Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I'm going to start a French & Russian degree in October, I thought I'd ask, having seen a few posts saying that employers tend to disregard them. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I think they are very highly respected - and open up a lot of doors in exciting careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I think they are very highly respected - and open up a lot of doors in exciting careers.
    I'd agree. Language skills are very sought after my employers and if you can pursue learning them to fluency, which is what you achieve at uni, you'll have a great advantage. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cacambo)
    Seeing as I'm going to start a French & Russian degree in October, I thought I'd ask, having seen a few posts saying that employers tend to disregard them. Any thoughts?
    I think they're an excellent degree to have.

ReputationRep:
    like me, i am blingual. Chinese and English fluent
    So if i take chinese as foreign language in Uni, do you think any employers will say excellent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    like me, i am blingual. Chinese and English fluent
    So if i take chinese as foreign language in Uni, do you think any employers will say excellent?
    In your case I would avoid a chinese degree; do something more useful.

ReputationRep:
    If you're planning on doing a law conversion it'll be great.

ReputationRep:
    i hope tehy're repected otherwise i've jsut landed myself in a serious ammount of debt for nothing

seriously depends on the university. There are some places that are jsut pants and you won't come out fluent but any of the russel group uni's are respected for languages.

Also although everyone thinks they're dossy I think languages are the least dossy arts subject. Eg history at my uni gets 4 hours a week, i get 16. Also as part of my degree i ahve to do history and literature. So i'm virtually doing a history and literature degree aswell as languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    In your case I would avoid a chinese degree; do something more useful.
    Ha ha ha...too correct! And don't do oriental studies at oxbridge either...

ReputationRep:
    I did langs at uni and am now out in the world of work. I've always found that people are impressed by langs. Usual comment: "wow, I was rubbish at French at school. Are you really fluent?"

In any case, it certainly hasn't harmed my job prospects. Language graduates also tend to be quite sociable and personable, which is looked on favourably by employers. International experience from year abroad can also be used as an answer for almost any tricky interview question!

The thing I would say is start researching early on what you want to do post uni, lest you get caught at the last minute (like moi and most of my peers).

Typical scenario:

Me: I don't know what I want to do when I leave here, and now I am a finalist. Argh!

Careers Advisor: Have you done any work experience?

Me: My year abroad teaching and some office temping work.

Careers Advisor: Ah, I see. Hmm. Have you thought about Teaching or doing a law conversion? You've missed most of the milk round deadlines.

Me: Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggg gggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! :confused:
    Get researching into what kind of careers are open to you/you are interested in and start applying for vac schemes and work experience. It will give you a head start in three-four years time when you are a finalist.

Lizzylou
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    seriously depends on the university. There are some places that are jsut pants and you won't come out fluent but any of the russel group uni's are respected for languages.
    What are the russel group uni's? I'm planning on doing French at uni, and would like to go to the best place I can get into!

ReputationRep:
    Language degree often have a lot of literature in them, and, if my friend's language degrees are anything to go by, its basically an English Literature degree but in a foreign language and so, yes, they are very respected - languages are very desirable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    What are the russel group uni's? I'm planning on doing French at uni, and would like to go to the best place I can get into!
    Ive heard Aberdeen is the best in the country for French - not sure though. Check out "The Times University Polls"

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham
    Bristol
    Cambridge
    Cardiff
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Imperial
    KCL
    Leeds
    Liverpool
    LSE
    Manchester
    Newcastle
    Nottingham
    Oxford
    Sheffield
    Southampton
    UCL
    Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am applying to Bham and Liverpool, so that's alright then! I also would like to go to Sussex, but they don't do the degree I want to do

Liverpool is my top choice at the moment, but I haven't yet been to an open day, nor have I ever been to Liverpool city itself! Hope it is as good as it's made out to be, otherwise I will be mighty dissapointed!

ReputationRep:
    I know that I respect it - it can be very difficult to learn some of those languages and whats more important than being able to communicate with other people?

Liverpool is my top choice at the moment, but I haven't yet been to an open day, nor have I ever been to Liverpool city itself! Hope it is as good as it's made out to be, otherwise I will be mighty dissapointed!
    I think Liverpool is a great city

and in my opinion language degrees are quite respected. My cousin has just finished one and is off to live in South America now to work for an american company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cacambo)
    Nah, that's a load of rubbish, a language degree is a great one to have. Foreign language graduates have the lowest unemployment rates of all arts graduates. Less and less people are doing them as well so you'll stand out. And when you leave uni, you'll be fluent in three languages! How many Brits do you know who can say that? Most people I know can only speak one!

ReputationRep:

Liverpool is great- French dept is pretty good from what i hear. brillaint city for students

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting French and Russian at Notts next month, have no idea what I want to to afterwards though.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 22, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.