The Student Room Group

I think I made a mistake with my course

Yeah, so I applied for uni last year, and I got accepted and began studying my course in September. Now, I choose Computer Science as my chosen degree, and I did a fair bit of research into what could possibly come after graduating with a degree in CS, although I did not spend enough time looking into what the degree would actually entail, and I think I have made a big mistake.

I am 8 weeks into the course, and already I can see that this is not right for me. There are 5 modules, which are;

Algorithms and Data Structures:

Which is quite difficult and boring, it's allot different than how I imagined it being, and I do not enjoy it one bit, although I can see the importance of it within this degree as it progresses, which leads onto the next module:

Mathematics for Computing
I have a maths exam on Friday. Yeah, 7 weeks in I have a maths exam. I knew there would be some maths, but I massively underestimated how much maths there would be. I do not hate maths, but I do not enjoy it either (I used to back in school, but times have changed or I do not seem to enjoy it like I used to) And things are only going to get more difficult as we get further in, which I am dreading allot.

Java Programming
I am 50/50 about Java, I knew what to expect with this module, and it is not overly-difficult but I am enjoying it allot less than I thought I would be.

Systems Design and Databases
I do not enjoy this module much either, I like it more than the maths and algorithms, but I cannot see myself enjoying it enough to want to study it for another 3 years.

Computer Systems
I really enjoy this one, it’s fascinating and better than I thought it would be, but surely 1/5 is not enough to justify 3 years of study?

The more I think about how little I am enjoying the course, the less motivated I become to actually do the work, it’s actually quite depressing. Outside of Uni, I have a passion for Politics, but I never thought that I would be able to get a good job if I studied it at uni, which is why I choose to study CS, Instead of following my heart, I followed my head ( I do enjoy Computing, but I wish I chose a less technically orientated one, I feel like I do not have any creative freedom at all, no ways of expressing opinions, rather this course is more suited to people with less personality, if that makes any since. )

Instead, I wish that I had followed my heart and chose to study Politics, or some variant of it (Like Politics with Sociology, or Politics with History) Because since I started this course I have spent far more time looking into these degrees than I ever did before I started CS.

I have done allot of research into what the courses I wish I had studied entail, into each module and what each of them entail too, not just a blanket subject research and research into the possible job opportunities at the end, like I did for CS.

I know CS and Politics seem massively different, and you might be questioning my logic in choosing CS instead of Politics, it’s because I was too bothered about what Jobs I could get at the end, I spent too little time looking into the specifics of the course, something I massively regret doing now.

I am passionate about Politics, I am a member of a youth party, and keen on progressing within it, I am not here to talk about my political views or opinions though, rather I am here to ask some questions;

1. Should I finish my first year, or drop out before January (That’s when the second instalments of loans are paid, and I want as little money to pay back as possible of course.)

2. What happens with my student loan? Will I be eligible for another loan next year if I drop out? What would I have to pay back and when?

3. I know I would have to go through UCAS again, but would other universities consider me when they see I have been studying an unrelated field, and they see that I have dropped out of a previous course

4. What would you do in my position? I don’t think I can study this course for another 3 years, I enjoy it too little, and I am not passionate enough about it to do so

I really don’t know what to do, what the next step I should take should be. I made a huge mistake choosing this course, and the fact the uni I am at does not offer a degree in the course that I really want to do does not help with the situation, I literally don’t know what to do.

I am hoping someone who has changed course and uni could tell me about what happens with finances, and just generally get any advice possible to help me out in my situation. I am sorry for such a large post, but I thought it’s best if explain my situation fully to hopefully get the best answers.

Thanks to all who read and reply, I look forward to reading any responses
Jack.
Original post by JackT087
Yeah, so I applied for uni last year, and I got accepted and began studying my course in September. Now, I choose Computer Science as my chosen degree, and I did a fair bit of research into what could possibly come after graduating with a degree in CS, although I did not spend enough time looking into what the degree would actually entail, and I think I have made a big mistake.

