Confusion over University criteria... UNITS?

Watch
-Laureliz-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all,

In one of the university prospectuses I have seen that you require 300 UCAS points from A2 (6 unit) or 12 unit awards from a minimum of 18 units (any combination of VCE units/ A level units). I am from Northern Ireland, perhaps this is different over here? :confused:. What does this mean? I am currently studying Religious Studies (A Level), Information Communications and Technologies (A Level) and Health and Social Care (Applied A Level with OCR). Am I eligible for a course with this criteria provided I get the 300 UCAS points?
Thanks
User1333171
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by -Laureliz-)
Hi all,

In one of the university prospectuses I have seen that you require 300 UCAS points from A2 (6 unit) or 12 unit awards from a minimum of 18 units (any combination of VCE units/ A level units). I am from Northern Ireland, perhaps this is different over here? :confused:. What does this mean? I am currently studying Religious Studies (A Level), Information Communications and Technologies (A Level) and Health and Social Care (Applied A Level with OCR). Am I eligible for a course with this criteria provided I get the 300 UCAS points?
Thanks
Your A levels will count the same as 6 unit A levels do (some A levels only contain 4 units now-I'm guessing that might be why you're confused, it sounds like an out of date prospectus). They probably only mention units to distinguish between A levels and BTECs, which are the equivalent of double A levels (or 12 units).
-Laureliz-
Rep:
?
(Original post by mscaffrey)
Your A levels will count the same as 6 unit A levels do (some A levels only contain 4 units now-I'm guessing that might be why you're confused, it sounds like an out of date prospectus). They probably only mention units to distinguish between A levels and BTECs, which are the equivalent of double A levels (or 12 units).
Its a 2015 prospectus from LJMU:confused:
Thanks for your help
User1333171
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its a 2015 prospectus from LJMU:confused:
Thanks for your help
It's possible that they're using the same outline as previous years-it's not unknown for information to be out of date because something like that hasn't been spotted.

And it's no problem
jjc123crump
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi. Getting into high school it's a challenge. Just apply and give it your best at open day. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
-Laureliz-
Rep:
?
(Original post by mscaffrey)
It's possible that they're using the same outline as previous years-it's not unknown for information to be out of date because something like that hasn't been spotted.

And it's no problem
Do you reckon the A Level with OCR is 6 units? Its 50% Coursework and 50% Exam... I do it through a different school and we never had the ins and outs explained to us with regard to uni application.
-Laureliz-
Rep:
?
(Original post by jjc123crump)
Hi. Getting into high school it's a challenge. Just apply and give it your best at open day. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is university application. I am already at a grammar school. Thanks for the vote of confidence though!
User1333171
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you reckon the A Level with OCR is 6 units? Its 50% Coursework and 50% Exam... I do it through a different school and we never had the ins and outs explained to us with regard to uni application.
It looks like there's both a single and double award on that specification so it's going to be at least a 6 unit qualification. If it was a double award it would be a 12 unit one, but I think you'd know if you were doing a double award.
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
300 Points = BBB from three full A-levels.

The units is mostly intended to refer to BTECs, I think.
-Laureliz-
Rep:
?
(Original post by loperdoper)
300 Points = BBB from three full A-levels.

The units is mostly intended to refer to BTECs, I think.
Thanks, yeah it was just the units I was unsure of
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (606)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (749)
41.87%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (354)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.47%

Watched Threads