Revision - Eng Lit HELP!

Watch
h_sw
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What is the best way to learn content for english literature gcse?
I am aiming for an a* ideally but the quotes never seem to stay in my head - studying of mice and men, an inspector calls and heroes.
did anybody else have this problem and if so how did you deal with it???
also, how many quotes should i learn to be within a good chance of getting a high mark? thank you
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by h_sw)
I am aiming for an a* ideally but the quotes never seem to stay in my head - studying of mice and men, an inspector calls and heroes.
also, how many quotes should i learn to be within a good chance of getting a high mark? thank you
Surely the books are given to you in the exam? When I did my exams I was given a copy of both Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls as standard?
Clytaemnestra
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You should get a clean copy of the texts in the exam certainly when I was doing GCSE English Lit we did it might save you time though in the exam if you can remember a few quotes off the top of your head, try mind maps or if you want revision guides I'd say York Notes are a good bet, they definitely have them for Of Mice and Men. I got A in English Lang and A in English Lit, so something must've clicked for me, as like you I was worried about getting quotes down. If you're allowed a scrap of paper in the exam write down the quotes you remember so it's less pressure on you when you're writing, if not, write 'plan' on a page of your answer book/lined paper and write the quotes down there, you may even pick up one or two marks for doing that in the real thing, so that if you run out of time the examiner can see what you would have included had you had more time.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
amelimoo
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by h_sw)
Learn say 3 for every character, theme and setting and then some generic quotes that can be used for everything. We used to play a game and throw a ball to each other and shout a quote and play one knee two knee reciting quotes and chapter summaries.
bluenose_maz
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by h_sw)
What I find really useful is firstly decide what theme etc you are going to look at. Your teachers should be able to tell you what questions/themes are likely to crop up in the exam. Based on this decide how you are going to use each book to address that particular question/theme. Once you have done this write out (don't type) but hand write out an answer using quotations from the book. Do this at least once, and maybe even write out the quotes more than once. I find that writing things out really helps them to stick in my mind. Also if you do this then you will have an answer ready for when you come to the actual exam and you will basically know in your head what it is that you are going to say!

I had trouble with exams until I came to university and then I started writing everything out and it really stuck in my head and I ended up being pretty good at exams! Another thing that helps me is to use different colors for different things, so for example for each new quote use a different color or for each theme use a different color and then all the quote relating to the theme are the same color as the theme etc.

Hope my answer wasn't too long winded and hope it helps
NannyMcphee
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hello,
I am currently studying the poem 'The rime of the Ancient Mariner' and I have to produce a homework task on how the author represents the Mariner as having weaknesses and flaws. I was just wondering if you guys could help me to pick out any quotes that would describe the Mariner's impulsiveness?

If you guys need any questions answering, please private message me and I will get back to you

Thanks Image
h_sw
Rep:
(Original post by bluenose_maz)
What I find really useful is firstly decide what theme etc you are going to look at. Your teachers should be able to tell you what questions/themes are likely to crop up in the exam. Based on this decide how you are going to use each book to address that particular question/theme. Once you have done this write out (don't type) but hand write out an answer using quotations from the book. Do this at least once, and maybe even write out the quotes more than once. I find that writing things out really helps them to stick in my mind. Also if you do this then you will have an answer ready for when you come to the actual exam and you will basically know in your head what it is that you are going to say!

I had trouble with exams until I came to university and then I started writing everything out and it really stuck in my head and I ended up being pretty good at exams! Another thing that helps me is to use different colors for different things, so for example for each new quote use a different color or for each theme use a different color and then all the quote relating to the theme are the same color as the theme etc.

Hope my answer wasn't too long winded and hope it helps
thank you, your answer certainly wasnt too long winded, love the idea of colour coding
h_sw
Rep:
(Original post by Clytaemnestra)
You should get a clean copy of the texts in the exam certainly when I was doing GCSE English Lit we did it might save you time though in the exam if you can remember a few quotes off the top of your head, try mind maps or if you want revision guides I'd say York Notes are a good bet, they definitely have them for Of Mice and Men. I got A in English Lang and A in English Lit, so something must've clicked for me, as like you I was worried about getting quotes down. If you're allowed a scrap of paper in the exam write down the quotes you remember so it's less pressure on you when you're writing, if not, write 'plan' on a page of your answer book/lined paper and write the quotes down there, you may even pick up one or two marks for doing that in the real thing, so that if you run out of time the examiner can see what you would have included had you had more time.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks, ive got plenty of time till the exam so hopefully everything will be okay. unfortunately we dont get copies of the text - something that reallyyyyy annoyed me when i found out - kinda stressing now...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads