SP29
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there, I have spent the last few days reading about going to back to Education and the path I will take.

I'm 29, Have worked FT & PT since leaving School with 0 GCSE's, I didn't sit any exams - Long story

Since being about 5 years old I've had a passion for Computing which has stayed with me, I've always had a keen interest in Hardware, Software, Maintenance, Security, Cryptography etc etc.

My goal is to study Computer Science / Computer Security at either Nottingham or Nottingham Trent. This seems a long way off lol

First things first, GCSE's I need for the uni and to get on the Access course to HE Diploma, I need 4 A*- C results with 2 of them being Maths and English Lang.
I would like to sit English, Science, Maths, Further Maths, Use of Maths, Physics, Chemistry & IT/ITC GCSE'S

I might do a few night classes or a long distance course & teach myself too, then privately sit the Exams at a School/College but this is where it become's awful confusing..

Everywhere I have called has said they will only allow me to sit the Exam, They will not allow me to sit Exams that have coursework as they cannot mark it. As far as I can tell they all have coursework except Maths so where does that leave me?

I understand I can take say 3 different English modules at 3 different places and that's fine but they all seem only offer the final exam.

Sorry for the long post, Any guidance is much appreciated!

Thankyou.
User1333171
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SP29)
Hi there, I have spent the last few days reading about going to back to Education and the path I will take.

I'm 29, Have worked FT & PT since leaving School with 0 GCSE's, I didn't sit any exams - Long story

Since being about 5 years old I've had a passion for Computing which has stayed with me, I've always had a keen interest in Hardware, Software, Maintenance, Security, Cryptography etc etc.

My goal is to study Computer Science / Computer Security at either Nottingham or Nottingham Trent. This seems a long way off lol

First things first, GCSE's I need for the uni and to get on the Access course to HE Diploma, I need 4 A*- C results with 2 of them being Maths and English Lang.
I would like to sit English, Science, Maths, Further Maths, Use of Maths, Physics, Chemistry & IT/ITC GCSE'S

I might do a few night classes or a long distance course & teach myself too, then privately sit the Exams at a School/College but this is where it become's awful confusing..

Everywhere I have called has said they will only allow me to sit the Exam, They will not allow me to sit Exams that have coursework as they cannot mark it. As far as I can tell they all have coursework except Maths so where does that leave me?

I understand I can take say 3 different English modules at 3 different places and that's fine but they all seem only offer the final exam.

Thankyou.
Coursework is the sticking point for private candidates, unfortunately. All I can suggest is enrolling in night classes where you can sit the GCSEs through the college-that way everything will be included. Maybe someone else will have more experience and be able to help you in terms of who can mark your coursework, but I was taught at home and basically rejected the idea of sitting exams as a private candidate because I couldn't even find a centre willing to let me sit the exams never mind mark my coursework. I ended up sitting my GCSEs at a sixth form college on a one year course designed for resit candidates.
Chloe Hall
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SP29)

Thankyou.
Hi,

Depending on where you live you could go to your local college and ask about what options you have and what courses are available to you. English and math are usually offered at GCSE level possibly with science? Btec courses are available if that is of any interest to you?

I hope you find this helpful.
jkb1955
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To avoid coursework ( or more importantly controlled classroom assessments, you will need to do IGCSEs in most subjects ( see the Edexcel website - either IGCSE or Edexcel Certificates) - for English language and sciences. Maths has no coursework so GCSE is fine. Additional maths is either OCR FSMQ or Edexcel IGCSE further pure maths. ICT and Computing is unlikely to be easy to find a centre as lots of practicial but CIE ( Cambridge) do IGCSE computer science with no practical.
SP29
Rep:
?
Thanks for the informative advice, Very much appreciated!

I wasn't aware of IGCSE's, With them Being just an Exam without the coursework that sounds just the ticket.

Will the Exam centres that accept private candidates on the Edexcel website allow me to sit IGCSE instead of GCSE's? I have a lot of calling to do!

I will be looking to sit

GCSE - Maths

IGCSE - Further Pure Maths

IGCSE - English Lang

IGCSE - Science (Double)

IGCSE - Physics

IGCSE - Chemistry

Do you think it's likely I'll find somewhere that allows me to sit all of the above? I'm not sure how common IGCSE's are?

Thanks again,
jkb1955
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is no point in sitting double sciences and separate physics/chemistry - as a) the unis won't count them as the contentt overlaps - and
b) you can't enter them at the same sitting anyway as the 1st paper of each separate science is in fact the same as the double sciences papers - so they are a banned code combination.
So do the separate physics and chemistry and if you need a 3rd extra subject do biology or CIE IGCSE environmental management or computer science ( although it is easier to find an exam centre for Edexcel IGCSEs than CIE IGCSEs in most parts of the country.

What area are you looking for? - trying to find a cntre isthe most important next step
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
You only need to do IGCSEs in English Language and Maths. I don't know why you think you need at least 4, you don't - I just checked the Nottingham website and for Computer Science they only require GCSEs is Maths (grade B) and English (grade C).
SP29
Rep:
?
(Original post by jkb1955)
There is no point in sitting double sciences and separate physics/chemistry - as a) the unis won't count them as the contentt overlaps - and
b) you can't enter them at the same sitting anyway as the 1st paper of each separate science is in fact the same as the double sciences papers - so they are a banned code combination.
So do the separate physics and chemistry and if you need a 3rd extra subject do biology or CIE IGCSE environmental management or computer science ( although it is easier to find an exam centre for Edexcel IGCSEs than CIE IGCSEs in most parts of the country.

What area are you looking for? - trying to find a cntre isthe most important next step
Ah I see, Thanks for the info. I am looking around the Nottinghamshire area, I have found a few that will accept for IGCSE's, I just need to know exactly how many I need to do then will book.

(Original post by Samual)
You only need to do IGCSEs in English Language and Maths. I don't know why you think you need at least 4, you don't - I just checked the Nottingham website and for Computer Science they only require GCSEs is Maths (grade B) and English (grade C).
I am looking to do an Access course for Level 3 Computing Access to HE Diploma , which states they requires 4x GCSE A* - C with 2 being English & Maths.

I figure I'll do 5-6 GCSE's so the chances of me getting 4 A* - C's on 4 of them are better lol.

Thanks again for help, Keep the advice coming its very very appreciated!
PrittyVacant
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would first look at the course requirements on the university websites. For example, I wish to study Social work and 5 A*-C grade (incl Eng Lang and Math) are only required in combination with As/ALevels, BTECs etc.

It's made quite clear (for my course), with regard to Access to HE, that you don't need the GCSEs in Eng Lang and Maths, as English and Maths are included in the access course at Level 3 - which surpasses the GCSE level anyway.

All that was required to get ontothe Access course, was sitting an assessment to make sure you were currently already achieving Level 2...

That said, my cousin completed an access course 2 years ago and was made a conditional offer for his university course that he also had to re-sit his maths GCSE and get a C pass at the college, which he did concurrently with his access course...
jkb1955
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is a huge variation - at a local college you can't even get a conditional offer of a place on any access course without already having GCSE maths and English....
jkb1955
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths GCSE, English, physics and chem IGCSE are fairly straightforward - for the IGCSES in Physics and chemistry Pearsons ( who own Edexcel) sell the syllabus specific textbook and set the exams, so it make sense to follow the textbook! For maths any GCSE maths textbook will do. Not sure doing IGCSE further pure maths is a good idea unless you are really good at maths - it is quite hard!( I am a maths teacher!) For English the Edexcel IGCSE 4EB0 is the simplest - no set texts!

IF you can't find a centre which also offers the Cambridge exams and you really want to sit more than 4 - find something simple in the GCSEs ( RS - the philosophy and Ethics AQA version is pretty simple, or psychology/sociology and law also have no courswork, but probably need quite a bit of study!

If you are planning on doing the lot by June - get started soon!
SP29
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrittyVacant)
I would first look at the course requirements on the university websites. For example, I wish to study Social work and 5 A*-C grade (incl Eng Lang and Math) are only required in combination with As/ALevels, BTECs etc.

It's made quite clear (for my course), with regard to Access to HE, that you don't need the GCSEs in Eng Lang and Maths, as English and Maths are included in the access course at Level 3 - which surpasses the GCSE level anyway.

All that was required to get ontothe Access course, was sitting an assessment to make sure you were currently already achieving Level 2...

That said, my cousin completed an access course 2 years ago and was made a conditional offer for his university course that he also had to re-sit his maths GCSE and get a C pass at the college, which he did concurrently with his access course...
The Access course requires 4 grade A* -C 2 of them being Maths & English Lang.
My preferred Uni (Nottingham) states:
''Required subjects:
GCSE maths grade B or above.

Preferred subjects: Computing, Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths, Use of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Statistics.''

Ideally I'd like to do all the above or as many as possible.

Maths GCSE, English, physics and chem IGCSE are fairly straightforward - for the IGCSES in Physics and chemistry Pearsons ( who own Edexcel) sell the syllabus specific textbook and set the exams, so it make sense to follow the textbook! For maths any GCSE maths textbook will do. Not sure doing IGCSE further pure maths is a good idea unless you are really good at maths - it is quite hard!( I am a maths teacher!) For English the Edexcel IGCSE 4EB0 is the simplest - no set texts!

