Are you going to vote in the next general election? Watch

Poll: Are you going to vote in the next general election?
Yes (27)
62.79%
No (7)
16.28%
Not sure yet (4)
9.3%
I can't (yet) (5)
11.63%
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Are you going to vote in the next general election? Some people I know say that they're not going to bother. The reasons they give are that they feel that none of the parties represent them, or that with the voting system we have, it's pointless, as the same two parties get in anyway.

I don't think that the second reason is a good one, because the more people who vote for the smaller parties, the more of a chance smaller parties have to get elected. Still, it's a personal choice.
miser
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I might vote. I'm undecided. There isn't a Green candidate in my area so I'd have to vote Liberal Democrat or something.

On the one hand I kind of feel it's good for citizens to vote, so according to that I should vote, but on the other I don't believe individuals' votes make a difference and I'm in a safe Tory area.

It probably depends on how I feel on the day.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I will definitely be voting. I don't think apathy towards politics solves anything and I would say that if you don't vote when given the opportunity, to a large extent you sacrifice your right to complain. The amount of votes lost to apathy could actually change the result of an election. There was a 65% turnout to the 2010 General Election; imagine how that remaining 35% might have been able to change things. We would almost certainly have not ended up in this coalition if the turnout was larger.

Nothing will ever change if you yourself do nothing to contribute towards change.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Won't make much of a difference where I live in UK whether I vote or not, it is a Conservative stronghold and will always be due to the demographics.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I think people who don't vote get what they deserve.

Only small tax variances sadly for low earners but Labour appear to be the worst of the 4 parties in that regard wanting a 10% rate rather than an increased tax threshold. As I'll be getting tax credits though this turns the tables somewhat as my self interest will be served best by them increasing albeit ideologically I support them being frozen.

Still, Cameron over Miliband seals the deal on its own.
s.a.u
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. None of the parties currently represent my values (the Liberal Democrats are perhaps the closest), and FPTP does make my vote essentially useless. My home constituency is a Tory stronghold, so, inconsequential. If I do end up voting, it will be for the Lib Dems, just for symbolic reasons.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To the people saying no, I wonder if you'd turn out at least for your local elections where less people voting means you have a bigger impact.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I feel that I have a duty to. However my vote will be a waste of time as the area I live in would elect a pygmy hippo if Labour put one forward as a candidate.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Yes, I think people who don't vote get what they deserve.
Why is that?

I probably won't be voting because there is no party I support enough to feel OK voting for them. Not all non-voters are non-voters because of laziness, I would bet good money that at least half of them are not.

If there is no party I am able to support in that way, then I'm not going to vote, it's as simple as that. Voting for a party you don't support just for the sake of voting is a stupid thing to do.
cuppa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I live in the UKIP land--Yarmouth area constituency, before you ask--so my vote will probably do very little for other parties I may want to vote for. But I'll go for it anyway.
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
I feel that I have a duty to. However my vote will be a waste of time as the area I live in would elect a pygmy hippo if Labour put one forward as a candidate.
My hometown is in one of the safest Conservative seats in the country. Been Conservative for decades. It's William Hague's seat. He's retiring but whoever the Conservatives put forward as a candidate will probably win with a very strong majority.

I'm at university now though.
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by s.a.u)
No. None of the parties currently represent my values (the Liberal Democrats are perhaps the closest), and FPTP does make my vote essentially useless. My home constituency is a Tory stronghold, so, inconsequential. If I do end up voting, it will be for the Lib Dems, just for symbolic reasons.
Even if you don't like the Fptp system and your vote won't impact the actual results, you should still vote. The more people who just vote for whichever person they want to will simply highlight more of the problems of the system - it will lead to victories in individual constituencies by smaller margins and the largest party will likely get a much smaller share of the vote. So in turn this would open up the debate for other voting systems.

The worst thing someone who wants a change to our voting system can do is not vote, especially if their vote won't affect the result. We can only go on the data we get from how people do vote and can't second guess what those who didn't vote would have done.

So please, do make sure you go out there and vote next year, regardless of the situation in your own constituencies. It could still have an impact on the national picture and the debates which always follow an election.
insert-username
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll probably vote for the sake of it, but there really isn't any party i'm interested in voting for.
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most certainly.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Technically yes.

I'll spoil my ballot since there are no parties that reflect my views.
andrew2209
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes.

I don't consider any of the parties perfect, and I know some of them won't win in my constiutency, but by making a vote, I can make my opinion heard.
Torum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RK)
Even if you don't like the Fptp system and your vote won't impact the actual results, you should still vote. The more people who just vote for whichever person they want to will simply highlight more of the problems of the system - it will lead to victories in individual constituencies by smaller margins and the largest party will likely get a much smaller share of the vote. So in turn this would open up the debate for other voting systems.

The worst thing someone who wants a change to our voting system can do is not vote, especially if their vote won't affect the result. We can only go on the data we get from how people do vote and can't second guess what those who didn't vote would have done.

So please, do make sure you go out there and vote next year, regardless of the situation in your own constituencies. It could still have an impact on the national picture and the debates which always follow an election.
This.

And if you don't vote you can't complain about the people who got into power seeing as you did nothing about it when you had your only proper chance to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.06%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.43%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (51)
20.48%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (31)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (74)
29.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed