The Student Room Group

What are good topic ideas for Ib written task?

My topic has to be related to Language in Cultural Context. Also I'm in English 2 HL.
Reply 1
Original post by ursula28
My topic has to be related to Language in Cultural Context. Also I'm in English 2 HL.

Do you mean where you can compare it? if so maybe focus on idioms or dialects in a country i.e. UK with so many and how this affects how we interpret words differently/ associate different connotations? :smile:
Hey friend, Ideas from my class:
1- How does the language and the characters in Disney movies affect children? (language and power)
2- How gender stereotypes still exist and what is the language used? (Language and gender)
3- How some texts lose the actual meaning when translated? (Language in context)
4- How does the language used present power? (Language and power) we talked about how some religious people use language to convince some people to do something. Also talked about Hitler.
5- How does a specific language present your identity? (Language and identity) we talked about how some people present theirselves (or are viewed) differently when speaking in different languages.
6- how women are portrayed in media and we kind of compared women in Arab media vs woman in western media (language and gender)
I hope this helped and I still have some but can't remember them so if you can any questions just pm me. Have a good day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey friend, Ideas from my class:
1- How does the language and the characters in Disney movies affect children? (language and power)
2- How gender stereotypes still exist and what is the language used? (Language and gender)
3- How some texts lose the actual meaning when translated? (Language in context)
4- How does the language used present power? (Language and power) we talked about how some religious people use language to convince some people to do something. Also talked about Hitler.
5- How does a specific language present your identity? (Language and identity) we talked about how some people present theirselves (or are viewed) differently when speaking in different languages.
6- how women are portrayed in media and we kind of compared women in Arab media vs woman in western media (language and gender)
I hope this helped and I still have some but can't remember them so if you can any questions just pm me. Have a good day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ursula28

Need any more help? I might be able to do that, but you haven't said much about what aspects interest you and which topic you chose in the end.
I need help. I was thinking about the manipulation of advertising nowadays and it's effects in the society but I'm not sure how to go about it. My teacher said that it was too broad and I need to be more specific but what topic can I talk about.
Yep -- waaay too broad. You have to be specific about advertising. The best thing to do is look at a particular ad and discuss this analytically. I'll PM if I get more ideas.... Just make sure that you are able to analyse the ad and do a good job of this.

Spoiler

Original post by Shadesofgrey
Yep -- waaay too broad. You have to be specific about advertising. The best thing to do is look at a particular ad and discuss this analytically. I'll PM if I get more ideas.... Just make sure that you are able to analyse the ad and do a good job of this.

Quick Reply