Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    but still, you must know that 14k a year is a lot jsut for spending money, I think you got so many unhelpful replies because people couldnt believe it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    no its not a piss take!
    If you have no productive reply to my post then dont make a reply.
    I was just ASKING for advice.....this is my first time living in london and the first time i am technically going to be given 'allowance' to use so to speak, therefore i have absolutly no idea how much is little or too much.....true where i lived before that amount is enough to last me for 3 years!!! but after living in london for only six months ive realised that using money for the same things i usually spend money on proved to be almost 4 times more expensive. I mean with the price of a coke here i can get 8 cokes where i lived. Im spanish but i lived in dubai (U.A.E) which is a tax free country, so ofcourse that amount seems rather high, but like i said, i DONT KNOW what the average student spends in this country. Perhaps with heindsight it does appear naive of me to ask such a question but most of the replies received were just plain dumb and not helpful. Thanks to those who took the time to provide an honest answer. Btw, im sure once i get adjusted to living here i would be able to contol my money flow and save money etc. But at the moment i DO NOT know which supermarket is cheaper to shop at or other means of money savings, which means for at least the first few months i would be using more money than a student who's familiar with london or who has lived here all their lives.
    I'll reply if I want.
    I just couldn't believe how absurd a thread that was.
    You might wanna try doing a bit of research before you come here cos seems like you don't have a clue about living in London.
    And anyway, why worry about supermarkets, with the money you're being spoon-fed I'd just get takeaways all the time.

ReputationRep:
    It's not far off though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I never spent anything like £378 a yr on books/equipment...more like £100 at the most.

And as for £400 on clothing...way out...I didn't have any new clothes while at uni (although I was lucky because my sister put on a bit of weight and passed her old clothes on to me) - charity shops, hand-me-downs and the odd bargain (nothing over £15).

And over £35 a week on leisure :eek: I don't think so - my budget for *everything* (food transport and leisure) was £50 a week.

£400 a year on clothing. Haha

I probably haven't spent £400 on clothing in the last ten years put together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    Im just curious, how much are you getting each month at university or 'when' you enter university. Is it going to be from parents? Loan? Grant? For me my parents are paying me 1200 quid monthly for me to use for food and fun whilst they pay for accomodation and university. Is that enough? or too little?
    if your parents didn't pay for the tuition fees that would b about right :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marina183)
    I'll reply if I want.
    I just couldn't believe how absurd a thread that was.
    You might wanna try doing a bit of research before you come here cos seems like you don't have a clue about living in London.
    And anyway, why worry about supermarkets, with the money you're being spoon-fed I'd just get takeaways all the time.
    Well this is probably part of his research you twit, I mean this is the place to ask for info when you're stuck. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Well this is probably part of his research you twit, I mean this is the place to ask for info when you're stuck. :rolleyes:
    very sensible reply.
    ok - uk, is very poor in comparison to dubai... thus £1200 a week seems obscene. its like say a brit went to uni in somewhere even poorer theyd take the piss out of you having £100 a week to waste.

seriously, if you had that amount of money @ uni here youd feel really alienated and just end up mixing with the handful who had the same amount.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.