IF you can't find a centre which also offers the Cambridge exams and you really want to sit more than 4 - find something simple in the GCSEs ( RS - the philosophy and Ethics AQA version is pretty simple, or psychology/sociology and law also have no courswork, but probably need quite a bit of study!

If you are planning on doing the lot by June - get started soon!
Thanks for the advice. Just to confirm, Are all iGCSE's the same regardless of issuing board?

I think to have the best chance of getting into Nottingham I'll sit as many of the preferred subjects as I can, Maths was my strongest subject at School but thanks for letting me know Further Maths is quite hard I'll study more for it.

I have found a School that will accept me for either
AQA, OCR, Edexcel, WJEC exams.

I see Edexcel offer iGCSE's in most subjects I require, English Lang (4EB0), Chemistry (4CH0), Physics (4PH0), Further Maths (4PM0), Economics (4EC0), ICT (4IT0) plus GCSE Maths. 7 exams in total.
I'm just missing Statistics, Use of Maths and Computing/Computer Science (Is this same same as ICT?)

I will be looking to book myself onto these Exams in the next few weeks then buying books to begin studying December for next summer. If I find myself struggling with any particular subjects (Probably English!) I might hire a private tutor for a few hours.

Thanks again for all the really helpful advice!

jkb1955
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sitting the ICT may be an issue - not many centres offer it ( as it has a 3 hour practical) where as the rest of the Edexcel IGCSEs are all written papers, so most exam centres are happy with that. There is no easily doable stats GCSE ( the GCSE is 50% coursework) and only CIE do an easily doable without coursework computer science, but as I sad it can be hard to find a CIE centre outside London and parts of the south.

There is little point in doing a 3rd maths GCSE ( Use of Maths) as there will be overlap so probably worn't be counted by unis anyway.
So you need to check with centre about the ICT practical, get entered ( most have a closing date around the end of Jan) and start working!! Good luck!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PrittyVacant)
Beware that this no longer holds true for the many unis/courses. Generally, unis no longer accept Access course content as being equivalent to Maths and English GCSEs and they will require separate GCSEs for those subjects of grade A-C. Some science-based degrees also need a Science GCSE.

It can differ between unis/courses, but I'd always advise checking with your target uni to be absolutely sure. These GCSE qualifications can form part of a conditional offer.
PrittyVacant
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
Beware that this no longer holds true for the many unis/courses. Generally, unis no longer accept Access course content as being equivalent to Maths and English GCSEs and they will require separate GCSEs for those subjects of grade A-C. Some science-based degrees also need a Science GCSE.

It can differ between unis/courses, but I'd always advise checking with your target uni to be absolutely sure. These GCSE qualifications can form part of a conditional offer.
Yeah, agreed - as was the case with my cousin. As it happened, all 12 of my GCSEs were C and above, so was of no consequence to me personally, but I do know that that is stated on the entry requirements for my particular course, so always worth double checked with the uni specifically in question, either by phone or email
SP29
Rep:
?
Sitting the ICT may be an issue - not many centres offer it ( as it has a 3 hour practical) where as the rest of the Edexcel IGCSEs are all written papers, so most exam centres are happy with that. There is no easily doable stats GCSE ( the GCSE is 50% coursework) and only CIE do an easily doable without coursework computer science, but as I sad it can be hard to find a CIE centre outside London and parts of the south.

There is little point in doing a 3rd maths GCSE ( Use of Maths) as there will be overlap so probably worn't be counted by unis anyway.
So you need to check with centre about the ICT practical, get entered ( most have a closing date around the end of Jan) and start working!! Good luck!
I haven't asked if the School will allow me to sit the ICT iGCSE yet, I found a local School that will allow me to sit Cambridge iGCSE's, They've confirmed I can sit Computer Science (0478) so I'm happy about that.
I don't think there's any need to sit the ICT iGCSE now that I can sit the Computer Science iGCSE with the Cambridge Board.

My list stands as;

GCSE - Maths - Any Board
iGCSE - Further Pure Maths - Edexcel
iGCSE - English Lang - Edexcel
iGCSE - Physics - Edexcel
iGCSE - Chemistry - Edexcel
iGCSE - Economics - Edexcel
iGCSE - Computer Science - Cambridge

That's about as close as I can get to the ''Preferred Subjects'' Nottingham uni lists.

Thanks again,

SP.
SP29
Rep:
?
I have the admissions tutors name & Email address for the Level 3 Access course, Do you think now is the right time to introduce myself to him, Stating my intentions, The exams I'll be taking next summer etc.

Is the admissions tutor able to offer me a conditional place to start in Sep 2015 dependant on my iGCSE results? As I understand it I will get my iGCSE reults on 21st August, 2 weeks before the Access course starts!

Thanks again,.

SP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (166)
14.61%
I'm not sure (52)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.49%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (549)
48.33%

Watched Threads