I am 8 weeks into the course, and already I can see that this is not right for me. There are 5 modules, which are;

Algorithms and Data Structures:

Which is quite difficult and boring, it's allot different than how I imagined it being, and I do not enjoy it one bit, although I can see the importance of it within this degree as it progresses, which leads onto the next module:

Mathematics for Computing
I have a maths exam on Friday. Yeah, 7 weeks in I have a maths exam. I knew there would be some maths, but I massively underestimated how much maths there would be. I do not hate maths, but I do not enjoy it either (I used to back in school, but times have changed or I do not seem to enjoy it like I used to) And things are only going to get more difficult as we get further in, which I am dreading allot.

Java Programming
I am 50/50 about Java, I knew what to expect with this module, and it is not overly-difficult but I am enjoying it allot less than I thought I would be.

Systems Design and Databases
I do not enjoy this module much either, I like it more than the maths and algorithms, but I cannot see myself enjoying it enough to want to study it for another 3 years.

Computer Systems
I really enjoy this one, it’s fascinating and better than I thought it would be, but surely 1/5 is not enough to justify 3 years of study?

The more I think about how little I am enjoying the course, the less motivated I become to actually do the work, it’s actually quite depressing. Outside of Uni, I have a passion for Politics, but I never thought that I would be able to get a good job if I studied it at uni, which is why I choose to study CS, Instead of following my heart, I followed my head ( I do enjoy Computing, but I wish I chose a less technically orientated one, I feel like I do not have any creative freedom at all, no ways of expressing opinions, rather this course is more suited to people with less personality, if that makes any since. )

Instead, I wish that I had followed my heart and chose to study Politics, or some variant of it (Like Politics with Sociology, or Politics with History) Because since I started this course I have spent far more time looking into these degrees than I ever did before I started CS.

I have done allot of research into what the courses I wish I had studied entail, into each module and what each of them entail too, not just a blanket subject research and research into the possible job opportunities at the end, like I did for CS.

I know CS and Politics seem massively different, and you might be questioning my logic in choosing CS instead of Politics, it’s because I was too bothered about what Jobs I could get at the end, I spent too little time looking into the specifics of the course, something I massively regret doing now.

I am passionate about Politics, I am a member of a youth party, and keen on progressing within it, I am not here to talk about my political views or opinions though, rather I am here to ask some questions;

1. Should I finish my first year, or drop out before January (That’s when the second instalments of loans are paid, and I want as little money to pay back as possible of course.)

2. What happens with my student loan? Will I be eligible for another loan next year if I drop out? What would I have to pay back and when?

3. I know I would have to go through UCAS again, but would other universities consider me when they see I have been studying an unrelated field, and they see that I have dropped out of a previous course

4. What would you do in my position? I don’t think I can study this course for another 3 years, I enjoy it too little, and I am not passionate enough about it to do so

I really don’t know what to do, what the next step I should take should be. I made a huge mistake choosing this course, and the fact the uni I am at does not offer a degree in the course that I really want to do does not help with the situation, I literally don’t know what to do.

I am hoping someone who has changed course and uni could tell me about what happens with finances, and just generally get any advice possible to help me out in my situation. I am sorry for such a large post, but I thought it’s best if explain my situation fully to hopefully get the best answers.

Thanks to all who read and reply, I look forward to reading any responses
Jack.

1. This is up to you. It mainly depends on what you could do if you were to drop out before January-if you have a job to go into, plan on claiming benefits until you find work, have parents/money to fall back on if you can't find a job then you could drop out instead of taking out loans that you'll eventually have to pay back, but you will probably have to wait until a date in December to drop out, otherwise you'll be expected to pay back any grants you've had for this first term.

2. You're eligible for funding for another course, yes. They allow one year extra funding in case of problems like these. You just pay back your loans when you're in work after graduating (or, if you don't go back to university, whenever you start earning over the threshold amount).

3. Yes, they would. This kind of thing often happens. In my experience they're pleased to have you when they know you've put some serious thought into what you want to study-better to drop out of your first course than change your mind/drop out of their course.

4. In your position I would drop out and apply again (or ask my current university about the possibility of changing to another course).
Reply 2
I dropped out of my uni course. It was probably one of the best decisions I've made. I think, that you only have one life, and you should spend it doing things you enjoy. (as much as possible :wink:) I am also applying again through ucas, and I simply wrote in my statement that I found the previous course not to be for me, and that I want to study something I am truly passionate about.
Reply 3
Thanks for the responces so far guys :smile:
Reply 4
Still debating on what to do.... Decisions decisions :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending