Turn on thread page Beta

How much money gettin each month? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    http://www.ex.ac.uk/admin/students/s...ursaries03.htm

Amazingtrade if you had known about it you may have been eligible for something like this for your undergrad. It covers the salford area. So its definitely worth checking funding for your postgrad.
    Yeah my sister's applied for somthing like that, the problem is I live in a good area but it comes under Manchester City Council so I am probably elgible even though I'm not form a disadvantaged background compared to most. I think when I started (2002) there was nothing apart from the standard Salford busery. My sister is going to get £1000 a year but its too late for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Its like the old saying, the rich look after the rich, the poor get poorer. There was me feeling guilty for using my loan for my summer holiday.
    Having thought about it though, would we see it as a problem if she spent the student loan on student things, and her parents invested £3000 of their own money in a high interest account?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my sister's applied for somthing like that, the problem is I live in a good area but it comes under Manchester City Council so I am probably elgible even though I'm not form a disadvantaged background compared to most. I think when I started (2002) there was nothing apart from the standard Salford busery. My sister is going to get £1000 a year but its too late for me.
    On that link there was a preexisting scheme which started for 2001 entry and now there is a new scheme starting this year.

ReputationRep:
    yeah tell me about it! i do go to private school n it pisses me off when everyones mummy does f**k all all day n then they whinge about how busy their parents are and how stressful their lives are!!! Daddy works like 10 hrs a week and yet they still have such a hard life!!!!! Some people really do need a swift kicking into the real world!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstenb)
    yeah tell me about it! i do go to private school n it pisses me off when everyones mummy does f**k all all day n then they whinge about how busy their parents are and how stressful their lives are!!! Daddy works like 10 hrs a week and yet they still have such a hard life!!!!! Some people really do need a swift kicking into the real world!!!!
    Yeah my dad gets a pension but he still has two jobs. He runs his own business which isn't doing very well, he also delivers leaflets for external companies. My mum takes the phone calls. does all the business admin etc.

I think I am lucky to have well enough parents to live in a decent area and have a good upbringing but not rich enough to be spoilt. I remember when my parents first bought a car, it was a 6 year old Lada, it seemed like such a luxery and going on holiday to Pontins was such a great treat.

ReputationRep:
    woah, whats with the attacks?!? i was just posing a question not insulting pple so aggressive responses were uncalled for. Truth is im new to this country and since its expensive and the uni im going to is in central london i was just asking for an idea on what the average student gets so that i can in turn ask my parents for a 'suitable' amount. Fine the 1200 does seem like alot, but due to the fact that il be living alone, my parents felt that they should provide me with 'extras' just incase of emergencies or to pay for flights etc, so its not totally for food and fun. anyways il probably request a lower amount.
    Just an innocent question,
    thanks anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    woah, whats with the attacks?!? i was just posing a question not insulting pple so aggressive responses were uncalled for. Truth is im new to this country and since its expensive and the uni im going to is in central london i was just asking for an idea on what the average student gets so that i can in turn ask my parents for a 'suitable' amount. Fine the 1200 does seem like alot, but due to the fact that il be living alone, my parents felt that they should provide me with 'extras' just incase of emergencies or to pay for flights etc, so its not totally for food and fun. anyways il probably request a lower amount.
    Just an innocent question,
    thanks anyways.

ok you can see why people where a bit annoyed about what you said though since the average salary in the UK is somthing like £16,000.

Even for london £1200 a month is very uverkill. Its not that expensive, certainly not as expensive as people make it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    ok you can see why people where a bit annoyed about what you said though since the average salary in the UK is somthing like £16,000.

Even for london £1200 a month is very uverkill. Its not that expensive, certainly not as expensive as people make it out to be.
    Have you lived in London. My friend shares a 2 bed flat and her rent alone is £750 a month and its not that special. You cant ge ta meal in the pub down her road (main course this is) for less than £10.

ReputationRep:
    Have you lived in London. My friend shares a 2 bed flat and her rent alone is £750 a month and its not that special. You cant ge ta meal in the pub down her road (main course this is) for less than £10.
    They have wetherspoons and stuff, I stayed in central London for a week and found if you budget you can get things cheap, food in supermarkets is the same price as Manchester. Pubs are a bit dearer, was about £2.40 a pint (£2.20 in Manchester) , but wetherspoons was the same as Manchester.

If you are student though you will probably live in student halls, they can't be any more than £120 a week.

I know London is dearer than any other city but £1200 a month is probably still too much unless you wantto go to ministry of sound every night or posh Chelsea resturants.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in student halls in London, and you parents are paying tuition fee's and rent, then I can't imagine you needing more than about £400-£500 a month. If you're catered then you'll need half that amount.

