reflux Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Can sum1 plz tell me wot reflux means I can't find it anywhere!!
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Reflux is a medical condition in which your oesophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because hydrochloric acid 'backs up' from your stomach which can cause heartburn.

Take a look at http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ref...-8&hl=en&meta= for more information.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Cheers but I was on about the chemical reaction reflux thing! Lol thanks anyway.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Reflux is to do with boiling organic compunds at a high temperature safely and securely so that it can react and form new compunds.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hey katy, you can probe something of mine if you want...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Thanks!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Reflux is about boiling an organic reaction in a vessel with a condenser on top - so that the vapour can't escape and, instead, condenses and returns to the reaction mixture. It's a way of speeding up the reaction without loosing all the stuff or blowing yourself up!!!
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Cheers but I was on about the chemical reaction reflux thing! Lol thanks anyway.
LOL sorry!!!
barbiegrl
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Reflux is about boiling an organic reaction in a vessel with a condenser on top - so that the vapour can't escape and, instead, condenses and returns to the reaction mixture. It's a way of speeding up the reaction without loosing all the stuff or blowing yourself up!!!

this one is the right answer u can use it when converting a primary alcohol into an aldehyde because if you dont reflux it thtn you gets lots of carboxylic acid instead
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
reflux is fully oxidising.
Vishpatel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
continous boiling and evaporation in a closed system
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Reflux rocks! Guarantees you ~5 marks in an organic paper :p:
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by endeavour)
Reflux rocks! Guarantees you ~5 marks in an organic paper :p:
Cheeky!
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Cheeky!
ROFL, that was amazing mate. Let's do it again
charco
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by barbiegrl)

this one is the right answer u can use it when converting a primary alcohol into an aldehyde because if you dont reflux it thtn you gets lots of carboxylic acid instead

Missing a 't' .....

You can't use it to make an aldehyde (alkanal) as it will further oxidise the aldehyde formed which returns to the reaction vessel during the reflux process.

you do use it to make a carboxylic acid from a primary alcohol (and in lots of other organic preparations that involve heating volatile organics that you don't want to escape into the lab)

cheers
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by charco)
Missing a 't' .....

You can't use it to make an aldehyde (alkanal) as it will further oxidise the aldehyde formed which returns to the reaction vessel during the reflux process.

you do use it to make a carboxylic acid from a primary alcohol (and in lots of other organic preparations that involve heating volatile organics that you don't want to escape into the lab)

cheers
Errm I have a feeling barbiegirl wont be reading your reply. That post is over 18 months old:rolleyes:
vinny221
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by charco)
Missing a 't' .....

cheers
You can actually use reflux for forming aldehydes if you mix your acidified potassium dichromate and ethanol for example, reflux and distill off the aldehyde as it forms.
charco
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vinny221)
You can actually use reflux for forming aldehydes if you mix your acidified potassium dichromate and ethanol for example, reflux and distill off the aldehyde as it forms.
if yu distil off it's called distillation not reflux...

reflux is when yu do not allow it to distil off
charco
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Errm I have a feeling barbiegirl wont be reading your reply. That post is over 18 months old:rolleyes:

good shout :embarasse
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.96%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.64%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.64%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.77%

Watched Threads