The Student Room Group

[To fashion design students] CSM, LCF, UEL, Ravensbourne?

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of applying for a fashion design course at uni next year,I'm just really confused on what the best choice is.
I'm sure all the universities give enough support to their students but what exactly makes a school perfect for your needs?
I know that CSM is the most competitive place where to study in, but fashion is a pretty much competitive subject anywhere so what's the difference between CSM and the other ones?
Would universities like Ravensbourne or UEL not open doors as much as CSM would?
And also, I know that these universities require a foundation year to ensure you a place at uni,but as long as you prepare a valid portfolio, isn't it enough to get into the course or will they specifically ask you to have gone through the foundation year? Cos I was thinking to get prepared on private sessions, and build up an outstanding portfolio without wasting a long time and a big amount of money doing a foundation course when all I need is just a good presentation of my work.

Let me know if you have any advice according to your experience.
Edd.
Reply 1
Original post by Edd.it
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of applying for a fashion design course at uni next year,I'm just really confused on what the best choice is.
I'm sure all the universities give enough support to their students but what exactly makes a school perfect for your needs?
I know that CSM is the most competitive place where to study in, but fashion is a pretty much competitive subject anywhere so what's the difference between CSM and the other ones?
Would universities like Ravensbourne or UEL not open doors as much as CSM would?
And also, I know that these universities require a foundation year to ensure you a place at uni,but as long as you prepare a valid portfolio, isn't it enough to get into the course or will they specifically ask you to have gone through the foundation year? Cos I was thinking to get prepared on private sessions, and build up an outstanding portfolio without wasting a long time and a big amount of money doing a foundation course when all I need is just a good presentation of my work.

Let me know if you have any advice according to your experience.
Edd.

hi i am on my way to completing a two year fine art corse BTEC level 3 (full time). I am applying for fashion design this year. the reason why you have to have completed a foundation before entering BA is not just to prepare an outstanding portfolio but to also physically and mentally train yourself for a BA. doing one subject especially ones within the arts full time, differs from doing it a couple times a week. a good foundation corse should be intensive, challenging but also incredibly independent. doing a foundation is not a wait of time or money. there is no rush when it comes to the arts, developing a personal aesthetic and self sense takes time to brew.

I recently went to an open day at csm and a few students who came there were from a-level, they asked if they needed to complete a foundation and one of the corse tutors said its a must. The current students at csm also emphasised that you must complete a foundation as it its truly beneficial.

i'm pretty shore that good universities for fashion look beyond presentation? They want to see depth in your work and ideas, something to propose for the future, not just how 'good' you are now. To show that you have the ability to grow etc... if you are 19 and under the csm foundation corse if free only with a small entry fee just over £100 i believe. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ronke_a
hi i am on my way to completing a two year fine art corse BTEC level 3 (full time). I am applying for fashion design this year. the reason why you have to have completed a foundation before entering BA is not just to prepare an outstanding portfolio but to also physically and mentally train yourself for a BA. doing one subject especially ones within the arts full time, differs from doing it a couple times a week. a good foundation corse should be intensive, challenging but also incredibly independent. doing a foundation is not a wait of time or money. there is no rush when it comes to the arts, developing a personal aesthetic and self sense takes time to brew.

I recently went to an open day at csm and a few students who came there were from a-level, they asked if they needed to complete a foundation and one of the corse tutors said its a must. The current students at csm also emphasised that you must complete a foundation as it its truly beneficial.

i'm pretty shore that good universities for fashion look beyond presentation? They want to see depth in your work and ideas, something to propose for the future, not just how 'good' you are now. To show that you have the ability to grow etc... if you are 19 and under the csm foundation corse if free only with a small entry fee just over £100 i believe. :smile:

Unfortunately I'm 24 so I'm not entiteled for the free course, but is any funding from the government or any scolarship I can apply for?
Also, is it REALLY necessary to go for a foundation at CSM or could it be any other college? It looks like quite a restrictive admission system. :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Edd.it
Unfortunately I'm 24 so I'm not entiteled for the free course, but is any funding from the government or any scolarship I can apply for?
Also, is it REALLY necessary to go for a foundation at CSM or could it be any other college? It looks like quite a restrictive admission system. :s-smilie:

Hey, as far as i'm concerned it doesn't matter if you do a foundation at csm or not. During the open day the corse lectures stated that they do get considered first as they apply though a different system but the application is considered as equal as anyone else's. I have done research on this uni to make shore its the right place for me, during my research I noticed that quite a few foundation students were over 19, some students even had industry experience. what qualifications have you currently received or are working towards so i can get a picture of what position you are in?

also the csm foundation corse is eligible for a loan form the government but the fashion folio corse is not. have you considered fashion folio?

omg i feel like a careers advisor, i'm only 17! :w00t:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ronke_a
Hey, as far as i'm concerned it doesn't matter if you do a foundation at csm or not. During the open day the corse lectures stated that they do get considered first as they apply though a different system but the application is considered as equal as anyone else's. I have done research on this uni to make shore its the right place for me, during my research I noticed that quite a few foundation students were over 19, some students even had industry experience. what qualifications have you currently received or are working towards so i can get a picture of what position you are in?

also the csm foundation corse is eligible for a loan form the government but the fashion folio corse is not. have you considered fashion folio?

omg i feel like a careers advisor, i'm only 17! :w00t:

Mmh I haven't really found anything about government loans for foundation course as I'm 24.

Well I thought about Fashion Folio which is less expensive and shorter than Foundation, but will it be enough to get a place?

Also I'm open to get a place in some other uni not strictly at CSM (that would be my biggest goal,but I don't wanna discard other universities).

I don't really have much experience in the field right now that's why I want to start studying and learn, I've only got my collection of drawings,my retail experience and few collaborations with a fashion photographer.
Reply 5
Original post by Edd.it
Mmh I haven't really found anything about government loans for foundation course as I'm 24.

Well I thought about Fashion Folio which is less expensive and shorter than Foundation, but will it be enough to get a place?

Also I'm open to get a place in some other uni not strictly at CSM (that would be my biggest goal,but I don't wanna discard other universities).

I don't really have much experience in the field right now that's why I want to start studying and learn, I've only got my collection of drawings,my retail experience and few collaborations with a fashion photographer.

Oh I understand. I would definiently sugest doing foundasion or the full fashion folio corse as there is a certain level of skill and experimentation you need to reach before even being considered for BA fashion at most universities. Many other collages and universities do foundation courses cheaper. Also good news, i also recently went to an open-day for westminster university for fashion design and the head of fashion design stated that you don't need to know how to sew or even have any fashion based work to go straight to there BA degree as they teach you all the basics in thefirst year, its about you ideas, potential and how 'unique' you are, having said that it is still an incredibly competitive high standard uni only 40 spaces for BA Fashion overall, thats it! Westminster is one of the top univercitys for fashion design, theu also have increadible links to the indusrty, trust me. Although thats not what matters, what matters is finding a corse that suits you and you can truly benifit form.

Quick Reply

Latest