ReputationRep:
    No, but if you go anywhere else in London, you can easily get a decent meal for £5. Although I admit that the rent problem is horrific in London.

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me to be honest. Me and my sister both have to live at home because my parents can't afford to give us any money for university.

Then people come on here say is £1200 a month enough to live on...

Thats £14,400 a year loads of working people don't even earn that, plus on top of that they have to pay rent etc.
    It's actually nearer £22000 gross. And you are getting accomodation paid on top of that so yes you should be able to live, very comfortably on that even in London.

ReputationRep:
    Have I missed somthing?

ok my originaly calculation was incurate because I was lazy and did 1200*12.

However its the correct amount is £15,600

£300*52=£15,600

and I bet she there is no tax on that.

ReputationRep:
    Im just curious, how much are you getting each month at university or 'when' you enter university. Is it going to be from parents? Loan? Grant? For me my parents are paying me 1200 quid monthly for me to use for food and fun whilst they pay for accomodation and university. Is that enough? or too little?
    You spoiled Brat............................ ...

ReputationRep:
    They did mention something about flights - if they live a fair way away then trips home could make the costs mount up. But most home students here live off of £1200 a term, not a month!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    They did mention something about flights - if they live a fair way away then trips home could make the costs mount up. But most home students here live off of £1200 a term, not a month!

but surly their parents could just pay for the flights when they were needed?!?

i get £350 a month of various relatives..and as my accomodation swallows all my loan that money plus anything i earn (which is about £20-40 a week) is what i live off. i live comfortably on that.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    i get 4000 loan, my catered accomodation is about 3300 a year which i pay out of my loan.I don't have to pay fees.
    My parents tend to pay for my train ticket home, books, dentists appointmetns etc.
    When i'm at uni i tend to be self sufficient but when i'm at home i don't pay for food etc. I havn't got a term time job but during the chrsitmas and easter holls i earnt about £450 which was enough to tide me over inbetween loan payments and i pretty much surive off my summer earnings, from which i normally hope to get about 1500-2000 quid.

In a way even if my paretns were in a position to pay for me to go through uni i don't know if i would accept there offer. Paying my own way has taught me how to budget and save while aslo being able to splassh out occasionally. Its definately given me more independence and i think i'll cope fine when i leave uni and not get into any additional debt. (although i think 16000 to the student laons people is scary enough as it is). The ammoutn some of my friends seem to spend is redicuous and their parents always bale tehm out. Personally i can see them getting into real problems in later life when there isn't someone to bale them out.

Not that i'm saying its wrong to provide for yout kids, if i was a parent i woudl want to do the same and realsitically if someone offered me the choice 16000 grand det or no debt it is obvious which one i would choose. however, there are some people that are so detached from reality that it might skrew them up in the future.

Eg one of my friends has spent a huge ammount and her parents keep bailing her out but she actually can't stop shopping and is always going out for posh meals etc except, her brother will be coming up to uni next year and there is no way her parents can afford to support both of them if she carries on spending. SO she'll get one hell of a culture shock when the endless bailouts stop.

ReputationRep:
    Im just curious, how much are you getting each month at university or 'when' you enter university. Is it going to be from parents? Loan? Grant? For me my parents are paying me 1200 quid monthly for me to use for food and fun whilst they pay for accomodation and university. Is that enough? or too little?
    wow, thats a lot. my parents are going to be paying for my course fees & hall fees too but i don't think theyre giving me that much on top of the loan. my dad thinks that i'll get by on £3070 (the loan) for the year, my mum thinks i'll need more. but that works out at £100 ish a week so it'll be fine hopefully. geez, £300 per week. i wish.
    but i'm already getting comments about not being able to go on holiday so i guess i don't wish for that much really.

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me to be honest. Me and my sister both have to live at home because my parents can't afford to give us any money for university.

Then people come on here say is £1200 a month enough to live on...

Thats £14,400 a year loads of working people don't even earn that, plus on top of that they have to pay rent etc.
    Don't be harsh to that person. It's not their fault that they are naive to the way other people live and there only asking a decent question, not trying to make themselves better than others or put others down! don't be mean!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Don't be harsh to that person. It's not their fault that they are naive to the way other people live and there only asking a decent question, not trying to make themselves better than others or put others down! don't be mean!
    If you're 17 or 18 and don't know that £300 a week is a ridiculous amount of money to be living on as a student, you're not just naive.

You've gone beyond naivety into the realms of stupidity, and you don't deserve to be a student at all.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.