The Student Room Group

English Literature Essay AQA B (AS)

So I'm trying to write my english lit coursework which is an essay on A Midsummer Night's Dream debating whether Oberon and Titania fail to fulfil the audience's expectations of comic characters or not. I got my first draft back today and the comment were generally positive but it got graded an A/B which is really frustrating because I want a high A and it's unclear what grade I've actually got. The teacher told me to make a final point about how Oberon's efforts to 'torment' Titania are thwarted by his own mistakes and he soon releases Titania so they can be united by the end.
I'm not sure how this will improve the grade but I guess I'll do it anyway.
Basically what I'm asking is any techniques/ tips etc of things I should include, the way I should structure it, points I should make, how to fulfil the AO's etc to get a good grade. Thanks so much!

Tl;dr
How can I get a high A in my Midsummer's coursework?
Original post by Qaiys
So I'm trying to write my english lit coursework which is an essay on A Midsummer Night's Dream debating whether Oberon and Titania fail to fulfil the audience's expectations of comic characters or not. I got my first draft back today and the comment were generally positive but it got graded an A/B which is really frustrating because I want a high A and it's unclear what grade I've actually got. The teacher told me to make a final point about how Oberon's efforts to 'torment' Titania are thwarted by his own mistakes and he soon releases Titania so they can be united by the end.
I'm not sure how this will improve the grade but I guess I'll do it anyway.
Basically what I'm asking is any techniques/ tips etc of things I should include, the way I should structure it, points I should make, how to fulfil the AO's etc to get a good grade. Thanks so much!

Tl;dr
How can I get a high A in my Midsummer's coursework?

Some encouragement: I got a D (my first and only D ever) in my A2 English literature coursework and got a high A in the end. I'd basically tried new things in my essay, abandoned my natural voice, and in the end when I just rewrote in naturally I got the higher mark. You're almost there (generally teachers put A/B when you're basically an A already but they want to push you to do better) so adding the point your teacher has advised, and polishing it here and there (in my experience you can never have too many quotes/critical opinions that you then comment on in a piece of lit coursework. I'm hesitant to offer structural comments as I haven't seen the essay, and I don't want to comment blind and maybe make your style too stiff.
Reply 2
Original post by mscaffrey
Some encouragement: I got a D (my first and only D ever) in my A2 English literature coursework and got a high A in the end. I'd basically tried new things in my essay, abandoned my natural voice, and in the end when I just rewrote in naturally I got the higher mark. You're almost there (generally teachers put A/B when you're basically an A already but they want to push you to do better) so adding the point your teacher has advised, and polishing it here and there (in my experience you can never have too many quotes/critical opinions that you then comment on in a piece of lit coursework. I'm hesitant to offer structural comments as I haven't seen the essay, and I don't want to comment blind and maybe make your style too stiff.

Hahaa I know how you feel about the D thing xD

And ahhh thank you that was really helpful and encouraging! I'll definitely do what you suggested, please don't be hesitant to make structural suggestions, I need all the help I can get XD
Well I am just in my AS and haven't really started this play yet however as per my sir's advice I can give you a general tip that you should focus on the literary devices used..now whatever you are being asked to do in the question try to relate your answer with the different techniques the writer has used to portray that situation. When you make connections between the real text and your own opinion the examiner is impressed by your analysis and evaluation skills which usually ends up in a high grade. Hope this helps a bit:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Tehreem Fatima
Well I am just in my AS and haven't really started this play yet however as per my sir's advice I can give you a general tip that you should focus on the literary devices used..now whatever you are being asked to do in the question try to relate your answer with the different techniques the writer has used to portray that situation. When you make connections between the real text and your own opinion the examiner is impressed by your analysis and evaluation skills which usually ends up in a high grade. Hope this helps a bit:smile:

Thank you! Really helpful! What exactly do you mean by literary devices, i.e. metaphors etc?

Original post by jjc123crump
Hi. I recommend dropping english as it is useless
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing chem, bio and maths english is to show a contrast and my range of abilities because I want to apply for medicine.
Reply 5
Original post by jjc123crump
English is stupid for medicine. Medicine is a very logical subject founded on science, which is spcentred around maths. You won't stand a chance in uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

I CAN'T :laugh::laugh::laugh: hahaha, I'm more than capable of understanding what medicine is and what I need for it, I can't be bothered to argue with you at all it's so pathetic please leave the thread so I can actually get the help I posted for.
you are pretty much right about the literary devices like metaphors, similes, hyperbole e.t.c...however these are the literary devices falling in the figurative language category. You can also include the complex sentences, abrupt; short phrases or specific adjectives used by the writer to create a particular effect on some instance. If you think it matches or is relevant in any way to your question then be sure to add that because this will show the examiner that you are able to comprehend the actual purpose for which the writer used that literary device and are able to relate it with your answer. And as a matter of fact this is what Literature is about i.e. being able to think and comprehend classic texts with a higher thinking so... I will let you know more when I myself study this and have a class discussion on it(which will be soon)..till then i hope this is of some help:smile:
I am not a medical student!!!
Reply 8
Original post by Tehreem Fatima
you are pretty much right about the literary devices like metaphors, similes, hyperbole e.t.c...however these are the literary devices falling in the figurative language category. You can also include the complex sentences, abrupt; short phrases or specific adjectives used by the writer to create a particular effect on some instance. If you think it matches or is relevant in any way to your question then be sure to add that because this will show the examiner that you are able to comprehend the actual purpose for which the writer used that literary device and are able to relate it with your answer. And as a matter of fact this is what Literature is about i.e. being able to think and comprehend classic texts with a higher thinking so... I will let you know more when I myself study this and have a class discussion on it(which will be soon)..till then i hope this is of some help:smile:

Really helpful thanks, revised my work and took it back to my teacher again, feeling much happier now! Hahaa thanks a lot :biggrin:
no problem at all....it was great pleasure helping you and i look forward to further discussions with you in literature.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending