To what extent do associations dictate our actions Watch

phaedron
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Aside from the raw feels and physical sensations which constitute the self to what extent is our sense of identity just a mass of associations?

How does this figure into the power of the media over our minds?

Can associations be manipulated by the person under their "thrall".

How do subjective associations interact with the baser drives of the id?

By associations I mean the formation of networks of positive and negative connections in the brain joined to a single idea/concept.

Freedom might be associated with anarchism,prison,freedom fighters, guerilla warfare, attack on liberty etc. These associations build up into dense networks and in my opinion are the basis for everything we do. The media taps into this in ways that we've all studied at school at some point. Cigarettes being associated with masculinity and women's lib for example;
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by phaedron)
Aside from the raw feels and physical sensations which constitute the self to what extent is our sense of identity just a mass of associations?

How does this figure into the power of the media over our minds?

Can associations be manipulated by the person under their "thrall".

How do subjective associations interact with the baser drives of the id?

By associations I mean the formation of networks of positive and negative connections in the brain joined to a single idea/concept.

Freedom might be associated with anarchism,prison,freedom fighters, guerilla warfare, attack on liberty etc. These associations build up into dense networks and in my opinion are the basis for everything we do. The media taps into this in ways that we've all studied at school at some point. Cigarettes being associated with masculinity and women's lib for example;
I think everyone is a sum of their experiences and education so whatever people have allowed into their minds will somehow affect their perceptions and behaviors. It's interesting though how two people exposed to the same information/experience can respond to it in very different ways - so I think there is an element of choice as to how we allow the external word to shape our opinions and actions.
phaedron
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
I think everyone is a sum of their experiences and education so whatever people have allowed into their minds will somehow affect their perceptions and behaviors. It's interesting though how two people exposed to the same information/experience can respond to it in very different ways - so I think there is an element of choice as to how we allow the external word to shape our opinions and actions.
I would say that one's neurological machnery dictates how real world events will be processed.
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by phaedron)
I would say that one's neurological machnery dictates how real world events will be processed.
Yes, when it comes down to it, it's all about biological/physiological processes but there has to be some element of free/will choice too or else we're into the territory of Determinism which to me seems a bit too extreme.
coalridge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
Yes, when it comes down to it, it's all about biological/physiological processes but there has to be some element of free/will choice too or else we're into the territory of Determinism which to me seems a bit too extreme.
I'd say we are largely determined but the complexity of the system means there is an element of chance which allows us slight variation to change our course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (40)
50.63%
No (39)
49.37%

Watched Threads