The Student Room Group

What shall I take for a levels? I need a little advice

I have to start choosing my a levels soon as I need to give in my admission forms but I really don't know what to take. I need advice please.
So I'm planning on taking 4 and then dropping one.
I want to take something which will help me in the future and not 'limit me'. I don't know what exactly I want to do but I'm most likely to go into Med/Pharmacy or Law this is why I think I should take a pick from these-

Chemistry (med)
Biology (med)
English lit (law and also because I really enjoy it)
Psychology which seems really interesting and I think I will enjoy it (med)
Law even though I know uni's don't prefer it but then I can see if I like it and should take it at degree level (law obvs)
History which I am good at and enjoy too. (law)

So what would you do? I don't want to limit myself so I am trying to keep my options open but I don't want to overwork myself as the ones above are quite hard. And also I've heard that they are a lot more harder than GCSE's and I wouldn't describe myself as the top student more like the average, high student. I work hard but yh.

Please tell me what you would do? I really need your help.
Thank you :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Need more information here. What do you enjoy? What are you good at? Do you have any idea what you want to do in the future?
Original post by ♥ Z ♥
I have to start choosing my a levels soon as I need to give in my admission forms but I really don't know what to take. I need advice please.
So I'm planning on taking 4

Need to know more, like the user above said ^
Original post by ♥ Z ♥
So I'm planning on taking 4

what career are u interested in taking
Reply 4
Yeah, we'll need more information about your situation. Like, what are your options? Which of those options are you certain you don't want to take? Do you enjoy science? Maths? More arty/creative subjects?
You sound like you don't know what career you want in life, so do what everyone else does.

Pick the easiest ones, go to uni and do a degree in something like "Pop music from 2004-2005" and then when you graduate, complain that there are no jobs available in your field and the government owes you.
Med/pharmacy or law? Very different fields- I think you should choose before you start A levels. However, if you really do want to keep your options open, I would do biology, chemistry, English lit and history.
Reply 7
Original post by ♥ Z ♥
So I'm planning on taking 4 and then dropping one.
I want to take something which will help me in the future and not 'limit me'. I don't know what exactly I want to do but I'm most likely to go into Med/Pharmacy or Law this is why I think I should take a pick from these-

Chemistry (med)
Biology (med)
English lit (law and also because I really enjoy it)
Psychology which seems really interesting and I think I will enjoy it (med)
Law even though I know uni's don't prefer it but then I can see if I like it and should take it at degree level (law obvs)
History which I am good at and enjoy too. (law)

So what would you do? I don't want to limit myself so I am trying to keep my options open but I don't want to overwork myself as the ones above are quite hard. And also I've heard that they are a lot more harder than GCSE's and I wouldn't describe myself as the top student more like the average, high student. I work hard but yh.

Please tell me what you would do? I really need your help.
Thank you :colondollar:

hey
im pretty much in the same situation except that i have made my decisions. i wannna med as well so i chose chemistry which is compulsory if u wanna do med and then biology cuz its a relaxing subject, maths but not further and psychology cu z its interesting
Reply 8
umm well I enjoy English and I would say I'm good at it and I also enjoy history. I kinda enjoy sciences like chem and bio but I do find them a little difficult but I would say that's where I put most effort into. And like I said before I want to go into either medicine/pharmacy or law :confused::s-smilie:
Law takes sciences, but Medicine needs three of them. I would suggest:

Bio
Chem
Phys/Maths
Eng Lit/History

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Do you need to have 3 sciences? and a math?
I hate maths and anything to do with it and I also don't like physics :s
Original post by Obiejess
Law takes sciences, but Medicine needs three of them. I would suggest:

Bio
Chem
Phys/Maths
Eng Lit/History

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine does NOT require 3 sciences, at any uni except Cambridge.
Reply 12
Thank God! and thanks anyways Obiejess, you were helpful:smile: x
Reply 13
definitely go for psychology
Original post by missmay
hey
im pretty much in the same situation except that i have made my decisions. i wannna med as well so i chose chemistry which is compulsory if u wanna do med and then biology cuz its a relaxing subject, maths but not further and psychology cu z its interesting

sorry to disappoint but biology a level is not relaxing lmao:tongue:
I would go for Biology, chemistry, eng lit, and history :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest