The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
etomac
like me, i am blingual. Chinese and English fluent
So if i take chinese as foreign language in Uni, do you think any employers will say excellent?

Actually china is one of the most rapidly growing econonomic states i'm led to believe and chinese will be valuable in industry.
Reply 21
ThunderCat8
Well, I am applying to Bham and Liverpool, so that's alright then! I also would like to go to Sussex, but they don't do the degree I want to do :frown:

Liverpool is my top choice at the moment, but I haven't yet been to an open day, nor have I ever been to Liverpool city itself! Hope it is as good as it's made out to be, otherwise I will be mighty dissapointed!

Liverpool is a great city so you wont be disappointed! I movd here 4 years ago from Bucks and wouldnt consider moving now
Reply 22
dont forget Aston. Aston is amazing for German. Though yeh crappy area n not too great a Uni, but typical offer is B in German and 2 Cs. so if u wanna do german n arent SO good at other things then consider Aston.
I chose Leeds btw. most joint hons language students. most applicants full stop. huge range.
i chose to do german with politics as i felt doing politics made the degree more interesting (im told u can get bored doin all on one language), u still end up fluent, but u look more balanced.
Reply 23
Cacambo
Seeing as I'm going to start a French & Russian degree in October, I thought I'd ask, having seen a few posts saying that employers tend to disregard them. Any thoughts?

thats bollocks. these days with the world connected in ways that were never possible before, language is more essential than ever. in the old days, one just needed to read and write. then next came simple maths. these three key skills were needed in any good job. now knowing a language has been added to that. if u can speak another language, u will have an advantage over other employees when going for a job.
I think being fluent in at least one other language than your mother tongue(s) is highly impressive. Full stop.
Reply 25
from what i've been reading in a (granted slightly outdated) book on the german language, german is probaby more useful to know, as fewer people use it in official situations, e.g in the EU and the UN, therefore more translators are required.

Latest

Trending

Trending