The Student Room Group

CGP won't get you higher than a grade C? Chemistry

This is what my chemistry teacher told me today and I wanted to know if anyone has found the same thing.
What resources do you use?
If it helps I'm doing AS Edexcel Chemistry
Stupid. I used CGP study guides and they were great. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is probably true - revision guides are guides that gloss over the main topics. Use the official textbook and internet resources to fully flesh out your learning.
Reply 3
Original post by Katie9876
This is what my chemistry teacher told me today and I wanted to know if anyone has found the same thing.

to be honest with you, CGP simplify content quite a lot. But the whole nature of a chemistry A-level is to understand the content and then apply it. so use whatever to understand the theory and then its all down to you to just continually practice questions. Thats the best way to get good grades in chemistry.

Sort of true, sort of not true. CGP revision guides are excellent for revising content - for content revision, they're great. However, as a sole revision aid, they're not. CGP revision guides contain enough content for you to get as high a grade as you want but you'll only get that if you use it for what it is, a revision aid. Just reading a CGP book does not constitute all of your revision. And as has already been mentioned, they're for revision, not learning. You can't learn stuff properly from a revision guide.
Reply 5

Completely disagree. I only used the CGP revision guide for AS Chemistry and got a B( A few marks off an A) I really like them because they give you the facts and quick, I actually hate the official text book for AS Chem there's too much waffle in there in my opinion. It's also down to practice! Do lots of Qs outside of class :smile:

Well I used a CGP book 2 weeks before the exams and got an A in edexcel chemistry in the june exams this year
Use the complete guide (the thicker text books that contain more info) they are the best. Why bother with the small thin ones when you can use the bigger better ones? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I relied almost entirely on CGP books for my GCSEs. Once I got onto AS, this was not the case, however, I still used them a lot. In A2, I still do.
Reply 9
Thank you for the answers! I think I'll buy a textbook ,but this has reassured me about CGP :smile:
BULL!!!! i got full ums purely from revision guide work.
Reply 11
Well from my experience at GCSE i think they are ok to use but i am sure there are other books which provide you with much information. Since your teacher said this and he/ she may have some experinece meaning he/she may be right. I guess it depends doesint it...
I used them alongside the standard textbooks and it helped sometimes when I didn't understand from the textbook as it explained something in a different mannerism
It really depends on the textbook your school uses as its primary one, because ours uses Ann Fullick and it was the worst - I got a B in my AS. But I'm resitting both AS modules and coursework, so I got an alternative one (George Facer) and it's been helpful. A good aid teaches you content coherently, explains why it's reached certain conclusions and has a lot of practice questions, which George Facer's book does! good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest