The Student Room Group

Can anyone analyse these quotes from Romeo and Juliet in depth at an A* standard?

'star cross'd lovers'
'Two of the fairest stars in all the heaven'
I am trying to write an essay that is related with how romantic love is shown, would anyone be kind enough to analyse the quotes mentioned above in depth that relate to love at first sight that is controlled by fate!!!! Thank you
That would be called cheating
Reply 2
Star Crossed as I remember refers to the fact there from different families. It may be worth while exploring love through conflict as being both empowering and something that transcends the bitter intrigues of their families.
Original post by Nila15
'star cross'd lovers'
'Two of the fairest stars in all the heaven'
I am trying to write an essay that is related with how romantic love is shown, would anyone be kind enough to analyse the quotes mentioned above in depth that relate to love at first sight that is controlled by fate!!!! Thank you

From what i remember star crossed refers to the starts and how it was destined by the stars for them to be together...it has been a while since i did Romeo and Juliet but that is what i can remember.

Edit: In other words it was fate...
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmm, I haven't done Romeo and Juliet for GCSE, just read it for funsies, but I thought I'd give this a go :tongue:

To begin with, the comparison of love to the stars/heavens portrays the love of Romeo and Juliet as being a divine occurrence. For example, the use of the noun 'heavens' can be polysemic, as this can both refer to the heavens where God resides, but also the sky. As mentioned previously, this can also show that both Romeo and Juliet are bound by destiny to be together- when Romeo kills himself he cries out "Then I defy you, stars", showing that he wishes to transcend his cruel fate, but ironically he only ends up fulfilling it, and both lovers die tragically.
The quote in its actual context is of course referring to Juliet's eyes, which Romeo believes would shine brighter than the stars. This light imagery is a theme throughout the play, as the love of Romeo and Juliet is portrayed as a light shining brightly in the darkness.

That's all I have time for now, hopefully it isn't all BS :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest