. In year 12 I was predicted above average but certainly not Oxbridge standard grades, also just before I started secondary school my father committed suicide, so my GCSE's are nothing spectacular. In year 13 I was able to finally focus on my work and managed to get A*AB in Maths, F.Maths and Physics respectively. My teachers told me that with my new found work ethic I should attempt to apply to Cambridge through their special access scheme (I'm doing Maths). After writing a brilliant application which is "one of the best they have ever seen" and my predicted grades for the end of this current year being A*A*A*A in Maths, F.Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively and sending of my Special Access form with the help of my teachers, last Saturday I receive the killing blow that I have not been invited to interview. While I know Oxbridge does as Oxbridge wants, I want to know is this reasonable on their part? What more do they want from me? P.S. I am also doing the Extended Project Qualification in Maths. Thank you for your time.

Cambridge look closely at your UMS at AS level. What did you achieve in each of your three subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

I think the biggest problem here is that Cambridge have very little sound academic evidence on which to base an offer!

"Special Access", or what used to be called Extenuating Circumstances, is typically used to explain a temporary or abnormal period of poor academic results - e.g. the student who has a string of A*s at GCSE but then suffers a blip at AS level because of illness; or a student with weak GCSEs owing to family circumstances who then starts to perform outstandingly at AS level and above as their work ethic and situation change.

In your case you have both "average" GCSE results (I'm assuming, since you weren't very explicit) AND poor A level grades. I can therefore see why Cambridge would be reluctant to ask you for interview. Teacher predictions are unfortunately not helpful as they have been shown to be unreliable in the past, and are often overstated.

In your situation I would aim to achieve the minimum grade requirement for Cambridge in your exams next summer i.e. A*A*A (or ideally above, given that you have an extra year to prepare for A levels) and maybe look at sitting something like the AEA or one of the STEP exams. Once you have some actual outstanding results on paper you will have a much sounder basis for a re-application.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Thank you for your wise words. Yesterday I received an email asking me to interview! I guess it goes to show that a little tenacity goes a long way. Wish me luck!
Reply 4
Thank you for your wise words. Yesterday I received an email asking me to interview! I guess it goes to show that a little tenacity goes a long way. Wish me luck!

So they told you you weren't getting an interview, then sent you an email asking you to come for an interview?

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending