ljudge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I litrally have about a week to prepare for my french speaking gcse which I have to say 6 paragraphs in 6 minutes... ekk!!
Can someone please tell me how to revise or any helpful tips with learning french you will litrally be my life saver
beckalina1999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
just know it inside out there are no cheats with this one
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Stay calm
Have you been given a list of paragraphs/sections to write about on a particular topic?
Choose a few good ideas to write about each topic.
Pick out which tense they want it to be in.
Choose some more complex structures you may wish to include e.g. pronouns, if clauses, different people, adjectives, adverbs, opinions e.t.c.
As you've got little time make sure it is shorter but accurate (as you've got 6 minutes try 50 secs per paragraph).
Once you've perfected the paragraph try and learn them- just maybe a few sentences at a time but persevere because you need to know it really well.
Practice in front of family and friends- use the speaker on Google translate for pronunciation.
Keep timing yourself to make sure you can do it in the time - it will take longer from memory and you'll have umms and ahhs. Make sure it's not over the time they stop marking after a certain point.
There will probably be a mystery question at the end on the topic which you need to give a sentence answer for- practice some responses so it doesn't come as too much of a surprise and leave time for it otherwise you'll lose marks.
Hope this helps- ask me if you have any questions- I do GCSE french and I've done speaking.
Waqar600
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With two A*s under my belt in speaking, I can honestly tell you the first thing you need to do is stop panicking. Panicking is good,to an extent, as it produces better results, but it becomes bad when it starts blocking your ability to think clearly..

The second thing you want to do, if you still don't have one, is to choose a topic that YOU know you can talk about.

To gain the best marks, choose interesting sentences from all tenses! I find it easy to structure my paragraphs evenly in tenses, but if you find a tense a bit easier to talk in, feel free to have more paragraphs in that tense as long as you have all 3 tenses overall. Remember, obviously, to actually pronounce words accurately, as this forms a huge part of the criteria in the mark scheme for speaking. Ask your teacher to listen to you speak through the whole thing once for help, it helps to record yourself too !

Some ways to gain extra marks include:

- Replacing 'ce' or a noun with 'il' or 'elle'. E.g. instead of 'J'aime la biologie parce que c'est intéressante' you would say 'J'aime la biologie parce qu'elle est intéressante'. Be careful with the gender in this one.

- Using negatives, i.e. Instead of 'There is no computers' you could say 'There isn't many computers'

-Using superlatives and exaggeration, words such as 'plutot' or 'surtout' (especially, rather etc)

- (A*) Replacing a place with 'y'. e.g. Instead of "Mon ami habite en France, je vais en france pendant les grands vacances." you could say "Mon ami habite en France, j'y vais pendant les grands vacances."

-(A*) Using idioms; like in English we could use it's raining cats and dogs. NEVER directly translate these from English into French as they are completely different. Instead, do a quick web search for appropriate French idioms. Interesting and easy ones include C'est la vie (but you must use another one in addition to this as it's too common), comme un elephant dans un magasin du porcelaine (means 'like an elephant in a porcelain shop' - comparable to the English one, 'like a bull in a china shop') and others you can easily find online that coincide with your topic.

These are just a few tips that I could think of, hope I could help, even if only a little bit Feel free to contact me for help too !
Mayanne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi !
Easy tip to improve your pronunciation,grammar, and at the same time take a break : watch films in French, first with the (French) subtitles on and then without. As a French person, I would recommend "Intouchables"-one of my favourite films, "La Grand Vadrouille", "Jappeloup" (I have never watched the last two, but all my friends say they're great), also "Ma Première Fois" if you're looking for a sad romantic film; or try watching "Papa est en haut", by Gad Elmaleh (he's the best French stand-up comedian).
Hope this helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (24)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (48)
33.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.79%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (14)
9.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.9%
I think it's an unfair expectation (33)
23.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.1%

Watched Threads