swyles17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can anybody who studies criminology tell me what the course is like? Is it boring? Difficult? Interesting?

I am not bothered if it is difficult as I don't mind hard work, but I'm worried that I will find it boring as I don't enjoy my current sociology work (crime and deviance). Can anyone help?! I'm looking at going to Derby or Nottingham
Dylank
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't actually do Criminology at University, but I do criminology in psychology at a2 and I guess it would be more science based and practical than essay writing I really enjoy it but it's more towards wy criminals do what they do and the thoughts behind it.
EloiseStar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by swyles17)
Can anybody who studies criminology tell me what the course is like? Is it boring? Difficult? Interesting?

I am not bothered if it is difficult as I don't mind hard work, but I'm worried that I will find it boring as I don't enjoy my current sociology work (crime and deviance). Can anyone help?! I'm looking at going to Derby or Nottingham
Its interesting, a lot of theory. It's most like sociology at A-Level, with theories and such.

Different courses have different modules but my course is primarily theory. There's little science (unless you count bio-social theories), so maybe you should look for different courses if you don't enjoy sociology, maybe a BSC Psychology course with a lot of forensic psychology modules or maybe a forensic psychology course?

A large component of criminology is sociology as it is the 'mother discipline'.
swyles17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you for the advice I really enjoyed the family module of sociology at As but this year I really dislike sociology :mad: I'm eight weeks into my term and the student teacher we have has only done research methods with us and no actual crime and deviance. I guess I'll have to have a think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (66)
4.61%
Uncertainty around my education (221)
15.43%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (155)
10.82%
Lack of purpose or motivation (204)
14.25%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (62)
4.33%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (83)
5.8%
Loneliness (128)
8.94%
Financial worries (49)
3.42%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (65)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (68)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (74)
5.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (124)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (133)
9.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed