ALL I WANT TO DO IN LIFE IS GET INTO COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, thanks.

Watch
guledgwan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 50 years ago
At the moment I'm in year 11, I am studying 13 subjects for GCSE's, including triple science.
I have done 2 of the 13 already, French and Religious Studies. Sadly, I got a B in French, but an A in RE.
I am predicting me to get all A* and A's in the rest of my 11 subjects and at A Levels I want to study English Language, Mathematics, History and Philosophy. I plan to get all 4 A*.

Extra curricular activities include : I am the elected Youth Councillor for North Leicester in a city wide election, I am chair of the debating society, and I run a blog which has gathered a decent viewing where I post certain articles and a bit of poetry.

I have always wanted to get into Columbia University, ever since I can remember, and I don't know what they are looking for or how I can apply, I looked on their websites but didn't find anything that helpful. Can anyone here please help me with any experience in applying to Ivy League Universities from the UK, how they applied, the process, what they look for and what I can do given the 3 years I have to make myself the 'perfect' candidate so to speak.

Thank you in advance,

Now its back to revision, haha.
username1050473
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by guledyaqub)
At the moment I'm in year 11, I am studying 13 subjects for GCSE's, including triple science.
I have done 2 of the 13 already, French and Religious Studies. Sadly, I got a B in French, but an A in RE.
I am predicting me to get all A* and A's in the rest of my 11 subjects and at A Levels I want to study English Language, Mathematics, History and Philosophy. I plan to get all 4 A*.

Extra curricular activities include : I am the elected Youth Councillor for North Leicester in a city wide election, I am chair of the debating society, and I run a blog which has gathered a decent viewing where I post certain articles and a bit of poetry.

I have always wanted to get into Columbia University, ever since I can remember, and I don't know what they are looking for or how I can apply, I looked on their websites but didn't find anything that helpful. Can anyone here please help me with any experience in applying to Ivy League Universities from the UK, how they applied, the process, what they look for and what I can do given the 3 years I have to make myself the 'perfect' candidate so to speak.

Thank you in advance,

Year 11 is a good time to start looking at this. May I recommend you Sutton Trust? They offer a US programme, where they take people to the USA for a summer school, and give them advice in applying for American colleges. There's some great resources on there Give me a shout if you want more help!
Carnun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Couldn't agree more.

I'm a student on this year's Sutton Trust programme, and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Viceroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are a lot of other unis out there that are as good as Columbia. Don't set your sights on one place like that because, if you don't get in, you'll be hugely disappointed. Is there a reason why you're so set on Columbia?
Uw0tm8_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thread title is a 10/10 personal statement, i would give you an offer tbH
popo123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by guledyaqub)

Thank you in advance,

Well, your GPA would be ok- not outstanding and your ECs are good: they show decent leadership and a variety, however a couple more in a good amount of depth would help you.

You have to sit the SAT/ACT, and in my experience you should start preparing now to have a good chance at getting a good score. Then you must sit SAT subject tests which are just as arduous as they're meant for Americans

The application isn't cheap and neither is the education: Columbia is known for not giving great financial aid for it's international students so that's gonna be quite hard to get.
Don't get too caught up in it though- Columbia, like the rest of the Ivy League, has very low acceptance rate in an admission process that is very hard to truly master- imo, and that of others, tackling an Ivy League application is harder than an Oxbridge one.

Also essays! Start early, do a tiny bit a day and then in the end you'll have amazing essays. Also try to do well at some national competitions: essay writing ones or Olympiads for maths/science

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
guledgwan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by popo123)
Well, your GPA would be ok- not outstanding and your ECs are good: they show decent leadership and a variety, however a couple more in a good amount of depth would help you.

You have to sit the SAT/ACT, and in my experience you should start preparing now to have a good chance at getting a good score. Then you must sit SAT subject tests which are just as arduous as they're meant for Americans

The application isn't cheap and neither is the education: Columbia is known for not giving great financial aid for it's international students so that's gonna be quite hard to get.
Don't get too caught up in it though- Columbia, like the rest of the Ivy League, has very low acceptance rate in an admission process that is very hard to truly master- imo, and that of others, tackling an Ivy League application is harder than an Oxbridge one.

Also essays! Start early, do a tiny bit a day and then in the end you'll have amazing essays. Also try to do well at some national competitions: essay writing ones or Olympiads for maths/science

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, I have done more research and figured its not worth it, and my background is not on that would be able to afford the fees. I guess it was just another dream...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (89)
13.97%
I'm not sure (30)
4.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (201)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.2%
I'm not a current university student (303)
47.57%

Watched Threads