The Student Room Group

I have no idea what I may be entitled to

Hello,

I was wondering if you had some advice on what I may be entitled to (NOT looking for amounts £).

I'm a mature student, currently completing an Access to HE course at my local college, with 24+ funding in place.

I have just sent off my UCAS application, but I wondered what I am entitled to in terms of maintenance/tuition fees - does the fact I have 3 dependent children make a difference to my entitlement?

I'm just a bit confused. I want to study Social Work, and recently found out at an open day that 1st year students are no longer eligible for the NHS bursary (and subsequent years, 2 & 3, only a handful of students receive it upon application).

I have zero idea of bursaries/grants that may be available to me, as obviously I have school age children, I would require help with childcare etc.

Also, where do I stand in terms of housing benefit/child tax credit entitlement?

Lastly, is the child maintenance I receive for my children, taken into account when working out maintenance/tuition loans? I know it is not taken into account for means tested benefits or my 24+ loan, but not sure for normal loans.

Oh and one very last thing,am I right in thinking that if I go on to study HE after completing my FE course, that my 24+ loan is non-repayable?

Thanks in advance,
Hi There,

If you're completing an under graduate social work course as a first degree, you can apply for full funding from SFE.

Funding will include a maintenance loan, tuition fee loan and maintenance grant. You can also apply for for dependents grants (parents learning allowance/childcare etc).

You may also be entitled to a social work bursary (you should contact the general social care council for info on this).

Your child maintenance will not be taken into account.

Please contact HMRC /Benefits office for info on tax credits and housing benefits etc.

You will only start repaying once your working and earning over £21,000.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending