asiya1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
i need help as im writing my controlled assesment next week
can someone give me quates and explanations on sexism racism poverty and class differences. my question basiccly is asking explore how does steinbeck present 1930s society???plzzzzzzzzz help
Grade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We did something similar in English today.

For racism you could talk about the segregation of Crooks, and how he's always alone because of his skin color, and treated differently.
You could also talk about what others at the ranch refer to him (N word).

This could be linked to how racist society was back in America during the 1930s, and how racism wasn't made illegal at the time, so black and whites were segregated and how black people were more likely to be lynched, which also links to Curley's wife and the way he is treated on the ranch.

I don't know anything for sexism.

For poverty, you could link back to the Great Depression in the 1930s and the Wall Street Crash in 1929, as many Americans were made unemployed, which led to being poor, eventually leading to poverty, resulting in many Americans living in Shanty Towns (Hoovervilles).
asiya1999
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Grade;51533175]We did something similar in English today.

For racism you could talk about the segregation of Crooks, and how he's always alone because of his skin color, and treated differently.
You could also talk about what others at the ranch refer to him (N word).

This could be linked to how racist society was back in America during the 1930s, and how racism wasn't made illegal at the time, so black and whites were segregated and how black people were more likely to be lynched, which also links to Curley's wife and the way he is treated on the ranch.

I don't know anything for sexism.

For poverty, you could link back to the Great Depression in the 1930s and the Wall Street Crash in 1929, as many Americans were made unemployed, which led to being poor, eventually leading to poverty, resulting in many Americans living in Shanty Towns (Hoovervilles).

thanks sooo muchxxxx
(Tom)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by asiya1999)
i need help as im writing my controlled assesment next week
can someone give me quates and explanations on sexism racism poverty and class differences. my question basiccly is asking explore how does steinbeck present 1930s society???plzzzzzzzzz help
Hey there's a really good overview of the key themes in this study guide http://www.markedbyteachers.com/stud...-mice-and-men/
Waqar600
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did this last year for English Literature and ended up with an A* in this exam and an A overall

In an effort to avoid rephrasing what others have said; sexism is portrayed in this novella through the attitudes towards Curley's Wife by other ranch members - including her own husband. To begin with, the fact that she is the only woman in the whole story that is actually there (Aunt Clara is either quoted or Lennie hallucinates of her). Curley's Wife is the only woman - yet her name remains unknown - she is merely referred to through her husband's name, thus objectifying her and portraying her as a possession of Curley.

Remember to link this to the reader's attitudes and the superficially misanthropic society of Depression era United States.

Hope I could help!
asiya1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by (Tom))
Hey there's a really good overview of the key themes in this study guide http://www.markedbyteachers.com/stud...-mice-and-men/

thanks
asiya1999
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Waqar600;51548671]I did this last year for English Literature and ended up with an A* in this exam and an A overall

In an effort to avoid rephrasing what others have said; sexism is portrayed in this novella through the attitudes towards Curley's Wife by other ranch members - including her own husband. To begin with, the fact that she is the only woman in the whole story that is actually there (Aunt Clara is either quoted or Lennie hallucinates of her). Curley's Wife is the only woman - yet her name remains unknown - she is merely referred to through her husband's name, thus objectifying her and portraying her as a possession of Curley.

Remember to link this to the reader's attitudes and the superficially misanthropic society of Depression era United States.

thanks so much do you have any websites or note that might be useful

thanks again
Waqar600
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're most welcome! I would recommend these for starters (as well as obvious ones like sparknotes)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...quality1.shtml

http://year10englishwoldingham.blogs...m-and.html?m=1

I cannot stress the importance of linking it to real life 1930s America and the influence on the author himself. (Steinbeck was born into a wealthy family but spent much of his time working alongside migrant farmers in the dustbowl)
asiya1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Waqar600)
You're most welcome! I would recommend these for starters (as well as obvious ones like sparknotes)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...quality1.shtml

http://year10englishwoldingham.blogs...m-and.html?m=1

I cannot stress the importance of linking it to real life 1930s America and the influence on the author himself. (Steinbeck was born into a wealthy family but spent much of his time working alongside migrant farmers in the dustbowl)

thank you can you explain what is meant by the writers purpose as my question is how the 1930s society is presented.
Waqar600
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The writers purpose? I'd guess you'd write about how he intends to successfully reflect the harsh realities of 1930s America, and convey the real struggles that he witnessed migrant workers undergo..
bh3528
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We did a similar thing and similar to what others have done. We had to do sub-sections on Lenny and how /why his disability was discriminated against, George and the sacrifices he made for Lenny, Crookes and racism and our teacher went on and on about juxtaposition and said it was the most important part of the book.
We also had to do a link up of how Of Mice and Men represents what life was like in the 1930s. In terms of quotes pick those that you think are significant and that something you can write about and explain why you have included it
asiya1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by bh3528)
We did a similar thing and similar to what others have done. We had to do sub-sections on Lenny and how /why his disability was discriminated against, George and the sacrifices he made for Lenny, Crookes and racism and our teacher went on and on about juxtaposition and said it was the most important part of the book.
We also had to do a link up of how Of Mice and Men represents what life was like in the 1930s. In terms of quotes pick those that you think are significant and that something you can write about and explain why you have included it
thanks alot do u hav any notes that u used
asiya1999
Rep:
?
can you give me an example with juxtaposition pleaseee:confused::confused::confused:
bh3528
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by asiya1999)
thanks alot do u hav any notes that u used
I have my Of Mice and Men book somewhere, I'll try and find it. Juxtaposition was like: Curley's wife wore a red dress when Lenny killed her to represent the danger she was in...

Things like that are what I used.
asiya1999
Rep:
?
I have my Of Mice and Men book somewhere, I'll try and find it. Juxtaposition was like: Curley's wife wore a red dress when Lenny killed her to represent the danger she was in...

Things like that are what I used.

thanks great help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed