Ever since I started my A levels, my future has become blurred Watch

CalW98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I started my A levels with a clear ambition to go to Uni to study Law with German; but now I am against that idea and I have no idea what to do with my life after college.

I am studying English Literature, German, Government & Politics and Modern History.

I have become realistic in my views (or pessimistic), and accepted there isn't a great deal of opportunity in the world of law; especially with the competitiveness and and oversubscribed courses. I enjoy my subjects, but I don't think there is a lot I can do with them? I have thought about an Apprenticeship, but they're mostly manual labour; which I am not interested in.

Also, UCAS threatens me; I dropped Critical Thinking because it was boring and didn't think it would be that great a deal of help in the long run, but now I'm hearing about points or something for UCAS, and thinking I'm not going to get enough or something...

Has anybody studied similar subjects to me? What did you do after A levels?
MickoXD
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Critical thinking isn't that important to universities. Yes it provides you with more UCAS points but its not really valued as high as a usual A-level subject.
elisabeth1996
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what grades were your GCSEs and what do you think you will get at A level??
CalW98
Rep:
?
(Original post by elisabeth1996)
what grades were your GCSEs and what do you think you will get at A level??
I got 4A*s 3As 4Bs at GCSE

I am predicted 4As at A level
sophiamarni
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CalW98)
I got 4A*s 3As 4Bs at GCSE

I am predicted 4As at A level

wooow you did way better than me i failed triple sci but i do have cf and i was sick but lets hope a uni will take meeeeee
CalW98
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophiamarni)
wooow you did way better than me i failed triple sci but i do have cf and i was sick but lets hope a uni will take meeeeee
I don't really think your GCSEs will matter when it comes to Uni - so long as you have good A levels; but I feel like my life would be boring if I went to uni
What are you wanting to study at uni?
Uw0tm8_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I studied chem, bio, maths and physics at sixth form.. But i had no passion for those subjects i feel like i only did what i did because that is what was expected of me.

Now I'm retaking the year, doing English lit, History, Sociology and Psychology, and i absolutely love my subjects.

I do citizenship too which is as bad as critical thhinking -.- dont worry! Most unis dont even accept it as an A level.
Howbeit
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What area of law were you considering entering? There are lots of opportunities in the world of law, it's a huge area. The best jobs are always going to be competitive, this isn't exclusive to law, so naturally it will be oversubscribed, but so will other sought after jobs. Aside from this, Law is an amazing degree to have and can take you in all kinds of directions. So if you change your mind that you don't want to practice law you could enter many other professions.
sophiamarni
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't really think your GCSEs will matter when it comes to Uni - so long as you have good A levels; but I feel like my life would be boring if I went to uni
What are you wanting to study at uni?
ppe
CalW98
Rep:
?
(Original post by RobertWhite)
What area of law were you considering entering? There are lots of opportunities in the world of law, it's a huge area. The best jobs are always going to be competitive, this isn't exclusive to law, so naturally it will be oversubscribed, but so will other sought after jobs. Aside from this, Law is an amazing degree to have and can take you in all kinds of directions. So if you change your mind that you don't want to practice law you could enter many other professions.
Maybe family or human rights
CalW98
Rep:
?
(Original post by sophiamarni)
ppe
I would enjoy that; politics is my favourite A level and I regret not taking economics
CalW98
Rep:
?
please please dont worry about critical thinking my school offered it too its so stupid, you don't need to worry about ucas points anymore. only people with low (lower to be politically correct) a level grades should worry about those. look up any top uni and it will ask for grades, not ucas points. if law is what you really want then you can do it and get a great job too. the competitiveness should be exciting for you!!! try to get work experience, email phone anything. look it up. also try to get highest grades possible. a law degree doesn't just make you a judge/lawyer, there are many many other vocations you can take with law. i am very surprised that you're thinking about apprenticeship since you are a good student and these are often the resort of people who can't do a levels because of bad GCSEs. im not doing law but my friend is. embrace the competition! adn good luck
Thank you for this reply! What are you studying / doing now?
mackemforever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started my A levels with a clear ambition to go to Uni to study Law with German; but now I am against that idea and I have no idea what to do with my life after college.

I am studying English Literature, German, Government & Politics and Modern History.

I have become realistic in my views (or pessimistic), and accepted there isn't a great deal of opportunity in the world of law; especially with the competitiveness and and oversubscribed courses. I enjoy my subjects, but I don't think there is a lot I can do with them? I have thought about an Apprenticeship, but they're mostly manual labour; which I am not interested in.

Also, UCAS threatens me; I dropped Critical Thinking because it was boring and didn't think it would be that great a deal of help in the long run, but now I'm hearing about points or something for UCAS, and thinking I'm not going to get enough or something...

Critical thinking is irrelevant. Yes it does count for a small number of UCAS points but an increasingly small number of Universities pay any attention to it, most ignore it completely and any offer they make you will not include it.
CalW98
Rep:
?
after not doing well enough in my AS i am currently praying (almost) for an offer from warwick bristol or LSE (omg please).. got AABC. applying to do economics and already have offers from nottingham and bristol which i'm pleased with, but as you can tell i aim high. don't make the same mistake as me by not trying in your AS levels. was going to apply to oxbridge but obviously that's out of the question now but if any other accepts me i'll be a very happy girl! haha
Good luck!
elisabeth1996
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good luck!
thanks!!! and you too
Azurefeline
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I suggest that you wait for another few months before worrying about this.

Chances are something will draw you to it, as long as you're doing background reading for your subjects. Don't do law because you thought you wanted to do law, but don't ignore law because you decided you didn't want to go that way. Assuming you're doing AS's at the minute, you've got loads of time - you don't even have to decide for another 11 months. Focus on your studies, and a degree (or otherwise) will make itself clear to you. Don't be afraid to go to a ton of universities, and do subject talks for 3 or more subjects if you want to.
username1096803
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://keyconceptsdiscussedinpolitic...logspot.co.uk/
jacksd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just because you're going to study law at uni does not mean that you have to follow law as a career afterwards. Any law degree will leave you with many options after uni, and it is a very well respected degree which makes your job application stand out amongst the rest (depending on the job you apply for). I am going to be studying law and I really don't know what I want to do after, well I have a rough idea but it's not really an established career path, but doing law will benefit me in it at least.
Iggy Azalea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

My plan in Year 11: (Career ambition, EU translator)

A Levels: Politics, Spanish, German, French and Modern History

French, Spanish and Russian at uni.

My plan at the start of Year 12: (Career Ambition: Marketing director)

AS Levels taken: French, Spanish, Philosophy and Business

Uni plan: Business Studies and Japanese OR
Italian and Japanese

My plan at the end of Year 12: (Career Ambition: Teacher)

A Levels: French, Business and Philosophy (was going to drop Spanish!)

French and Japanese at uni.

My plan right now (now all done on UCAS):

A Levels I take: Spanish, French and Philosophy

Spanish and Chinese at uni.

Career Ambition: EVERYTHING!
I might work in tourism, be an TEFL teacher abroad for a bit, start my own translation business and perhaps work as a diplomat in the longer run.
The point I'm trying to make is that you'll make your decision when the time is right. I thought I had a clear idea of my future when I started sixth form, but I didn't, and I probably still don't.

But to be fair, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO MAP OUT YOUR FUTURE YET. A lot of young people try to make themselves highly suited to only one job, but that simply isn't the case as the majority of adults venture into different careers since it's human nature to appreciate change.

The best advice I can give is, do what you enjoy and what makes you a well rounded person. Everyone changes their mind at some point, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Cherx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Iggy Azalea)
X
Nice post

I'm currently at cross roads too as I have no clue on what to be. It seems like not a single job suits/interests me

Your post gave me hope :lol:

EDIT - So, what is your career ambition now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads