Institution to train as a technician for industrial diesels and hydraulics?

Watch
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
i hope someone can point me to the right direction here.

But does anyone know if in UK there is a program at a school or college where one can do a course under 6 months to train or prepare specifically for the theoretical aspects of how to be a technician for engines and hydraulics that goes into a CAT or John Deere machinery?

Also ideally does not require any GCSE qualifications and open to those above the age of 21.

Must be in English only and reach either NVQ Level III.

Thanks in advance
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you say machinery, do you mean agricultural/construction machinery made by Cat and Deere or just the engines? Both resell engines for other OEMs to incorporate into their equipment, but there's a lot more to the whole machine than just the engine side of things.

Either way, there will be generalised courses which will teach principles of machinery/engines in principle (e.g. this one) but specific training will almost certainly be provided by the manufacturer. These days one of the key aspects will be the software and hardware used for electronic diagnostics, which will generally be manufacturer specific. Whether they'd be prepared to offer that training to someone not working as a technician for one of their dealers I couldn't say. I suspect an apprenticeship at a dealer is the normal route in, but I guess that's not the kind of thing you're looking for.

If you want, send me a PM with a bit more detail on what you're trying to do - I may be able to give a little more info but I don't want to post it in the main forum.

Ben
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A degree in tribology might be a good start!
Sam Walters
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just my comment on this. There is no NVQ level 3 course work having that will take you 6 months. Put it this way. The one I'm on at level 3 takes 3 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
26.05%
Less motivated (88)
73.95%

Watched Threads