The Student Room Group

CV for a biochemistry PhD

Hi everyone.

I'm currently applying for PhDs in biochemistry, in particular structural biology and genomics. I'm currently in the last year of my 4 year biochem course at Oxford (a combined masters and undergrad) and did a relevant research project last summer as well as a project for my masters.

I'm writing an academic CV, but it's hard to find advice. Even my university's careers service advice for academic CVs is aimed at people a decade into their career. For example they recommend having sections on publications, grants awarded, a synopsis of your PhD etc. Needless to say this isn't of much use to me.

My current draft is fairly concise, just fitting on one page. It has the following sections:
- Education (undergrad, A levels, GCSE)
- Research Experience (Details of my two projects and a summary of the techniques used)
- Other skills and experience (Working at some conferences, and computer programming skills)
- Referees

I'm at that difficult point where I could add some more info, such as a summary of my research interests and hobbies, which would take me over one page, but I don't think I could fill two pages without obviously padding. It just looks so neat on one page! Plus I do actually have relevant experience, which I don't want to dilute with random bits of extracurricular activity.

So... I'm asking the TSR community for your advice. Is it best to keep it brief or be as comprehensive as possible? Do I really need my GCSE results? Do I need a research interests section? or to include my hobbies?
The current draft you have sounds fine. I wouldn't bother with hobbies or extra curriculars. Most PhD applications will require a personal statement or a covering letter which is where you can be more comprehensive about your relevant experience and qualifications. You could have 2-3 lines just under your name and contact details which are a 'profile' of sorts i.e research interests and what you're looking for.
Thanks alleycat393

(Hopefully) there will also be an interview where I can talk about other activities if they really want to know.
Original post by caenorhabditis
...............?

There's a CV Help forum you could use. In the mean time, you don't put your referee details on your CV, so that will gain some more help. They also won't want to know about your hobbies. Finding space for your research interests would probably be useful though. You don't need your GCSEs on there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending