The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot Qualifications

Hi,

I really would love to become an RAF Pilot but here is my problem...

I have the A Level requirements, but no GCSEs. Is there a quicker way to go around getting these GCSEs or am I being too hopeful for an easy solution? It just seems ridiculous that the thing stopping me is GCSEs, when I have two much higher qualifications!

Many thanks!
You need the qualifications. It's the very basic entry criteria.
Reply 2
A levels are not "much higher" at all, they are merely the next rung up the ladder.

If you had a degree then they have been known to, on a case by case basis, waive some academic requirements.

But if you only have A levels then you must have GCSEs to even have a chance of getting your foot in the door.
Reply 3
Thank you both.

I have been looking at a degree, what subject would be my best option? I have previously studied Engineering but as I understand it would be best to shift the subject a bit?

Totally open to suggestions, was thinking Mathematic Sciences.
Original post by Marshiewoo

There's no advantage in shifting the subject at all. There is no degree subject requirement for pilot. Take the degree that will set you up best for your alternate career choice, should you not make it as a pilot. You need the GCSEs though.
Reply 5
Thanks!

I've already enrolled to take GCSEs, did that as soon as I realised it was a requirement, no point messing about.

The reason I thought it was important to shift the subject around, is because of the RAF qualification equivalent pdf guide, which says (as I understand it) you are only allowed one qualification from each A-Level and GCSE subject?

Either way, I think Mathematical Sciences can tie in with Engineering really well?

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Marshiewoo
Thanks!

I've already enrolled to take GCSEs, did that as soon as I realised it was a requirement, no point messing about.

The reason I thought it was important to shift the subject around, is because of the RAF qualification equivalent pdf guide, which says (as I understand it) you are only allowed one qualification from each A-Level and GCSE subject?

Either way, I think Mathematical Sciences can tie in with Engineering really well?

Thanks

That means you can't have 3 GCSEs in one subject at a passing grade making up part of your 5 in total. Maths at GCSE and at A level is perfectly acceptable.
Reply 7
Thank you, I have 2 A-Levels, one is Manufacturing, the other is Mechanical Engineering, is that acceptable? :colondollar:

Appreciate it.
Not without at least a C in GCSE Maths and English. Selection for pilot has gone from exceptionally competitive to ridiculously competitive these days (although is now better than the previous 3 years, when it didn't exist), so if you don't meet the minimum requirements there will be little/no interest.

As a recruiter (which I'm not at the moment) my first question (or one of them) would be why don't you have GCSEs?

Quick Reply

Latest