The Student Room Group

I am struggling right now.. Being abroad and social anxiety

I would really appreciate if someone could hear me out and give me a but of advice

ok so I am currently on my year abroad (erasmus) and i do love it, but for the past couple of days i have been feeling really down and do not want to leave the house. I dont feel depressed, i still have an appetite and enjoy doing things like listening to music reading book etc but i am just feeling overwhelmed by the experience

As a child i was very happy but quiet, then in sixth form i developed very bad social anxiety... Throughout uni i got a lot better and i am more comfortable around people, and i keep making progress.. For example in the summer i worked as an aupair... I do like my year abroad, and have gone out of my comfort zone many times but right now i just feel exhausted and as though i am failing somehow

Also i am taking a spanish language module, where i am in a very small group with other erasmus students... I take part now and then, especially in the exercises but i am more of a listener.... The spanish teacher keeps pointing out that i need to talk more.. I literally feel like crying when she does this.

I know 3 years ago it would have been impossible for me to do this so i am proud... But when i compare myself to others or get explicitly reminded that i am too quiet i get really down :frown:

Also ive missed quite a lot of classes this week. Although my grades arnt important this year... I feel stupid when i miss them, just this week i have had no energy to go

Anyway, sorry for the rant i just need to tell someone how im feeling
Original post by Anonymous
I would really appreciate if someone could hear me out and give me a but of advice

ok so I am currently on my year abroad (erasmus) and i do love it, but for the past couple of days i have been feeling really down and do not want to leave the house. I dont feel depressed, i still have an appetite and enjoy doing things like listening to music reading book etc but i am just feeling overwhelmed by the experience

As a child i was very happy but quiet, then in sixth form i developed very bad social anxiety... Throughout uni i got a lot better and i am more comfortable around people, and i keep making progress.. For example in the summer i worked as an aupair... I do like my year abroad, and have gone out of my comfort zone many times but right now i just feel exhausted and as though i am failing somehow

Also i am taking a spanish language module, where i am in a very small group with other erasmus students... I take part now and then, especially in the exercises but i am more of a listener.... The spanish teacher keeps pointing out that i need to talk more.. I literally feel like crying when she does this.

I know 3 years ago it would have been impossible for me to do this so i am proud... But when i compare myself to others or get explicitly reminded that i am too quiet i get really down :frown:

Also ive missed quite a lot of classes this week. Although my grades arnt important this year... I feel stupid when i miss them, just this week i have had no energy to go

Anyway, sorry for the rant i just need to tell someone how im feeling

Having studied abroad I totally know how you feel. I actually began counting days until I could go home.

What I honestly recommend you do is get involved in as much as possible. I know going out is the last thing you want to do now but by the end of your experience you will regret not having gone out more. It will keep you occupied and keep your mind away from how you are feeling right now.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by EloiseStar
Having studied abroad I totally know how you feel. I actually began counting days until I could go home.

What I honestly recommend you do is get involved in as much as possible. I know going out is the last thing you want to do now but by the end of your experience you will regret not having gone out more. It will keep you occupied and keep your mind away from how you are feeling right now.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply. I will keep making sure i am accepting invites out etc

Do you think i should worry about missing classes? My grades dont count this year but i think i should still be working

And have you got any tips for trying to be more vocal in class?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for your reply. I will keep making sure i am accepting invites out etc

Do you think i should worry about missing classes? My grades dont count this year but i think i should still be working

And have you got any tips for trying to be more vocal in class?

Try not to worry about anything. But try to go to your classes. It might not count but you will benefit from going, plus it will keep you busy and keep your mind off your worries. Honestly, keeping busy can be the best thing for you.

Being more vocal? Don't be afraid to get something wrong. At least you tried!
Reply 4

Good luck!

Try not to worry about anything. But try to go to your classes. It might not count but you will benefit from going, plus it will keep you busy and keep your mind off your worries. Honestly, keeping busy can be the best thing for you.

Being more vocal? Don't be afraid to get something wrong. At least you tried!

Good luck!

heya thanks for your advise.. so its a few months later. i have done lots of things outside my comfort zone and stuff, but i ddnt study well and did very badly in january exams

i want to make these last few months as positive as possible and be a better tudent but i have a little problem with my flat

so two people left after first semester, and i got two new flatmates but then after a week they changed their mind and moved somewhere else. by that point most people had already found houses. now the other girl im living with has decided to move!! so its just me

luckily i know the landlord so ive asked if i could get a bit of a reduction if its just me

buut i think it could be good for me to live on my own

i would feel so much happier and more comfortable

are u glad u did ur erasmus?

Quick Reply

Latest