The Student Room Group

Remembrance Day: Did you take part in a 2 minute's silence today?

There's been outrage as a school in Melbourne have moved their 2 minute's silence to 10:50am.

Will you be taking part in 2 minute's silence at 11am today to remember those that fought and have fallen?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, I will be, and I hope everyone in this country who is able to will be also.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
There's been outrage as a school in Melbourne have moved their 2 minute's silence to 10:50am.

I say does it really matter? They're doing it just at a different time. If it's during a breaktime, it's going to be more difficult to know where everyone is. No biggie.

Will you be taking part in 2 minute's silence at 11am today to remember those that fought and have fallen?
Reply 3
I swear some people must enjoy being outraged. Maybe it makes them feel superior. "HOW COULD ANYONE THINK 10:50 WAS THE APPROPRIATE TIME TO BE SILENT? IT HAS TO BE 11 O'CLOCK OR ELSE IT WON'T BE THE 11TH OF THE 11TH OF THE 11TH. WHY CAN'T EVERYONE BE AS CORRECT AND CULTURALLY SENSITIVE AS ME?"

Yes I'll be taking part but only because I'm at work. I wouldn't do it if not for the social pressure of looking like an insensitive ass by disturbing the silence.

Also, was it always two minutes? I seem to remember in school only doing one minute.

I will as always! :smile:
Definitely-our school does it:smile:
Yes. We have a whole school remembrance service. It is compulsory to wear a poppy and we do the 2 minutes silence by our school memorial.
Reply 7
WWI was due to the Empire dreams of a few people, The Kaiser and his entourage.
WWII was the same for Hitler.
Will the Russians and especially Putin take a minute to think?
Will members of ISIS?
Of course America shouldn't forget it either.

Some people in power have a warped view of what it is to be great, the masses get swept along.
(edited 9 years ago)

no true Englishman could fail to do so.
Why the outrage? People need to get a life, it's not as though they're going to be blasting out music in front of the cenotaph.

I used to do it at school. Might do it today. Not sure yet.
Yes, as a whole school we will be taking part in the 2 minutes silence in remembrance of the soldiers that have fought (and are still fighting in other countries too) at 11am.
Original post by NJA
WWI was due to the Empire dreams of a few people, The Kaiser and his entourage.
WWII was the same for Hitler.
Will the Russians and especially Putin take a minute to think?
Will members of ISIS?
Of course America shouldn't forget it either.

Some people in power have a warped view of what it is to be great, the masses get swept along.

Not really. All the other great powers were just as militaristic and imperialistic.
Reply 12
Original post by tengentoppa
Not really. All the other great powers were just as militaristic and imperialistic.
But they were not the aggressors, Germany could have become great through industry & trade.
I'm in class right now. We'll be doing it any second now!
And we just did it.
remembrance-day-poppy-flag-6719-p.gif

Never forget those that fought yesterday, today and tomorrow.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes as always. Some people complain about the social pressure, well I just did it on my own in my house
Reply 17
Changed my mind. Decided to get into the spirit of it.
Had a moving ceremony at work. A million poppies were released from the 14th floor and allowed to float down to the atrium below, followed by a trumpeter playing the Last Post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Kind of.

I'm in a shopping centre and everyone took silence as "immediately stop moving and stand completely still".

So I ended up walking past waves of people staring at me as if I was committing some sort of gross act, despite the fact I was taking part in the silence.

Quick Reply