what does your desktop look like? watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by elpaw)
    do you have a massive palmtop or something?
    Or a laptop were the screen has died around the edges?

ReputationRep:
    Not very exciting stuff I'm afraid:

100kb file limit sucks too! I paid my FIVE POUNDS!

ReputationRep:
    this would be my wallpaper if it was the same size and shape as my screen
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    this would be my wallpaper if it was the same size and shape as my screen
    you can crop it to the most important area

ReputationRep:
    Simple, yet strangely effective (for me, anyway...)
    mine:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you can crop it to the most important area
    but her hand's in front of her face

ReputationRep:
    omg what kind of cool monitor have u got?
    I have dual-head card and two monitors, one 19" and one 15" put together; it's very useful. Took me an age to get Linux to co-operate with it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I like the gimp in the background. I couldn't tell what GUI you're running, is it Gnome or KDE?
    I'm using Fluxbox as my window manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    I have dual-head card and two monitors, one 19" and one 15" put together; it's very useful. Took me an age to get Linux to co-operate with it though!
    How is it useful, or is it just the extra space that's useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    How is it useful, or is it just the extra space that's useful?
    Yeah and it's very useful! I can have a document on one monitor and what I'm working on on the other. Don't have to keep flipping between the windows.

ReputationRep:
    I need a dual monitor setup, its a nightmare doing any kind of multimedia authoring with one crappy 17" monitor. You're constantly having to windows just to save space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    but her hand's in front of her face
    i think he was thinking more along these lines
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I had two set up in windows before, its very handy for web design. It was handy for MSN aswell, you can have your message windows on one screen and do your other stuff on the other.

Have you got one monitor on top of the other?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and it's very useful! I can have a document on one monitor and what I'm working on on the other. Don't have to keep flipping between the windows.
    Impressive, if you can manage it. Personally the effort and technicalities (not to mention the costs) aren't appealing.

ReputationRep:
    do u need 2 graphics cards to do it? i've got a spare 15 inch in the coupboard and spare space on this desk. i'm seriously considering buying a cheap mx 2 card or something if thats all it will take

ReputationRep:
    Monitors are dirt cheap you can get good second hand pure flat CRT 17" monitors for £50 each.

You either need a dual video card or two seperate ones. People tend to use a crappy cheap £5 thing for the second video card.

ReputationRep:
    do you keep your PC at Imperial all year round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Monitors are dirt cheap you can get good second hand pure flat CRT 17" monitors for £50 each.

You either need a dual video card or two seperate ones. People tend to use a crappy cheap £5 thing for the second video card.
    do u need any special software - i know there's an nvidea thing called n-view which has a dual monitor thing so i was thinking it would be good to get a geforce card.

ReputationRep:
    do u need any special software - i know there's an nvidea thing called n-view which has a dual monitor thing so i was thinking it would be good to get a geforce card.
    windows does it . Easy

display properties> settings > extend my windows desktop

ReputationRep:
    No you can setup it up from windows in the display settings properities, you need two graphics card for the option to be displayed.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.