Turn on thread page Beta

How much money gettin each month? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im just curious, how much are you getting each month at university or 'when' you enter university. Is it going to be from parents? Loan? Grant? For me my parents are paying me 1200 quid monthly for me to use for food and fun whilst they pay for accomodation and university. Is that enough? or too little?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    Im just curious, how much are you getting each month at university or 'when' you enter university. Is it going to be from parents? Loan? Grant? For me my parents are paying me 1200 quid monthly for me to use for food and fun whilst they pay for accomodation and university. Is that enough? or too little?
    Even could live off £300 a week.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    300 a week? what exactly are you saying....ur gettin 300 a week?

ReputationRep:
    300 a week!!! what exactly are you saying....ur gettin 300 a week?
    If you are getting £1200 a month, that is £300 a week is it not?

I usually spend about £170 a week but this is a lot more than I really need.

I could easily live off about £60-£70 a week

am in catered but have cut down to £20-30 a week, any more than that is just stupid

ReputationRep:
    I will get £60 week from my student loan, and my parents will be paying for accomodoation and tutition fees.

ReputationRep:
    I pay my daughter's fees and accommodation and give her £200 a month during term time. She gets by on that & her loan, although I do sometimes treat her to petrol and books! And that's a lot more than many students manage on. £1200 a month isn't going to prepare you for living in the 'real world'.

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't even earn that much. It seems way too much, I know plenty of students who manage perfectly on less than £100 (and that has to pay the rent!) a week. I manage of about £40 a week but then I don't live at out, I still have to pay some rent though.

If anybody thinks that £300 a week is not enough really needs to go and live in Moss Side for a few weeks to see the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Your getting £1200 a MONTH? Thats £300 a week!!! My parents pay my fee's, and give me £300 a month to live off, and then my £3000 loan pays for my accomodation (which is £2700).

Are you getting a loan? Or are your parents paying everything?

ReputationRep:
    Crazy crazy crazy people! £300 a week is a phenomenal amount even if you were paying for accomodation- but you are not.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be earning more than a lot of working people - if you include tuition fees and accomodation you're total package is probably close to the average working wage - similar to what you will earn when you graduate!

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me to be honest. Me and my sister both have to live at home because my parents can't afford to give us any money for university.

Then people come on here say is £1200 a month enough to live on...

Thats £14,400 a year loads of working people don't even earn that, plus on top of that they have to pay rent etc.

I appreciate that parents do contribute a certain amount to the living costs for many students but surely any student cannot feel right about taking THAT kind of amount from thier parents? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I appreciate that parents do contribute a certain amount to the living costs for many students but surely any student cannot feel right about taking THAT kind of amount from thier parents? :confused:
    Well, it depends how much money your parents have...

ReputationRep:
    That's a heck of a lot more than I'll get...

ReputationRep:
    If the parents are stinking rich then fair enough. What has annoyed me is the fact this member has come on asking if £1200 a month is enough. I would be gald if my parents even gave me £1200 a year. Instead I have to pay them £100 a term and I had to pay for a new bed room window (£390) etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Plus surely the parents would know that such sums are a major excess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    Plus surely the parents would know that such sums are a major excess.
    Unless the child is their only dearest <smirk> and they're rolling in it, so they can afford to ensure that the kid can shop in Harrods Food court weekly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    If the parents are stinking rich then fair enough. What has annoyed me is the fact this member has come on asking if £1200 a month is enough. I would be gald if my parents even gave me £1200 a year. Instead I have to pay them £100 a term and I had to pay for a new bed room window (£390) etc.
    But you live at home which is your choice. And £100 a term is a good deal. My accomm is about £800 a term. I presume you dont pay food which is at least £40 and other misc household items a week for most people. I would have been happy to live at home to do this course but didnt have the luxury if I had lived at home I would have had to pay housekeeping etc. I know people who to live at home have had to hand over to their parents their entire loan so count your self lucky.

The thread starter will probably now appreciate how fortunate he is. I wish my parents could afford to give me that much a week, but theres no need to get annoyed about it. Some people are luckier than others its as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    I've given my parents about £3000 in total of my loan so far, they are paying it back eventually though apart from the £100 a term.

I do pay for a lot of my food for example when I am at university or work etc.

I am not exactly rich, I will be in debt £9k when I leave, I am don't exactly have an over the top life style either, although I do use my loan for holidays and stuff like that so if I didn't do that then I could get away with having less loan.

In some ways those who don't have much money are more lucky because they are learning how to live of short amounts and budget, if you get paid £1200 a month just for being a student then the only budgeting you will know is how to spend £300 on a meal.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.