Is smoking the occasional cigarette bad for me ? Watch

Jahe
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know it sounds like a stupid question but I was wondering. I'm a 19 year old lad who has recently started smoking again. I don't really want to quit completely because I love smoking but I know it's bad for my health and wallet. If I smoked just 1 or 2 cigarettes a day would I still be damaging my health in the same way I would be if I smoked 20 a day ?
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, how long will "1 or 2 a day" last though. Soon you'll be saying "10 a day won't hurt, will it?" then "40 a day won't hurt, will it?", and then you'll be dead.

I don't know if you have heard this, but they do say that cigarettes are extremely addictive.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I smoke 1 or 2 a day and I'll be disappointed if I don't live til at least 60.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it's like saying "i only punch my head twice a day... is that seriously going to give me brain damage ?"

well the answer is yes.
Lil08
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Every cigarette you smoke is harmful. There's a strong correlation between smoking and coronary heart diseases. If you are a long-term smoker, on average, your life expectancy is about 10 years less than a non-smoker. Put another way, in the UK about 8 in 10 non-smokers live past the age of 70, but only about half of long-term smokers live past 70. The younger you are when you start smoking, the more likely you are to smoke for longer and to die early from smoking.
TroyAndAbed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lil08)
Every cigarette you smoke is harmful. There's a strong correlation between smoking and coronary heart diseases. If you are a long-term smoker, on average, your life expectancy is about 10 years less than a non-smoker. Put another way, in the UK about 8 in 10 non-smokers live past the age of 70, but only about half of long-term smokers live past 70. The younger you are when you start smoking, the more likely you are to smoke for longer and to die early from smoking.
Wow, my grandma has been smoking since she was 15 and is over 70 so she's pretty lucky. Now that she's over 70 she says she can't be bothered to try and quit because she'll be dead soon anyway.
Lil08
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TroyAndAbed)
Wow, my grandma has been smoking since she was 15 and is over 70 so she's pretty lucky. Now that she's over 70 she says she can't be bothered to try and quit because she'll be dead soon anyway.
Smoking is a risk factor for many diseases. It means that, on average, people who smoke are more likely to develop vascular, cancer and respiratory diseases than those who avoid smoking.

However, a study shows that even if you were to ignore all the deaths caused by smoking before the age of 70, older smokers still do considerably worse than older non-smokers, losing a considerable amount of subsequent lifespan.

Quitting is beneficial at any age and it really is never too late to stop.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
I smoke 1 or 2 a day and I'll be disappointed if I don't live til at least 60.
well thanks for disproving my ill-informed thesis. How very rude
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cole-slaw)
well thanks for disproving my ill-informed thesis. How very rude
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes its bad for you, though obviously not as bad as if you smoked more.

as cole slaw said though, how long will it stay at just one or two a day.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
I love Black Books :rofl:
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You go right ahead. I watched one of my relatives take over two years to die from smoking related cancer. For two years they were house bound,just sitting in an armchair watching TV and seeing the world go by out of the window. The reason why they couldnt move was because their very tenuous existence relied on being almost permanently hooked up to a big bottle of O2 because their lungs were so shot that they generally couldnt process enough O2 out of the air around them so needed it fed live to them.

As a COPD sufferer as well (another smokers disease), they would occasionally suffer bouts of pulmonary oedema..effectively your tissues become waterlogged and you are in danger of slowly drowning from within. They whip you into hospital and pump you full of diuretics to get rid of it until next time..

Not quite the healthy life of the Marlboro man eh..and look what happened to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJD0Id0rqww
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only fools smoke cigarettes, no will power at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.28%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.9%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.12%
No, I chose not to (166)
29.07%