spurs9393
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm interested in doing A Level Italian but unfortunately do not have it for GCSE. However I've been told that because I do GCSE Latin (predicted A/A*) I would be able to do A Level Italian. Does anybody know if this is true. Are the languages similar and also is A Level Italian a good qualification to have. Any other advice on the transition would be great. Thanks
JenniB22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Latin is not really any more similar to Italian than to any other European language (speaking as a Classics graduate)...I would say that Italian A Level from scratch would be really hard work, but it depends on how your school/college teaches it. Do you have any other language GCSEs? Because that would help a bit given the basic similarities between the Romance Languages.
jhstfu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My college (Greenhead) offers Italian and Spanish without GCSE's in them at A-level, people all seem to do fine but you do get 2 extra lessons extra a week
spurs9393
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by JenniB22)
Latin is not really any more similar to Italian than to any other European language (speaking as a Classics graduate)...I would say that Italian A Level from scratch would be really hard work, but it depends on how your school/college teaches it. Do you have any other language GCSEs? Because that would help a bit given the basic similarities between the Romance Languages.
Yes, I'm doing GCSE French & Latin and also planning to do French for A Level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15%
I'm not sure (14)
3.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (142)
33.81%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.43%
I'm not a current university student (195)
46.43%

Watched Threads