The Student Room Group

Is it worth going to University of Manchester for Psychology?

Hi. I'm struggling to decide between studying at manchester or birmingham for psychology (I applied to Oxford but doubt I'll get an offer). Don't particularly want to live in Birmingham but according to Unistats.com 26% people who study psychology get a first, whereas at Manchester only 9% people got a first. Firstly, how reliable is unistats.com and if these stats are true then how important are they? Birmingham seems the better choice but would much rather be living in Manchester
Reply 1
Definitely Manchester.

It is a top 30 uni in the world (it does worse in UK rankings) while Birmingham isn't even top 70.

Manchester tends to be better also at sciences.

Manchester is also a much nicer place to live as you said above.

In any case the percentage of people getting a first doesn't affect your own experience at all. It only reflects the amount of effort select students put in. Plus unistats tend to not have particularly large sample sizes so the data may be skewed.
Original post by aersh8
Definitely Manchester.

It is a top 30 uni in the world (it does worse in UK rankings) while Birmingham isn't even top 70.

In any case the percentage of people getting a first doesn't affect your own experience at all. It only reflects the amount of effort select students put in. Plus unistats tend to not have particularly large sample sizes so the data may be skewed.

I think the data for results comes from the university not their sample of students who respond to questionaires.

I think birmingham is better known for psychology, but if you really don't like it manchester would be okay. Do you not have any other choices?
Reply 3
Original post by aersh8
Definitely Manchester.

The psychology school has links to the Max Plankt (if I've spelled that right) institute in Germany. So basically it is one of the best in the world for research. I know the child language team is renowned for its research; when I was doing research in that, I kept getting referred to journals from them. So they're definitely a well renowned uni. But the quality of teaching might be different issue.

Quick Reply

Latest