Will I get bad grades at the end of my AS year?

Watch
Affection
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I got my mock results back today, and I got a D, the thing is at GCSE I got an A, which really makes me worry. I'm really working hard. However i'm scared that I might get a grade lower than a B :c I really want an A/B at the end of my first year. If I work really hard will I seriously be able to achieve the grade I want? I mean I study 4 hours a week on Maths but I really don't know.
ThePhoenixLament
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really wouldn't worry about it- our A2 Chemistry class got our mocks back today and we were just grateful if we didn't get a U!
If you are still worried then I would focus on past papers and try and do one a week- then make sure you understand why you went wrong. It could just be down to exam technique which you will learn. It gets better as the year goes on- don't worry!
We had people go from a U to a C or B in Maths last year so I would recommend using the mock as a way to highlight your weaknesses in knowledge at the moment and to tell you what to focus on during revision.
Affection
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
I really wouldn't worry about it- our A2 Chemistry class got our mocks back today and we were just grateful if we didn't get a U!
If you are still worried then I would focus on past papers and try and do one a week- then make sure you understand why you went wrong. It could just be down to exam technique which you will learn. It gets better as the year goes on- don't worry!
We had people go from a U to a C or B in Maths last year so I would recommend using the mock as a way to highlight your weaknesses in knowledge at the moment and to tell you what to focus on during revision.
Ah I see, ^_^ I guess I have to work harder. Thank you! c:
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Affection)
I got my mock results back today, and I got a D, the thing is at GCSE I got an A, which really makes me worry. I'm really working hard. However i'm scared that I might get a grade lower than a B :c I really want an A/B at the end of my first year. If I work really hard will I seriously be able to achieve the grade I want? I mean I study 4 hours a week on Maths but I really don't know.
How much of the course were you tested on?

Since it's only November you wouldn't be expected to know a substantial proportion of the AS material yet!
Affection
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
How much of the course were you tested on?

Since it's only November you wouldn't be expected to know a substantial proportion of the AS material yet!
I was only tested on C1 (Maths with stats) I should have done better!
Sophielou721
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In my first AS maths exam I got a D retook it in the summer and got an A, overall finished A2 maths with a C which I was happy with as the exam board was horrid! So don't worry too much just keep working and it will come I would suggest doing past papers as often as you can as they tend to recycle question types (at least MEI do!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
MickoXD
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mocks are nothing, Just concentrate in class, make sure you understand everything, do all or not most of the past papers and you'll achieve that A/B
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dont worry about it. Get the mark scheme, redo the test and mark yourself, see where you went wrong.

Im resitting my AS Math because I got 2xEs (C1, S1) and a D (C1). Im going for at least a C. remember a C at AS is like an A at GCSE.
Affection
Rep:
?
(Original post by heavyhandscott)
Dont worry about it. Get the mark scheme, redo the test and mark yourself, see where you went wrong.

Im resitting my AS Math because I got 2xEs (C1, S1) and a D (C1). Im going for at least a C. remember a C at AS is like an A at GCSE.
Ah thank you c:
Project Tsukyomi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
im doing maths as aswell and honestly the way I see it is that the more practise and hunt for harder questions you do on the web and stuff the better the grade.
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im redoing and improving on everything i did last year. Currently though Im quite stuck on dividing polynomials and the remainder theorem.
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah thank you c:
Dont worry about it! Heres some scary stuff (from my experience) for you to read, but I had such a bad year last year:

C1 - This is actually quite easy. It introduces you to new stuff which is the foundation for further study, but advances from GCSE. Quite easy and took me until a month before exam time for everything to click. Circlles is probably the worst topic, but I had a bad teacher.

C2 - Much harder because of calculator. Logs are very hard for me. Lots of practise for this. Plenty of trig in here too. Lengthy questions but are quite repetative, lots of practise (like all of math) is the way.

S1 - The queen of mind f**ks i would like to call it. Again, poor teacher and the whole class had no clue. again, it clicked by the end of the year. It isnt actually that difficult, you get like 5 marks for putting stuff into a table on calc, press a few buttons, write the numbers down and there you have it.

Generally hard, but gotta take the rough with the smooth. Try and get the best results on C1/S1, they are easiest but obviously C2 is worth more of final grade. Hope this helped
Affection
Rep:
?
Ah I see, I will really need to revise a lot then >__< especially since i'm not good at remembering things.
heavyhandscott
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
C1/C2 isnt a case of remembering things, just techniques and how to answer questions. Dont worry about revising loads. It shouldnt be a bad thing. you have GOT TO keep POSITIVE. this is what ive learned. you life at school is now limited and life itself if too short for stress and bad emotions. Me and a friend were discussing how we have found how useless stress really is.

Keep calm and dont stress

Im in my second year of a levels.
elMaestro_8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if you ask me, getting a bade grade in your mocks isn't bad. Actually, it is good. now you know that you need to work harder, all your week points, and stuff that you need to practice more.

mathematics isn't about how much time you spent time studying. it is all about how much practice you did.

well, I might not be the first one to tell you all of this, but take this advice from some one that finished his AS level, SOLVE AS MUCH QUESTIONS AS YOU CAN SOLVE

GOOD LUCK
Affection
Rep:
?
Thank you! ^__^
username1200599
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For GCSE to AS you usually need to change your idea of what work is. I thought I was working fairly well when I just had a low bar for working well. A lot of people I know thought that hand in homework and turn up to class was working well
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't dwell too much on your mock grade, look at where you're struggling and work from there. There are plenty of resources online which you can use for revision and extra practice. YouTube is a fantastic resource for A-level maths videos.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
32%
No - I have already returned home (10)
10%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
23%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (28)
28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed